Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Granaboard 2013 virtual gathering

Merry late-mas ya animals! BTW, Genesis has better sound than SNES, pass it on!

Senior Hostboard Member midnightryder259's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Ringing in the new year by having moved.

If I had to compare the sounds, I'd say the SNES was like a straight line in the center of a chart. The Genesis is a zig-zagging line on that same chart. SNES can't sound all that bad, but not all that great either. Genesis can go anywhere from god awful to top notch. It's like the difference between an MP3 player and playing an instrument. The MP3 player will perfectly play that recorded song, but it won't sound anywhere near as nice as when the original artist, who has it down to a science, plays it live. On the flip side, a recording can be mixed beyond what the artist is actually capable of, proving the instrument could go either way.

Also emulation goes out of it's way to make the SNES sound better than the console is capable of, while it still hasn't really pegged the way a model 1(the best sounding model, at least the version with "High Definition Graphics" written across the top)Genesis sounds yet.
    Last edited by midnightryder259; January 2nd, 2016 at 09:28 PM.
    "And I've got one more silver dollar, but I'm no gonna let 'em catch me, no, not gonna let 'em catch the Midnight Rider." - The Allman Brothers Band, Midnight Rider

Senior Hostboard Member That_Bojack's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The way I figure, (yes, I'm still alive) is that the SNES could do more, what the Genesis could do well........... it did like, 3x better than the SNES. It's loud, it can be harsh as hell, it can haul ass, do proper distorted guitar (clearly too) or........ in the hands of lame ass devs, it could sound awful. I guess it was just easier to do decent SNES music and it was also easier to be overrated because it could that opera scene in FFVI or something.

And Model 1 Gen is boss AF cuz of the headphone jack. That ish was the best!

Junior Hostboard Member johnson33's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Well said!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by johnson33 View Post
    Well said!
    Hi, I don't recall you from around here before or from the Gamefaqs days but welcome aboard!!! Also Phaq, I didn't forget about this place Ive just been stooooopid busy lately. Email is a good way to kit atm. Laters!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Well, at 10 posts overall, I don't imagine they've been here a long time.

I did send an email btw, about a month back. Basically I moved, and going on 3 months, I'm still adjusting to it.

Almost find myself missing the ol' Dreamcast(still the best version of this game as far as I know), but I'm sure I'd be on my 3rd or 4th one by now(****ing moving parts). Plus, even if emulation was good enough, I hate the file size of ISO's, compared to cartridge roms(which thankfully didn't have the space/tech for FMV's).
    "And I've got one more silver dollar, but I'm no gonna let 'em catch me, no, not gonna let 'em catch the Midnight Rider." - The Allman Brothers Band, Midnight Rider

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by midnightryder259 View Post
    Well, at 10 posts overall, I don't imagine they've been here a long time.

I did send an email btw, about a month back. Basically I moved, and going on 3 months, I'm still adjusting to it.

Almost find myself missing the ol' Dreamcast(still the best version of this game as far as I know), but I'm sure I'd be on my 3rd or 4th one by now(****ing moving parts). Plus, even if emulation was good enough, I hate the file size of ISO's, compared to cartridge roms(which thankfully didn't have the space/tech for FMV's).
    I like to think that Xbox is the current iteration of the Dreamcast. It's like, the windows compatibility with the DC, the 4 controller ports and added modem and hdd of the Xbox original and the similar controllers makes XBone almost like Dreamcast 4 or something. I did manage to get an Xbone and I love the damn thing. MS managed to perfect the analog triggers beyond belief and the system itself is cool.

I coulda swore I replied to that email too!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I never got anything, unless it turned up in the spam box for whatever reason, and I didn't look before emptying it.

Still a little ill from a couple weeks backs. At worst now I get an occasional cough, and I still get phlegm in the morning, but that last bit has been normal for a while. Probably a sinus or something.

Have you ever played a game years later and thought "I should have had this back then."? For me that would easily be Streets of Rage 2. Some would argue that Turtles in Time, or one of the later Final Fights is the best 16-bit beat 'em up. SNES, or casual genre, fans I would think. SoR2 is basically perfection. Well O.K., it has it's flaws, but you can fight more than 3 or 4 enemies at a time . Everyone in SoR2 is so vastly different too, from their move sets, to their general movement, to how they handle weapons. It just satisfies the beat 'em up itch, every single time I play it. Of course now there's the PC exclusive Streets of Rage Remake, which can be found at the series biggest fan site.

If I'm still sticking to the Genesis(and I'm not sure I see a reality in which I don't ), the other game would be Pirates! Gold. This game is worth a million of Square & Enix's best efforts. An adventure game with infinite potential, vs. random battles with the story laid out for you. I know I prefer the former anyway, and I easily would have back then as well.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by midnightryder259 View Post
    I never got anything, unless it turned up in the spam box for whatever reason, and I didn't look before emptying it.

Still a little ill from a couple weeks backs. At worst now I get an occasional cough, and I still get phlegm in the morning, but that last bit has been normal for a while. Probably a sinus or something.

Have you ever played a game years later and thought "I should have had this back then."? For me that would easily be Streets of Rage 2. Some would argue that Turtles in Time, or one of the later Final Fights is the best 16-bit beat 'em up. SNES, or casual genre, fans I would think. SoR2 is basically perfection. Well O.K., it has it's flaws, but you can fight more than 3 or 4 enemies at a time . Everyone in SoR2 is so vastly different too, from their move sets, to their general movement, to how they handle weapons. It just satisfies the beat 'em up itch, every single time I play it. Of course now there's the PC exclusive Streets of Rage Remake, which can be found at the series biggest fan site.

If I'm still sticking to the Genesis(and I'm not sure I see a reality in which I don't ), the other game would be Pirates! Gold. This game is worth a million of Square & Enix's best efforts. An adventure game with infinite potential, vs. random battles with the story laid out for you. I know I prefer the former anyway, and I easily would have back then as well.
    I just got over being sick as hell, luckly not like, terminal life sick but got knocked on my ass for a few days for sure!

My "why didn't I play this before" came recently with Klonoa. I saw it for 20 bux a pop back in HS, it's now a 150 bux but I can play it on PSN........ it's a great game to boot, not just rare as balls.

Pirates! Gold............... it's not a complex SRPG is it?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Pirates! is a hard game to define, genre-wise. Some consider it an RPG, though there aren't stats to deal with, and if anything, the character gets worse with time(age, though you start getting poorer in your 30's..., then again it is the 1600's). Some consider it strategy, even though a lot of aspects are real time. You might consider it a sim. On the whole I figure it's a sandbox game, before Grand Theft Auto made the concept popular, ironically with the original version of that crime.

The Gold edition ported to the Genesis was the best way to play the game for 11 years, before Sid Meier's Pirates! However if you don't care for discs/gaming past a certain generation(original X-Box and PSP ports, btw), then this is still the best version you'd play.

You choose what era, 20 years apart, to start in, your characters last name, your nationality(English, French, Spanish, or Dutch), and what your character is good at, then you get a bit of story before you're thrown into a sword fight. Once you win that, you're randomly in one of the cities your country owns, and you're free to play the game however you want. You can be a privateer(do missions for governors, or attack the ships/towns of countries yours is at war with, as well as capture pirates for them. Do enough and you get promoted, which at the right rank, you can get married to a governors daughter. You can also get acres of land as you please the governors), you can just fight everyone and sneak into towns, you can go on treasure hunts, or you can even try to accomplish the 10 great pirate quests(basically the goal of the game, if you don't just want to play it your own way. Chances are you'll still do some of these during the course of playing your own way anyway). Then when you're done, you can retire and see how your characters life turns out.

As you can imagine, like western developed games tend to be, it's quite expansive. The ability to play it your own way, and sort of make your own story as you go along, makes it.
    Last edited by midnightryder259; April 29th, 2016 at 11:02 AM.