Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Granaboard 2013 virtual gathering

Quote Originally Posted by midnightryder259 View Post

Edit: Well, Nintendo killed the Metroid 2 remake...
    To be honest tho' they can't really afford to let people run amok with their IP. Nintendo protects their image like stuck pigs. All about that boring ass legal precedent type stuff. Also, they're notoriously against doing cool shit like simply licensing said Metroid 2 remake unless it's their idea.

Senior Hostboard Member midnightryder259's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Yeah, they've been on a fan game rampage lately. Personally, I'd prefer hobbyist developers take inspiration from, without using the assets of, their favorite games. I mean, I'm not a fan of Pokemon, but one fan game created 150 original monsters, while taking it's story in a different direction than Game Freak ever has. That's enough effort that it could have been it's own game without the GF/Nintendo license.

Myself, I've been getting into the non-gaming Sonic media. The old Saturday morning cartoon, while a bit cheesy at times, hasn't aged badly.

Been reading the comics too. If people complain about the extra characters in the games, they're damn sure not going to care for the comics, which kind of picks up from said cartoon(though it starts with the same background of Robotnik having taken over the world, it also starts with the ridiculous tone of the weekday cartoon. For example, for the longest time, a lot of Robotniks robots would make fun of his weight, to his face).
    "And I've got one more silver dollar, but I'm no gonna let 'em catch me, no, not gonna let 'em catch the Midnight Rider." - The Allman Brothers Band, Midnight Rider

Senior Hostboard Member That_Bojack's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I had a few issues of the Archie Sonic comics growing up. I'm always surprised by how long it's lasted. I dunno if they're still making more but damn that comic had a long run.

In other news.............. I JUST FOUND OUT THERE WAS A GRANDIA 1.5 ON SATURN JAPAN ZOAOSIDFJOQWIEGJIUOR3RT3R5G8U095T809UTEJOGBU DFL KASJD FLKJS DFGKLJ M OMG OMG OMG OMG I GOTTA PLAY IT!!!!!!!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I'm actually caught up on the comics now. It has always done exceptionally well, from what I can tell. There gets to be a point where it's kind of irritating, because you missed story elements due to one offs and mini series. Anyway, the main book and Sonic Universe are both wrapping up the broken world arc, that was started with the reboot at the end of the first Mega Man crossover. I guess that had to happen, because a former writer is being a dick, so they can't use any characters he came up with. Kind of works out though, because it matches the games more now, and they've gotten pretty creative in their own right.

As for Grandia, all the Saturn has is the original, which you're better off with the PS1 version, since it was localized, and Grandia Digital Museum, which is a disc specifically for explaining the characters and world. Kind of like how the SNES satellite thing had a similar museum program for Chrono Trigger. The only direct sequel, of sorts, to Grandia is the Game Boy Color game, which I made a thread here (Grandia: Parallel Trippers...) 5 years ago for the fan translation.

As for a new game that has my interest:
    River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS - GameFAQs
    Can't find much of anything for information, but from what I can tell, it basically has the same gameplay as River City Ransom, with a dodgeball mode too.

Also, I might be interested in the next Sonic Boom(which is also supposed to have come out today), if it turns out well. Didn't look terrible from what I could make out. At the same time, who could be as excited for it as for Sonic Mania though? I hope that gets a later physical release for the handhelds, like Shovel Knight did.

I'm also hoping for the possibility of the next 3D Sega collection getting localized. Thunder Force III(oh, yeah, they own Technosofts IPs now), Gunstar Heroes, Sonic 2, Streets of Rage 2, Turbo Outrun, Super Hang-On, and After Burner II, with 2 more games to be announced. Those first 4 alone would justify the purchase(and the latter 3 are most likely the arcade versions).
    "And I've got one more silver dollar, but I'm no gonna let 'em catch me, no, not gonna let 'em catch the Midnight Rider." - The Allman Brothers Band, Midnight Rider

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by midnightryder259 View Post
    I'm actually caught up on the comics now. It has always done exceptionally well, from what I can tell. There gets to be a point where it's kind of irritating, because you missed story elements due to one offs and mini series. Anyway, the main book and Sonic Universe are both wrapping up the broken world arc, that was started with the reboot at the end of the first Mega Man crossover. I guess that had to happen, because a former writer is being a dick, so they can't use any characters he came up with. Kind of works out though, because it matches the games more now, and they've gotten pretty creative in their own right.

As for Grandia, all the Saturn has is the original, which you're better off with the PS1 version, since it was localized, and Grandia Digital Museum, which is a disc specifically for explaining the characters and world. Kind of like how the SNES satellite thing had a similar museum program for Chrono Trigger. The only direct sequel, of sorts, to Grandia is the Game Boy Color game, which I made a thread here (Grandia: Parallel Trippers...) 5 years ago for the fan translation.

As for a new game that has my interest:
    River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS - GameFAQs
    Can't find much of anything for information, but from what I can tell, it basically has the same gameplay as River City Ransom, with a dodgeball mode too.

Also, I might be interested in the next Sonic Boom(which is also supposed to have come out today), if it turns out well. Didn't look terrible from what I could make out. At the same time, who could be as excited for it as for Sonic Mania though? I hope that gets a later physical release for the handhelds, like Shovel Knight did.

I'm also hoping for the possibility of the next 3D Sega collection getting localized. Thunder Force III(oh, yeah, they own Technosofts IPs now), Gunstar Heroes, Sonic 2, Streets of Rage 2, Turbo Outrun, Super Hang-On, and After Burner II, with 2 more games to be announced. Those first 4 alone would justify the purchase(and the latter 3 are most likely the arcade versions).
    Sonic Mania has me at half mast man........... looks sooooooooo good. I would like to see SEGA start doing more to port their 90's arcade games to current gen with strong multiplayer support if they haven't yet done so.

See, I have G1 on the PS1 already and played it twice. I don't care that it's not a very big game but it's just more Grandia 1 engine and characters. I would pay handsomely for a proper sequel to Grandia 1, it's much stronger than 2, and makes 3 look like a cluster. I'm also stunned it slipped under my radar until I got a Japanese Saturn and found out the "literal J"RPG's are so good.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I just got through a JRPG, 3DS version of Tales of the Abyss. Enjoyable as it was, it also reminded me of a prime aspect of why I don't generally like the genre. I hate the time commitment. It's why I'm not terribly fond of the post-2D cartridge era, or basically the last 20 years of gaming.

That said, I kind of want to pick up a Vita now. Dragon's Crown was my key reason before, but now they're localizing a Berserk licensed Dynasty Warriors game too. 2 beat 'em ups, possibly both with RPG elements, but still beat 'em ups(Also ports of console games, but I don't feel like picking up consoles, and dealing with discs...).

The other, 3D, Sonic("project 2017" so far) looks like it might have some potential too. It sound like they're going with the Unleashed(day time levels)/Colors/Generations engine. This could be hopeful if they one day start to learn how to include the other characters, and incorporate a way to find their own paths/shortcuts through the same stages Sonic runs through. It's not Generations 2(they say), but classic Sonic returns. Some people are bitching that they're playing it safe, and relying too much on classic Sonic, but these are anniversary games. They might have a legitimate complaint if they're still using him in new games from 2018-2020(2021 would be the next 5 year anniversary, at 30), but for now, I'm thinking they're just making anniversary games.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Vitas a good platform. You can get a tonna ps1 games for dirt cheap. And Sonic anniversary looks hella tight! Its made for Sonics glory days!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Yeah, I don't doubt it's just about as good as the 3DS, but If you remove digital only and foreign regions, the library really shrinks... I saw Jet Set(was "Grind" on the Dreamcast) Radio, but it was digital only.

Speaking of, my 3DS collection grew:
    Hyrule Warriors Legends - ...and now I don't think I care about that Berserk game, if the whole series is going to turn out like this. Too much "stop what you're doing and go here and do this instead, even though you were ordered to do what you're doing." That and the weakpoint system, and how much worse it is on giant monsters, which I can't imagine a Berserk game not having.

Super Street Fighter IV 3D - so yeah, I'm this late to the party on SFIV. I like how this version gives you everyone from the start. I think all you unlock here is being able to see endings without going through arcade mode again.

Shinobi - The later stages got so brutal, I went through it from the beginning on the Beginner difficulty. Classic style gameplay, modern stage development sensibilities. Anyway, I look forward to trying Free mode(any stage, any difficulty, cheats with perhaps the ability to unlock more).

Azure Striker Gunvolt: Striker Pack - This isn't widely known about as far as I can tell, but these were 2 digital exclusives. Despite beating the stories entirely, they have a lot more one can still do(like improve their overall stage scores, or get enough materials to craft better equipment).

River City: Tokyo Rumble - My favorite of the batch, so far. It's a great sequel to River City Ransom, and it's a beat 'em up on a cartridge(or whatever you'd describe these modern handheld games as) in 2016. Plus the non-story mode mini games(a Smash-like arena fighter, and an every man for himself dodgeball mode) are just about as fun.

7th Dragon III Code: VFD - I haven't gotten around to this yet, but I intend to fix that very soon(as in, it's definitely the game that's going to be in there the next time I turn the 3DS on). Only RPG I'm ever going to want on the handheld. Development was headed by Rieko Kodama, who was the lead developer for a lot of Sega's best RPG's, with music done by Yuzo Koshiro, so I've got some good expectations here(playing the demo a couple months or so back didn't hurt either ).

I still might be interested in the Vita, Dragon's Crown is still an interest, ports of Mortal Kombat 9 and Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3, Gamefaqs has a game called Phantom Breaker: Battle Grounds listed as a 2D beat 'em up, Odin Sphere Leifthrasir seems interesting, Bloodstained(unofficial Castlevania, in the same area as Mighty No. 9) might get a port... Hell, on the odd chance it isn't too much like Hyrule Warriors, I might even still be interested in Berserk.

As long as they don't go disc, I'm all in on handhelds for gaming in the future.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Dear Lord I got hella forgetful............ anyways, so, the Vita is a good buy. Lots of easy and affordable access to PS1 games that are expensive as balls these days.

BTW, I had a come to Jesus moment the other day when I got to play a Famicom Disk system thru RGB on a Sony PVM monitor.............. dude, it was the best picture I've ever seen in an NES. EVER. So now my life is all about that RGB Jazz!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Legit FDS, or emulation?

My concern would be if there's enough blur with the connection. If it's too sharp you go from Mario having an oval nose to a staircase coming out of the front of his hat. It gets worse with the Genesis, which relied on dithering in a number of games(though the same effect is right there in Super Mario World, on the sides of the hills, and I think the clouds). Too sharp just isn't right for classic consoles because the sprite artists took the blurring of CRT's into account.

I beat 7th Dragon twice now. First time around I even beat the post game dungeon. I tried playing it the 2nd time around as one class, and it went fine for the core game, but one twin boss in the post game dungeon was too much. Though now I kinda wonder if another(one of the last 2 you get) class wouldn't pull you through. The thunder spells are the best, for the chance to stun enemies, which keeps bosses from pulling off their worst moves.

Last edited by midnightryder259; December 24th, 2016 at 09:59 PM.