Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Granaboard 2013 virtual gathering

It was on a modded FDS. You can add pcb's to allow parallel RGB output since the NES doesn't do it by itself, which is another reason the Master System dumps on the console. But man, oh man, the pixels were RAZOR sharp and there was 0 noticeable interference or jail bars or motion blur and the contrast was 100% on point, the whites were ultra clear and bright, the blacks super dark and free of gray. OMG, it was soooo good. I'm of a minority mindset that I want my old games to still be sharp as fuck. I can't stand the new thing some emu's do with the options to "smooth" the graphics which to me makes them look blurry as all get out and also tends to make words or numbers look weird because they'll be all blurry too. It was just a true joy to play on the set up. The real disappointment is how difficult it will be for me to get a set up like that running in my house.

Oh, btw, Merry Christmas old timer! Who'd've thought nearly twenty years ago we would be the last two survivors of G2 Gamefaqs? Hey, wanna have a G2 vs SoA argument for old time's sake?

Senior Hostboard Member midnightryder259's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Considering my main issue with RPG's is summed up as "Fuck random battles!" you can guess which side of that argument I'd be on.

I agree with the high definition/high quality filters being too much, but super sharp to me is too much too. For most emulators a good linear/bilinear filter is just about good enough, even for 3D consoles/handhelds(which I'm not likely to emulate) believe it or not. The Super Eagle/hq#x stuff on the other hand tends to make graphics look like plastic melted together or something. I like Fusion(pretty much all 2D Sega cartridges)'s TV modes, CVBS in particular leaves the text easier to read than RF.

Got a Vita, but instead of games I got a couple of gift cards, one for digital, the other for Amazon. Digitally, and all I have so far, it's like a portable Dreamcast for now, with Jet Set Radio and The Power Stone Collection. Still got some money to spend digitally, so I'm thinking I'll wait for January 6th when they release that new Duke 3D port, and see if that's reasonable. Despite what I said about random battles, I'm considering the Suikoden games(they always made that much more pleasant than your average non-Phantasy Star IV random battle game).

Physically, a few should be here tomorrow:
    *Dragon's Crown - My main reason for wanting a Vita, a 2D beat 'em up, with RPG elements(unfortunately, but still, a 2D beat 'em up).
    *Mortal Kombat - I believe this would otherwise be considered 9? Amazing that Nintendo can still pretty much be considered the kiddy platform when it comes to this kind of thing. ...and ironically after saying that...
    *Super Monkey Ball: Banana Splitz - I never played one of these until I tried the demo on the day I ordered it(had just enough left on the Amazon gift card for it, so I figured "what the hell?"). Seems like it's considered one of the worst(still above average scores), but the demo was pretty fun, so why not?

I got 1 more coming, but it ships much later:
    Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 - Seems pretty ironic, in that I know it's an older game, but has characters in it that have had their own movies since(Deadpool & Doctor Strange). Went for this one used, as it was going for $60 new. Perhaps because of the boost of popularity of characters that recently had the movies I just mentioned? Wonder if I'm going to give a damn for the Capcom side

Next Day:
    So I got the 3 of them, and I still like it so far anyway, but Dragon's Crown is basically a side view Diablo game. The others are what you'd expect.

2 Days later:
    With no reason to turn this thing on in the next couple of days, I'll just say it now:
    Happy New Year!

2 more days later:
    Actually got UMvC3 on New Years Eve. I'd recommend it for Deadpools walking animations alone. Also, Dr. Strange seems to make a damn good transition to the fighting genre. Still waiting for the day when Capcom utilizes the blue X-Men(Archangel, Beast, and Nightcrawler) in a fighter.

3 weeks later:
    I misunderstood the Duke3D situation, it was a port in '05 that was no longer there. I instead got Axiom Verge, which is basically a Metroid clone, Mana Khemia, the PSP version of a PS2 RPG that I really liked[The PSP version anyway, which has no random battles, or even exp.], and Valkyria Chronicles II, which is a very long[well, to me, it took me ~90 hours to get through the main game] SRPG, where movement is basically real-time. I don't want to do much more digital purchasing in the future...

Another 3 weeks:
    Well, you really have to research what's digital only and what has a retail release on this handheld. I'm probably not going to bother with Berserk since none of the Dynasty Warriors types have had retail releases, and that one's no exception. Plenty of older stuff that looks good though.
    Last edited by midnightryder259; February 22nd, 2017 at 03:28 PM.
    "And I've got one more silver dollar, but I'm no gonna let 'em catch me, no, not gonna let 'em catch the Midnight Rider." - The Allman Brothers Band, Midnight Rider

Senior Hostboard Member That_Bojack's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by midnightryder259 View Post
    Considering my main issue with RPG's is summed up as "Fuck random battles!" you can guess which side of that argument I'd be on.

I agree with the high definition/high quality filters being too much, but super sharp to me is too much too. For most emulators a good linear/bilinear filter is just about good enough, even for 3D consoles/handhelds(which I'm not likely to emulate) believe it or not. The Super Eagle/hq#x stuff on the other hand tends to make graphics look like plastic melted together or something. I like Fusion(pretty much all 2D Sega cartridges)'s TV modes, CVBS in particular leaves the text easier to read than RF.

Got a Vita, but instead of games I got a couple of gift cards, one for digital, the other for Amazon. Digitally, and all I have so far, it's like a portable Dreamcast for now, with Jet Set Radio and The Power Stone Collection. Still got some money to spend digitally, so I'm thinking I'll wait for January 6th when they release that new Duke 3D port, and see if that's reasonable. Despite what I said about random battles, I'm considering the Suikoden games(they always made that much more pleasant than your average non-Phantasy Star IV random battle game).

Physically, a few should be here tomorrow:
    *Dragon's Crown - My main reason for wanting a Vita, a 2D beat 'em up, with RPG elements(unfortunately, but still, a 2D beat 'em up).
    *Mortal Kombat - I believe this would otherwise be considered 9? Amazing that Nintendo can still pretty much be considered the kiddy platform when it comes to this kind of thing. ...and ironically after saying that...
    *Super Monkey Ball: Banana Splitz - I never played one of these until I tried the demo on the day I ordered it(had just enough left on the Amazon gift card for it, so I figured "what the hell?"). Seems like it's considered one of the worst(still above average scores), but the demo was pretty fun, so why not?

I got 1 more coming, but it ships much later:
    Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 - Seems pretty ironic, in that I know it's an older game, but has characters in it that have had their own movies since(Deadpool & Doctor Strange). Went for this one used, as it was going for $60 new. Perhaps because of the boost of popularity of characters that recently had the movies I just mentioned? Wonder if I'm going to give a damn for the Capcom side

Next Day:
    So I got the 3 of them, and I still like it so far anyway, but Dragon's Crown is basically a side view Diablo game. The others are what you'd expect.

2 Days later:
    With no reason to turn this thing on in the next couple of days, I'll just say it now:
    Happy New Year!

2 more days later:
    Actually got UMvC3 on New Years Eve. I'd recommend it for Deadpools walking animations alone. Also, Dr. Strange seems to make a damn good transition to the fighting genre. Still waiting for the day when Capcom utilizes the blue X-Men(Archangel, Beast, and Nightcrawler) in a fighter.

3 weeks later:
    I misunderstood the Duke3D situation, it was a port in '05 that was no longer there. I instead got Axiom Verge, which is basically a Metroid clone, Mana Khemia, the PSP version of a PS2 RPG that I really liked[The PSP version anyway, which has no random battles, or even exp.], and Valkyria Chronicles II, which is a very long[well, to me, it took me ~90 hours to get through the main game] SRPG, where movement is basically real-time. I don't want to do much more digital purchasing in the future...

Another 3 weeks:
    Well, you really have to research what's digital only and what has a retail release on this handheld. I'm probably not going to bother with Berserk since none of the Dynasty Warriors types have had retail releases, and that one's no exception. Plenty of older stuff that looks good though.
    So I kinda got busy during work's busy season and fell behind in checking here............. lemme know you're still here man!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Well, the last edit was a week ago. I forgot about here for a couple of days since then.

Oh, and I picked up Shantae(funny enough, as I didn't care for the original on the Game Boy Color) and one called Aegis of Earth, which is this RTS/Tower Defense hybrid, with a narrative involving anime characters. It's alright, I don't regret having it, but I find I can't play it in long doses.

Missing emulating some Genesis, and holding that 6 button pad. I hate shoulder buttons. Never feels natural to me. Mainly I just miss the challenge of oldschool gaming. Plus maybe after this Aegis game, I'd be able to get into either Herzog Zwei or Dune. Though firstly, I'd have to beat some asses in Streets of Rage 2.
    "And I've got one more silver dollar, but I'm no gonna let 'em catch me, no, not gonna let 'em catch the Midnight Rider." - The Allman Brothers Band, Midnight Rider

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Well, the last edit was a week ago. I forgot about here for a couple of days since then.

Oh, and I picked up Shantae(funny enough, as I didn't care for the original on the Game Boy Color) and one called Aegis of Earth, which is this RTS/Tower Defense hybrid, with a narrative involving anime characters. It's alright, I don't regret having it, but I find I can't play it in long doses.

Missing emulating some Genesis, and holding that 6 button pad. I hate shoulder buttons. Never feels natural to me. Mainly I just miss the challenge of oldschool gaming. Plus maybe after this Aegis game, I'd be able to get into either Herzog Zwei or Dune. Though firstly, I'd have to beat some asses in Streets of Rage 2.
    Wait, so it's NOT the GBC Shantae? So which one is it?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

1/2 Genie Hero. It's on the Wii U, PS4, and the version I got was Vita. Supposedly has some free DLC coming, I assume it allows you to play as one of the antagonists, from the shape of the silhouette.

The strategy game on the other hand, got annoying fairly quickly... Like it throws enemies at you beyond a rate you can cope with. First time around I had to use an item, which I'd been avoiding as you don't get them terribly often, but it was the difference maker in a fight I couldn't seem to win otherwise. 2nd time, I still haven't gotten past this fight. Probably need to start with that same item, but it's just such a pain in the ass...

I starting watching some old cartoon intro's and damn, I somehow didn't realize how many cartoons from my youth were from the '70's. Hanna Barbera were on one hell of a roll(or at least cranked out quite a bit) that decade.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

1/2 Genie Hero. It's on the Wii U, PS4, and the version I got was Vita. Supposedly has some free DLC coming, I assume it allows you to play as one of the antagonists, from the shape of the silhouette.

The strategy game on the other hand, got annoying fairly quickly... Like it throws enemies at you beyond a rate you can cope with. First time around I had to use an item, which I'd been avoiding as you don't get them terribly often, but it was the difference maker in a fight I couldn't seem to win otherwise. 2nd time, I still haven't gotten past this fight. Probably need to start with that same item, but it's just such a pain in the ass...

I starting watching some old cartoon intro's and damn, I somehow didn't realize how many cartoons from my youth were from the '70's. Hanna Barbera were on one hell of a roll(or at least cranked out quite a bit) that decade.
    I'll likely get 1/2 Genie on Wii U since I've been on a Wii kick lately. Didn't know you'd upgraded to a Vita. I do have a PS TV myself so it's interesting to see how much of the PS1 library is available for dirt cheap download.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by That_Bojack View Post
    I'll likely get 1/2 Genie on Wii U since I've been on a Wii kick lately. Didn't know you'd upgraded to a Vita. I do have a PS TV myself so it's interesting to see how much of the PS1 library is available for dirt cheap download.
    From what I recall, the Suikoden games were about $5 or $6 each. Considering what the maniacs that make up the retro collectors market want for the retail version of 2, that's a hell of a deal. Problem with TV is there are some games that require the Vita's hardware gimmicks. Monkey Ball is all touch screen until you actually get into the game, Mortal Kombat has an exclusive challenge tower that uses it's gimmicks, and that's really about it for the games that I have, but I'm sure some are all gimmicky controls. Probably that Tearaway game, for one.

Edit:
    Well, the Shantae DLC is available, but it's kind of weird, as the other modes look like they have a silhouette of a different character, but it ends up being Shantae. Anyway, the new mode is Hardcore, which is probably really needed as the game is pretty damn easy, but then again, it is something of an adventure, so I don't know. (On the other hand, if you talk to the right NPC after finding the all of the right objects, you get an item, which can be switched off, that gives you infinite magic, and 2 spells are healing and invincibility...)

Edit 2:
    Back to the sharp vs. blurry graphics thing:
    How To Get The Sharpest Images Possible Out Of Your Old Consoles
    Just stare at the first .gif there for a while.

Personally, I like what I see on the left side more. Eyes, ears, chin, clothes, all look like you would want to draw these things on a 2D character. Colors are blending, instead of whatever that mess is on the cliff edge outlines. Hell, ignore Link and look at he actual backgrounds. Sure it could be a little clearer, especially that odd exchange in colors that happens in that image when the sword charges, but I still prefer the way things smooth over, for the most part, in comparison to all that jaggedness.
    Last edited by midnightryder259; March 31st, 2017 at 05:12 PM.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

So my busy season is over and I can check by here more often. So, I just found out that some PSN games have different achievement than the Xbox, so now I'm playing Meatboy on the PS.tv to get all the one life per world troph's, It's gonna be great.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hmmm... I don't know. Achievements and Trophies are effectively the participation award of video games.

*does what comes natural* *Achievement/Trophy Unlocked: Able to tell ass from hole in ground*

I've got no use for 'em.