Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Granaboard 2013 virtual gathering

Quote Originally Posted by midnightryder259 View Post
    Hmmm... I don't know. Achievements and Trophies are effectively the participation award of video games.

*does what comes natural* *Achievement/Trophy Unlocked: Able to tell ass from hole in ground*

I've got no use for 'em.
    Most yes, some are stuuupidly tough or rare to get, those are the ones I'm interested in. Certainly not the ones that are "made a character" here's 25g kind of achievements for sure!

Senior Hostboard Member midnightryder259's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I hope Sega doesn't pull that. Next 3D Sonic has a create-a-character.
    "And I've got one more silver dollar, but I'm no gonna let 'em catch me, no, not gonna let 'em catch the Midnight Rider." - The Allman Brothers Band, Midnight Rider

Senior Hostboard Member That_Bojack's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I hope Sega doesn't pull that. Next 3D Sonic has a create-a-character.
    What's the next 3d sonic even being called? I know they have Sonic Mania coming up soon but not much about the next 3d one. Also, have you ever played Spelunky? I seem to recall you saying you had a Vita now? In which case you can grab Spelunky if you want, which you should because the game is a-fuckin'-mazing.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

1) Sonic Forces

2) Sounds familiar. Is that the randomized side view dungeon game, in a cave? If so, it was free for PC's some years back, I think before "indie" was even used as a word in the industry. Also I think it was loosely based off a NES(/Atari 8-bit/Commodore 64/MSX/arcade) game called Spelunker.

Edit:
    Hmm... Well, it isn't perfect, but emulation does a decent job with the Dreamcast version of Grandia 2. Actually, the one thing I encountered was this purple mist in the scene when Ryudo realizes somethings wrong at the tower(and someone screams, which I actually never hear in the other emulator) that I don't recall being in the original game.

Edit 2:
    Roughly 4 hours in, yeah, far from perfect. Sound issues. Not too frequent, but still. At least it could be played(I think) from start to finish.

Edit 3:
    ...no, there actually are too many sound issues. Still playable from start to finish though. Probably better emulated through PS2 so far.
    Last edited by midnightryder259; August 3rd, 2017 at 06:41 PM.
    "And I've got one more silver dollar, but I'm no gonna let 'em catch me, no, not gonna let 'em catch the Midnight Rider." - The Allman Brothers Band, Midnight Rider

Senior Hostboard Member That_Bojack's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

1) Sonic Forces

2) Sounds familiar. Is that the randomized side view dungeon game, in a cave? If so, it was free for PC's some years back, I think before "indie" was even used as a word in the industry. Also I think it was loosely based off a NES(/Atari 8-bit/Commodore 64/MSX/arcade) game called Spelunker.

Edit:
    Hmm... Well, it isn't perfect, but emulation does a decent job with the Dreamcast version of Grandia 2. Actually, the one thing I encountered was this purple mist in the scene when Ryudo realizes somethings wrong at the tower(and someone screams, which I actually never hear in the other emulator) that I don't recall being in the original game.

Edit 2:
    Roughly 4 hours in, yeah, far from perfect. Sound issues. Not too frequent, but still. At least it could be played(I think) from start to finish.

Edit 3:
    ...no, there actually are too many sound issues. Still playable from start to finish though. Probably better emulated through PS2 so far.
    Ok, so, after a brief hiatus due to total forgetfulness, I'm back for now to post again. Hey, dude, Sonic Mania.............. it's insane. We as a people, don't deserve a Sonic game this good. You have to try it out. They put so much thought and attention to detail. You have to, HAVE to, find a way to run the game. It's too damn good. Anyways, I don't think I'll ever get around to using a Dreamcast emulator for many more years until Dreamcasts are longer functioning tho'. Good to hear they're out there of course for when that day finally arrives. BTW, SONIC-FUCKIN-MANIA MAN!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by That_Bojack View Post
    Ok, so, after a brief hiatus due to total forgetfulness, I'm back for now to post again. Hey, dude, Sonic Mania.............. it's insane. We as a people, don't deserve a Sonic game this good. You have to try it out. They put so much thought and attention to detail. You have to, HAVE to, find a way to run the game. It's too damn good. Anyways, I don't think I'll ever get around to using a Dreamcast emulator for many more years until Dreamcasts are longer functioning tho'. Good to hear they're out there of course for when that day finally arrives. BTW, SONIC-FUCKIN-MANIA MAN!
    Heh, I've seen enough reviews to almost know the game myself. Nothing works for me though. I don't want a modern console, and I don't do Steam. I'm going to hold out hope that it winds up in some kind of physical form later(or that an amazing rom hack comes out. You wouldn't believe what hackers have done with the series).

I tried Fire Pro, which is 2D, that emulator just has shit sound, and it's the recommended emulator for the Dreamcast. Hell, the PSP is better emulated at this point. Though the Dreamcast may still be better emulated than the N64...

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by That_Bojack View Post
    Ok, so, after a brief hiatus due to total forgetfulness, I'm back for now to post again.
    Speaking of hiatuses and forgetfulness...

Glad to see you guys are continuing to give this place a reason to exist.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

At this point, I think we're just making conversation for the hell of it .

Also, what are the chances of this seeing the light of day in the West?:

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Also, what are the chances of this seeing the light of day in the West?
    I have no idea what this is, and didn't understand a single word, but it looks awesome AF and I would totally play it.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

It's kind of 2 things in one.

First, is the manga/anime it's based on, Hokuto no Ken(mostly translated as First of the North Star). It's about the wielder an assassination style of martial arts, in a post apocalyptic world, very much based on stuff like The Road Warrior/Mad Max. Despite knowing said style of martial arts, Kenshiro is an all around good guy, who does what he thinks is right. It's considered a Shounen series(aimed at teenagers, usually stuff like Dragon Ball Z, and similar fighting types), but has very adult premises.

Second, is the Sega series, Yakuza. It may be starting to gain some traction in the west, despite nearing it's 6th official game. Since the first one, released on the PS2, it's been compared to Shenmue, and is considered a beat 'em up series, despite seemingly having a grander adventure aspect to it(I never played any of these myself). It's also often compared to Grand Theft Auto, despite being more linear(though later entries have a shitload of side stuff, arcade games, the latest is supposed to have a baseball management sim in it, etc.). Mostly I assume any GTA comparison is because you're playing the game as a member of the Yakuza(Japanese mafia), once again though, as an otherwise decent guy.

So it's a game based off the manga, developed by the studio that makes that gaming series.