Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Granaboard 2013 virtual gathering

Weird, when I came back to the forum today, everything looked locked. Well, tax season is being a real bitch to me at work so I'm stooopidly busy and even forgot to pay my rent on time this month. Anyways, what's every one's emails in case this place shuts for good?

Senior Hostboard Member midnightryder259's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The locks only show when you're not logged in. If you're at the same email, it'll be no big deal. I keep everyone's latest.

When I'm gaming lately, I'm back to emulation. One Vita game I didn't beat, but then, it gave me a credits sequence at one point anyway.
    "And I've got one more silver dollar, but I'm no gonna let 'em catch me, no, not gonna let 'em catch the Midnight Rider." - The Allman Brothers Band, Midnight Rider

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

So, Sonic Mania is getting some DLC this summer, on top of physical releases for all the consoles with said extra content. When's the last time a major series got a strictly sprite based game released on a modern home console? Oh, plus a Genesis collection is on the way for the PS4/XB1, with Alien Soldier(and the arcade shooter Wonder Boy III game, as another non-North American cartridge release) included. On top of the Yakuza series, which I've never had a chance to try, this is seriously making me consider a PS4, unless Sega's deal with Microsoft turns out to be something major.
    "And I've got one more silver dollar, but I'm no gonna let 'em catch me, no, not gonna let 'em catch the Midnight Rider." - The Allman Brothers Band, Midnight Rider

Senior Hostboard Member That_Bojack's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Yo, not dead and still checking in. So yeah, im a bit jazzed about mania + cuz it has ray the squirell which i think is boss as fuck. Im still fence sitting on the sega collection cuz i have sonics ultimate gen collection and it has nearly the whole sega collection already. Maybe if you get it then ill get it too and we can multiplay golden axe or sometbing. Anyways, catch ya laters!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I changed my mind on that since. I'm just not into modern gaming enough to bother. I actually gave the original Yakuza a try, and it was too narrative for me. If you like a narrative, the direction it's story was going in was definitely interesting, but that's not what I'm looking to get out of gaming.

If anything, I'm actually more inclined to find some cords for my old consoles(still have the NES and Genesis, hopefully they just need a good cleaning...).

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Your nes, snes, and gen etc should work well after a good cleaning. There arent a lot of moving parts to fail.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Let's see if my slow-ass internet allows me to reply this time...

Anyway, yeah fewer parts is why I have a Rapsberry Pi as well. This thing shuts down on me randomly, and I have no idea what the issue could be. Both lights on the front(power and battery) go off when it happens.

Speaking of(via emulation on the RP), I'm discovering what makes Golden Axe so good. I think there's often some hidden depth to what otherwise look like shallow games when it comes to '80's/'90's Sega.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Well, after the other consoles, the Dreamcast is a high consideration, so I'd make sure I at least got the best version of II either way .

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Well, I got a CRT, some Everdrives, cords, etc. for my old consoles, and I'm wondering if it was worth it to begin with...

I love the Genesis and the NES was my first and all, but the cost is ridiculous, and everything's still not settled. The gamepads I got for the NES don't fit the controller port as tight as they should(didn't realize they weren't official), so you have to finagle it, in game, as you lose functionality(also lots of moving Up when you intend to go Left). The RF I picked up may be total shit. I mean, I know RF isn't the best looking connection, but I don't recall it being this particularly fuzzy. Luckily any AV works with the NES and I got an AV for the Genesis anyway, but still... Also luckily video cables remain affordable anyway, usually under $10. Then there's the Everdrives. $166 for the Genesis and $120 for the NES, without the SD cards(NES is seemingly the only one that takes a standard SD over a micro, but do some research anyway. Usually you'll get a recommendation for the right type if you browse Amazon). Imagine if I didn't have the consoles already... Further research and doing this same thing with every other consoles runs about $200-300 per console/handheld. Still more worth it than doing the aftermarket thing with individual games though.

I'd say stick with a Raspberry Pi. Learn how to do the Wiimote light gun thing, get a few gamepads(maybe some Playstation fighting pads if you're like me, and need the 6 fave buttons, though they go for $40 a piece. Saturn USB pads tend to be made real cheap with a thin plastic cross on the inside that will break and make the D-pad unusable over time) if you do 3-5 player(use a USB port hub extender for more than 4), use the blur and screen curvature filters, and most of all, save some money. Also, look up the appropriate glue for heat sinks. What they send you attached to heat sinks for starter kits tends to insulate the chips, and before you know it, in some cases you're overheating by 2 hours in. Oddly enough Genesis RPG's you could play all day without seeing any signs of overheating, but just about anything else...