Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Granaboard 2013 virtual gathering

Well, as long as it's beatable in one day.

...Shining Force II on the other hand ...I'm actually liking this! I don't know how the few random battles actually work, but as long as you're not afraid of a long walk, you could effectively just escape battle, and try again to get where you're going, as long as you've actually beaten the battle the first time(or just fight the battle for some extra exp.). As far as I can tell they're all a requirement the first time around.

I've gotten past some of what are supposed to be the hardest battles. The chess battle for example, which I'm literally still on the battle directly after(willingly, because the enemies are still giving enough exp. to gain levels fairly quickly), the chess pieces are durable as hell, and hit hard, but the King eventually came to my group, and I decided "screw trying to even out the leveling," (again, the battle directly afterward is more than making up for it)and just surrounded him until one of my guys finally killed him, winning the battle.

By "even out the leveling" I mean I always try to have my team even all around. Though if the healer can level higher than the rest, I won't complain. I may have misjudged this one. However, I'm not sure how far I'd get without the guide I'd been following(don't judge, there's a shitload to this game. Unlike the straightforward first one, which still has hidden items and characters...).
    "And I've got one more silver dollar, but I'm no gonna let 'em catch me, no, not gonna let 'em catch the Midnight Rider." - The Allman Brothers Band, Midnight Rider

Senior Hostboard Member That_Bojack's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

So basically all the battles are scripted based on where you go and they repeat every time you go between the same place?

Senior Hostboard Member midnightryder259's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Sometimes when you're walking around the world map, you'll encounter a battle, but it's always there that first time. So once you've beaten it, if you encounter it again, the hero can cast a spell called "Egress" which is basically a retreat to the nearest priest(removes curses, poison, and stunned status, promotes characters to a new class when ready, brings dead characters back to life, and saves your game), and try to get through the same area without triggering the battle again. I'm not sure if there's a specific point you need to avoid, like in Chrono Trigger, or something, though.

Right now I'm on a boss, who I'm pretty sure I can take, but the enemies around him are also still giving good exp. If you fall into the even leveling trap, you'll never get anywhere against this boss. On top of hitting hard, he has a spell with massive range, and worse than that, a really dedicated healer. Most enemy healers are self serving when they've taken damage, but this guy will put the boss character first, even if your weakest character could take him out with one more physical strike. Sometimes after you've beaten enough enemies he'll actually start moving toward your units himself, and sometimes he'll just stay in his closed off section of the room.

Finally caught up on The Goldbergs this weekend. I believe the TV Schedule is ABC at 8:30 on Wednesdays, if you have the chance to see the latest episodes. It's pretty good, and very unique in some ways. Normally when you watch a sitcom, the father character tends to be the best. Here I'd say he's 3rd, right behind the mother, with the middle child being the best. I have to imagine a lot is fabricated to make the show work(basically it's the producers memories of the time being turned into a show), but it turns out pretty good.
    Last edited by midnightryder259; April 6th, 2015 at 09:35 PM.
    "And I've got one more silver dollar, but I'm no gonna let 'em catch me, no, not gonna let 'em catch the Midnight Rider." - The Allman Brothers Band, Midnight Rider

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Is the Goldbergs the stereotypical dumb jock dad and brilliant nagging ass wife that has to fix all his fuck ups but stays with him anyways?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Almost the exact opposite. The father likes to loaf around, and not get involved if he can avoid it. The mother sticks her nose into every little thing the kids do. If anyone generally makes a mess of things, it would be the mother. There's no real intelligence advantage between the parents, and even if there were, there's a grandfather character to balance things out as well.

Edit: Beat Shining Force II at 1 this morning. That was something else.
    Last edited by midnightryder259; April 9th, 2015 at 04:07 PM.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Sometimes it's nice to put an old game through all the way. I played through Metroid 1 the other night and it was hella fun to roam the old halls.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I've been playing some action games. A week or so with a game like that, I'm probably rusty. Thinking about going through the first one now, though. Especially since before I started on 2, I've read about how the final store in 1 has a "deal" on a ring that cancels curses, and the cursed equipment is incredibly strong... There's also a couple of Game Gear games, II and III, the latter of which being fan translated, and somehow the first isn't, despite being the first part of the Sega CD game. I mean, the scripts right there in English.

At least it's good to know I can play these simpler kinds of SRPG's, when I can't stomach random battle games anymore.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Phaq, sometimes when I eat beans my backside talks to me.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Well, the other side of me seems to spring a leak every 2-3 hours.

I got through another week or so of playing the original Shining Force. I did some research beforehand, so I had an idea of who my final party was going to be. I think I made some mistakes in that regard though. The suggested knight/paladin was supposed to spike in stats, but I didn't see any of that, and so he really kind of sucked in my game. Lowest defense of all the fighting characters. The ninja wasn't all that great either. Very rarely(again, never happened in my game) his sword will instantly kill an enemy. I replaced my perfectly serviceable healer for one that learns later levels of the best healing spell, and has the detox spell. Well, the latter was never needed by the time you could put him in, and he never gained enough levels(more to the point, by this point in time, I wasn't patient enough to get grind him up) to get those higher level healing spells. Other than that I made some pretty good choices. The whole series, I swear flying bird swordsmen suck, but you need them for a while anyway.

If I touch any more of that series it'll be the Game Gear series.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

So, how do you still have patience for RPG's of any sort? My patience for grinding of ANY sort is a chore, even collecting a few rupees or keys in Zelda 1 is sometimes a hassle.

Anyways, I seem to remember you had an affinity for classic rock/metal. Are you into vinyl at all?