Page 16 of 30 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: Granaboard 2013 virtual gathering

Senior Hostboard Member midnightryder259's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Granaboard 2013 virtual gathering

Never really been into album collecting. Mostly radio listening, and that stopped in in the early 2000's, when the main radio station started playing rap without the metal behind it... (should I expect to hear Pantera on rap stations, because Anthrax made a song with Public Enemy?)

I dunno, grinding is different in a strategy game, as there's a limit. You can't exceed a certain amount. As far as I'm concerned with this series, the moment enemies stop giving the maximum of 48 exp. upon defeat, it's time to move on. You only need 100 exp. to level up. Plus you're working toward promotion(basically improved class change). The closer to level 20 before you promote, the better. Most of the series, with II being the exception, you can promote at level 10(20 in II, and worth it to do so as soon as possible in this case), but your stat gains aren't as good if promote that early.

Suikoden works the same way, there's a limit. 1,000 exp. to level up. When enemies give you less than say, 50 exp.(20 fights to level up), then it's no longer worth fighting at all. At that point, "run" will most likely turn into "let go," which is basically a 100% escape from enemies that aren't worth fighting anymore.

It's a hell of a lot different than Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Phantasy Star, etc., where it's like fight-fight-fight until you're level 7, before you even enter the first dungeon, because you won't survive otherwise, or something.
    "And I've got one more silver dollar, but I'm no gonna let 'em catch me, no, not gonna let 'em catch the Midnight Rider." - The Allman Brothers Band, Midnight Rider

Senior Hostboard Member That_Bojack's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Do you have a problem in Strat RPGs where it takes forever to finish a fight only to find out at the last possible second of the fight that you can't possibly win and you gotta redo like half a damn hour to figure out where everything went wrong?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

That probably depends on the game. If your strategy is good enough, it shouldn't be much of an issue. One issue I had with the last battle of Shining Force II: The Sword of Hajya(the only one that was localized for the Game Gear) is that for whatever reason, the mage enemy had a fire spell with ridiculous reach. Most of my characters barely have more than 20 HP, and depending on who he targets, he could easily wipe some of them out(some take just that little extra damage more, and it's all their HP at full health). Normally in the Genesis games, that would require an enemy to have a level 4 spell(or more realistically, be an actual boss character) to have that kind of reach. I lost 3 characters before I won that battle, with the one character that survived.

It instantly throws you into the next battle, but you can still retreat and have the priest raise the beaten characters, for a price. The worst thing that can happen is that the enemies target the main character until they beat him. I don't think this series does game overs, but you instantly lose the battle, and lose half your money, and it's not easy getting that back. That would be worth resetting the console/handheld, mainly for being able to buy weapons. By comparison, anything you could do at the priests is really cheap.

The next battle I fight has another one of those mages too...

Update: I actually did have a restart-the-battle-a-couple-times moment in the next battle, because of that mage, and really the 2nd time was because I forgot to open a chest with a really useful item in it. However my 3rd time in that battle, and every other time I dealt with that mage, I got through completely unscathed because a beneficial glitch, I guess. It's not a cheat, the ice mage character on your team has a level 3 spell as well, and it turns out, because of the glitch, it hits hard enough to take most enemies out in one shot. So if she got to the right range before that mage was interested in moving, she'd wreck him, and just about any other enemy directly around him, in one shot.

I'm currently in a battle where I'm still leveling up, because I went through promotion after gaining a few levels. I don't have the patience to wait beyond level 18, and its usually suggested that it's done at level 20(some suggest level 15, some say 10 isn't going to hurt either), but what could 2 levels matter? Since I was able to get to level 18 unpromoted, I should probably be able to get to level 7 or 8 promoted in this fight. Promotion basically puts you at level 11(21 in the 2nd Genesis game), while calling it level 1. So that's part of the reason it's suggested you wait longer, as you'll actually gain levels after promoting, instead of being at the same level as the enemies.
    Last edited by midnightryder259; May 13th, 2015 at 04:23 PM.
    "And I've got one more silver dollar, but I'm no gonna let 'em catch me, no, not gonna let 'em catch the Midnight Rider." - The Allman Brothers Band, Midnight Rider

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I sent you an email, where the hell is my reply G? We taking this to email or keeping it here?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I was under the impression that email was just in case something happened to lose contact here.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Well, I figured I'd at least get some kind of reply to make sure everything was working just fine.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Heh, I finished watching the 2002 remake of He-Man. It's funny hearing Ryudo(/Leonardo)'s voice come out of Adam(Cam Clarke is also He-Man, but he gives him a different, deeper voice). It was good, for a more serious take on the series. There was one episode where he let Randor ride BattleCat to find Marlena, who took a weapon to survive on her own, and a commenter(watched it at Youtube) suggested that in the '83 series they were merely damsels in distress. Why would someone remember it like that? I can remember Randor picking up a mace and fighting his way out of Snake Mountain alongside He-Man and Man-At-Arms, giving Adam newfound respect for his father, and another episode where Marlena's skills as a pilot saved everyone's ass. The end of that episode she was like "You think I can't recognize my own son when I see him?" Which makes her not only as courageous as the 2002 version, but smarter/more observant as well. Though, I guess to be fair, 2002 Adam is a teenager that turns into a buff guy with a different voice, despite having the same haircut, whereas 1983 Adam is already buff, loses his shirt, gets a tan, and gets an echo in his voice.

They've both got their better and worse qualities, so I wouldn't say there was a better version. Just apples and oranges.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by midnightryder259 View Post
    Heh, I finished watching the 2002 remake of He-Man. It's funny hearing Ryudo(/Leonardo)'s voice come out of Adam(Cam Clarke is also He-Man, but he gives him a different, deeper voice). It was good, for a more serious take on the series. There was one episode where he let Randor ride BattleCat to find Marlena, who took a weapon to survive on her own, and a commenter(watched it at Youtube) suggested that in the '83 series they were merely damsels in distress. Why would someone remember it like that? I can remember Randor picking up a mace and fighting his way out of Snake Mountain alongside He-Man and Man-At-Arms, giving Adam newfound respect for his father, and another episode where Marlena's skills as a pilot saved everyone's ass. The end of that episode she was like "You think I can't recognize my own son when I see him?" Which makes her not only as courageous as the 2002 version, but smarter/more observant as well. Though, I guess to be fair, 2002 Adam is a teenager that turns into a buff guy with a different voice, despite having the same haircut, whereas 1983 Adam is already buff, loses his shirt, gets a tan, and gets an echo in his voice.

They've both got their better and worse qualities, so I wouldn't say there was a better version. Just apples and oranges.
    In the original He Man, Adam and He Man looked the same due to Filmation being a buncha cheap skates. They wanted a big transformation but it would have prevented them from recycling so much animation so we got hella buff Adam AND hella buff He Man. But whatev's, unrealistic disguises working was just find for Superman.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I don't know if that's still the case anymore, with DC having flushed 80 years of history down the toilet. Marvel almost seems set to do the same thing, which is starting to kill my interest there.

Edit: One of the things I found odd about the '02 He-Man was the shading. The shading they used seemed to go monochrome. :End edit.

I used save states, but I got to the end of Gain Ground yesterday. I wasn't specifically trying to beat the game, so much as I was taking notes, since there's a lot to it.

To describe it, it's sort of a single screen run 'n gun. You can rescue hostages, by taking them to the exit, who then become playable characters. You beat a stage by either taking everyone to the exit(which obviously becomes much harder the more characters you have), or by killing every enemy on screen(and the ones that aren't there at the beginning, but there's an enemy counter, so you always know). There's 50 stages, with 5 bosses. In the original arcade game, by Sega, it was 40. This was ported to the Genesis by Sanritsu, and ironically enough, the North American version was published by Renovation, while the other regions were published by Sega themselves.

Some describe it as strategy. I'm not entirely sure I see why, I mean you do need the right character for the right situation, but a lot of the time I just take the first archer and clear the screen, since his special attack fires an arrow high into the air, which allows him to hit enemies standing on higher ground. Usually from a fairly safe distance too. Toward the end there's a character that looks like a samurai, who's really useful because his special sends out an erratic tornado, but it can travel through walls. When you have enemies that move and shoot fast, and you're in a stage full of walls, it's really not to your advantage. With those last 10 original stages, it seemed to be down to the samurai, and mostly the 2 rocket guys.

I have no idea how you're supposed to beat the final boss without having over 20 characters, to be able to sacrifice most. It fires heat seekers, your guys can only take 1 hit, and there are no exits during the last 3 boss battles(if you guys take a hit, they're in the same situation as a hostage, and can be saved, in 47 of the games stages). Also, there are walls your characters have to destroy. I got lucky in 2 instances. The archer I favored somehow got in a good number of hits, no idea why the heat seekers missed him for so long, and I pulled out this guy with a powerful long range fireball that had just enough power to end it as the fireball hit. The guy still died anyway, but he took the boss with him. The other aspect, I didn't notice if it still was the case in that battle, but probably was, is that you're timed. If time ever runs out, you lose, which means you lose everybody. I think there are 5 continues, but to be in the late stages with only the 3 characters you start the game with would be pretty rough.
    Last edited by midnightryder259; June 1st, 2015 at 08:13 PM.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Do you get your characters back after each battle or are they gone forever?