Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

As we say in Brooklyn, where I grew up: Fageddabowdit!

June 6, 2008 is the release date for 4th edition. of course, they can't count, because you had Chainmail, then the 4 little books Gary and Dave put together, the Basic Game, AD&D, then they started adding other books and classes (remmebr the survival guide, the cavalier, the acrobat and the introduction of skill points?), then 2nd edition, then #3 and 3 and a half!

Okay, I have seen so much D&D, I just couldn't dream of learning it AGAIN! Not unless I designed a version myself...which I sort of did and we are all playing...but not quite.

So lay your weary heads to rest...I will not make you spend close to 40 bucks for a Player's Handbook! (My 1st edition was $9.95 for sure, I think 2nd was 19.95 or $24,95, 3rd was $31.95 and 3.5 was $29.95...maybe they felt guilty [img]graemlins/sure.gif[/img] )

We finally know the rules, and I am still getting confused between 3 and 3.5 (How is that weapon size thing working for everyone? [img]eek.gif[/img] ) so no...no more changes.

But just in case you just HAVE TO HAVE IT! You can buy a book for $13.95 called Races & Classes or some such which gives you ABSOLUTELY NOTHING in terms of game mechanics...just a bunch of hints, teases and clues.

And I might be tempted if I didn't think the game would change for the third time since we started our adventure together, you know, if they said "This is the LAST edition ever!". But let's face it...we will be playing Epic by then and none of the books will make much sense anymore anyway! [img]graemlins/cry_smile.gif[/img]

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ December 29, 2007 05:11 PM: Message edited by: Starshadow ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

From what little I know of 4th, it was due to this upcoming release that led to Code Monkey Publishing losing rights to support ETools. The 4th edition setup has support for a built in online tabletop which can be used to build characters and run games, for an additional fee. In this subscription service, all new materials (feats, skills, races, classes, etc.) will be available for use when they're published.

Also some of the core races have been retooled. Apparently the half orc and gnome have been removed.

Overall, no, I agree. For what we have set up, an upgrade to 4th would require more work, and basically recreating most, if not all, of the characters.

(By the way, DM Genie for 3.5 automatically makes the size adjustments for weapons, and other size modifiers such as cost to make armor and weapons. All you do is select the size category and the damage mods adjust: i.e. a medium sized shortsword will deal 1d6+1 damage, whereas a small shortsword deals 1d4+1, same as a medium dagger.)