Thread: Editorial: Devs or Distributors? Solutions?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I could not agree any more Z, the quality over quantity trait was lost a long time ago back in the 8-16 bit era. Im also going to have to say that the blame falls squarely on both the developers and the distributors although I feel that its the distributors mighty hand of vengence that ultimately causes a game to be rushed. The developers need to finally stand up and say "Hey, the shits not done yet." otherwise we will surely see the decline of this business. I myself have been playing for about 20 years all the way back to the Commodore 64 and this is not uncommon, there are millions of people just like me that have a love for the game and have stuck with it over the course of its evolutions. However if the market continues to keep pumping out the same stuff over and over I dont know if those numbers can stay steady. I mean really, how much money are we as the individuals going to shell out for the same rehashed crap as last year or the year before, sure kids are going to see it on TV and it will be hip and edgy and you wont be popular if you dont have one, but for guys like me are games even worth playing anymore? And for the record, new graphics isnt innovation, new controllers arent innovation, the same cliche story weve heard a thousand times from a thousand developers is NOT innovation. We want a new way to play the games, surgically implant the story into my head so that I have a weird sense of deja vu as I play the game, beam the shit directly into my skull, something, anything.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Ok, well, if you read the editorial here's the place to post your thoughts on it, whether you liked it or dislikes, agreed or disagreed, and any thoughts you have on the subject. A good republic is based on tolerance and inclusiveness, therefore these boards shall be both of the above! All opinions will be allowed here, but no flaming, if you care to talk the talk of scholars please post your sources, it makes for good conversation and I desperately want some more info on this so that better solutions can be had. Now, let us discuss!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Beam it into your head? Neat idea, but I fear big government would get too many ideas out of this as well... I mean, crazy man. But innovative [img]wink.gif[/img]
    Somewhere out there, has to be a dev or company that is going to change the way we play games, but the industry is so young that I guess there is a fear to try something that is not a tried-and-true formula for money... I wonder if we'll ever get anywhere with the big companies moving in, such as Sony.
    I don't mind big companies, but when they can pull big stunts such as the new combat update they did with Star Wars Galaxies (from the sheer amount of complaining I've heard from players, I had always heard it was buggy, so I never played it therefore my opinion may well be misinformed though I don't believe it to be too off) and, even though I do play their Planetside, I believe that such a low sub game (last i heard was like 28,000 accounts active, meaning about 3k players peak time, though I happen to think this is much less), there is only a very small dev crew [img]frown.gif[/img] such a great game to go to waste like they are.
    Anyways, enough ranting on my part. Big companies, btw, can also be a good thing, with the sheer amount of money they put in to development, even though in some cases they seem to ignore their playerbase and do things that cause many players to leave. Even the smaller companies such as Mythic can make mistakes (TOA is when I quit daoc, that along with the population issues).
    I think in the end if you look at both sides there's a middle ground that would probably work best. Big companies and little ones, the little being innovative, the large buying up innovation and tossing money at it!