Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Red face

Just got this from longtime friend and former Altec Lansing District Manager R. David Read, who got it from the horses..... mouth.

This is official announcement from Sparkomatic, er, Altec Lansing Technologies, er Plantronics, via one of their talking heads:

"I regret to inform you that Altec Lansing Technologies has decided to exit the Professional Audio business. Although the Professional Division has been an important market segment, Altec Lansing and the parent owner, Plantronics, have decided to focus on the company's much more rapidly growing consumer businesses.

* The limited manufacturer's warranty will be honored. Altec Lansing is making every effort to retain sufficient stock to cover the five year limited warranty on Altec Lansing Professional products.

* Should you have any near-term projects with Altec Lansing products, the remaining inventory is offered on a first-come, first-served basis.

* Once Altec have identified inventory that is in excess of their warranty requirements, a list will be generated for distribution with closeout pricing.

* Beyond that, Altec will work with you to cross-reference their product to a another comparable source.

To contact Altec direct dial 1-866-570-5702 and ask for Stan Shields or John Sexton. To reach John by cell, dial 973-997-3771."

Well, Sid Harmon (who recently sold JBL to Bosch), and Bob Pabst should be happy - they got what they wanted...

<font color="#FFFFFF"><font size="1">[ September 12, 2007 07:46 PM: Message edited by: Todd W. White ]</font></font>

<font color="#FFFFFF" size="1">[ September 12, 2007 07:47 PM: Message edited by: Todd W. White ]</font>

Senior Hostboard Member Ronald Lee's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Doesn't surprise me. Sparkomatic doesn't know anything about pro-sound since they are primarily a consumer company, and it would have been a steep learning curve for them as they had lost most or all of their expertise in pro-sound when they closed down the old Altec. Better save their money and invest it elsewhere.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

It's a drag about the consumer business. I mean, if it wasn't a success they could just sell the name and rights to someone else who would make more/better use of it, say Bill Hanushack for example. But because of the reputation of the old Altec stuff, people are buying dinky computer speakers with the name on them and by doing that are relegating the true legacy to the history books.

Dave

Senior Hostboard Member
    Altec Lansing: 1853-2007, RIP

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    56 Post(s)

I'm surprised they lasted this long.

Frankly, I'm glad the Chinese stuff is no longer stinking up the Altec name. Sadly, Bill will lose some business, but hopefully we can get word around about bill's products.

I gotta be honest, I can not bring myself to cry for Altec Pro. IMHO they were just fakers.

Senior Hostboard Member

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    56 Post(s)

Originally posted by Todd W. White:
    Well, Sid Harmon (who recently sold JBL to Bosch), and Bob Pabst should be happy - they got what they wanted...

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">???

Bosch bought Telex...AFAIK Harmon still owns JBL?

Senior Hostboard Member LICORNE's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

It all depends on what they mean by consumer division. The A-7 is in their consumer division.
    They might introduce a model 18 in the consumer division.

I think they just have had enough of the ceiling
    stuff and I don't blame them. It's not very prestigious anyway.

So will have to wait and see.

Senior Hostboard Member

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    56 Post(s)

Originally posted by CONVERGENCE:
    It all depends on what they mean by consumer division. The A-7 is in their consumer division.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Convergence- what are you smoking?

the A-7 was discontinued LONG ago. I doubt they made ten pairs. if even that.

Senior Hostboard Member

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    56 Post(s)

[quote]Originally posted by CONVERGENCE:
    A-7 WAS IN THE CONSUMER DIVISION UNDER LEGACY ;CLEAR OK.

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Jeez, no need to shout.

The operative word is Legacy. That means discontinued. You are just plain wrong. Altec ain't gonna bring out nothin' but more Chinese toys.

if you REALLY feel this strongly about it, I'd place a friendly bet that Altec does not bring out anything like you said. But I would feel bad about taking your money.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Some of us who actually remembered Sparkomatic from the 70's laughed and cried at the same time when Altec sold it's name to them. It really was the ONLY way Sparkomatic could actually try to sell high end audio. No way could they sell it under their own name. But their high-end stuff wasn't that good....

What I would like to see is someone who's actually interested in Pro-Audio (actually audio in general) to buy the Altec name. But someone with money who can actually do something with it. We do have Great Plains and Iconic who are keeping "Some" of the Altec legacy alive, but they really are very small players in the market. If either of them bought the name I'm afraid it would take YEARS before the name Altec became a serious player again in pro-audio.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Bosch owns JBL now???

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast