Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Altec crossover question.

Are the n1500 and n1600 altec crossovers electronic or passive crossovers? They seem quite different from the GPA n1600 ones I bought both in size and weight. I think the GPA's are passive and I was just wondering if that is why they seem so different?

Senior Hostboard Member cradeldorf's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Altec crossover question.

I just visited Jeff Markwartz's corner, I should have done that first. :/ Now I wonder which would be better, try to run my 604 C with a n1500 crossover or run my 604 E with a N-1600 crossover Or run them with the crossovers that belong to them and live with speakers that crossover at different points?

Senior Hostboard Member magnarc's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Really academic. Try them and see which you like the sound of. The C may need its original if it has the earlier cone. If it has the E type cone, then they are essentially identical. Also check the hf dias, are they the same?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Ok I've almost got it..... This is the list of things that make up the N1500 crossover according to Mark,
    Some values are a bit hard to read so I've also listed them here:
    R1 15 Ohm 10W
    R2 25 Ohm
    C1 14uf
    C2 3uf
    L1 1.5 mH

so...R1 is Resistor 1 and it's a 15 Ohm 10 watt?
    R2 in the Schematic has a wire connected in the middle? is that indicating that it's the "L" Pad attenuator thingy?
    C1 is a 14 uf Capacitor right?
    C2 is a 3uf Capacitor?
    and what about the L1 thing? since it's in mH does that mean it's a coil of wire? what does the "L" stand for? and it says something about 17 to 23 or 17623 Under it in the schematic? does anybody know what that means?
    Sorry if I'm seeming rather retarded but this is my first foray into electronics. But I'm trying.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by magnarc View Post
    Really academic. Try them and see which you like the sound of. The C may need its original if it has the earlier cone. If it has the E type cone, then they are essentially identical. Also check the hf dias, are they the same?
    It has the original cone, you lost me with High Frequency Dias....Diameters?

Senior Hostboard Member amandarae's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cradeldorf View Post
    Ok I've almost got it..... This is the list of things that make up the N1500 crossover according to Mark,
    Some values are a bit hard to read so I've also listed them here:
    R1 15 Ohm 10W
    R2 25 Ohm
    C1 14uf
    C2 3uf
    L1 1.5 mH

so...R1 is Resistor 1 and it's a 15 Ohm 10 watt?
    R2 in the Schematic has a wire connected in the middle? is that indicating that it's the "L" Pad attenuator thingy?
    C1 is a 14 uf Capacitor right?
    C2 is a 3uf Capacitor?
    and what about the L1 thing? since it's in mH does that mean it's a coil of wire? what does the "L" stand for? and it says something about 17 to 23 or 17623 Under it in the schematic? does anybody know what that means?
    Sorry if I'm seeming rather retarded but this is my first foray into electronics. But I'm trying.

Hello,

1.) Yes, 15 ohms at 10 Watts power rating.
    2.) R2 is a 25 ohm potentiometer, most likely 10W or higher. Note that the wiper(middle) connects to plus (+) coming from amp out.
    3.) Yes
    4.) Yes
    5.)L1 is an inductor, 1.5 mH and per schematic, a steel core (because of the two perpendicular lines). Of course, air core can also be use but they are more expensive.

All capacitors are polypropelene, oil, teflon, or film as long as they are non polar per schematic. Polyprop is most likely because of the values as oil, film, or teflon with at 14 uF and 3 uF are huge and very expensive.

regards,

Abe
    QNME In Retro!

Senior Hostboard Member magnarc's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The XO will be optimised for the HF diaphragm and LF cone originally installed. Some Cs have an early cone, some the later E style with pleated surround. I think the part number for the HF diaphragm is the same in the C and E, so strictly speaking, you could interchange the XOs if each driver has the similar LF cone in it.
    Or you could get a pair of the GPA XOs. Or wait till a mate for yours turns up on eBay, which happens.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks Abe.
    I do have the GPA crossovers too Magnarc that's what I'm running now, N1600-16 I was just wondering about going back to the originals.