Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Expensive but...

Quote Originally Posted by bowtie427ss View Post
    Important to note what speaker load was originally in the console. Most console OPT's only have 1 secondary winding. Some Magnavox's had 4 ohm secondaries. I'm not aware of any that had OPT's approaching the full 20-20k hifi bandwidth.
    Yes, there is the impedance issue...... which I typically ignore. Maybe that's not good? I should have check to see what the speakers were that were powered by my little amp. I tossed the speakers they were so corroded, and I didn't really need 12" CTS's any how.

I've got a Fisher pull that actually has multiple taps........ 4, 8, and 16, I think. That's a more expensive amp, Though. It's mono..... wish I had another.
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

HB Super Moderator
    Expensive but...

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Aren't those console amps under powered, and will only power only the most efficient small speakers ? In the consoles the speakers usually found in them aren't they usually 10" or smaller full ranger's ? And if your trying to drive large Altecs,subs,2 pair etc, be an issue with lack of power especially in the low frequencies ? Dunno ? Never had one of those old Magnavox's.

Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Altec Best View Post
    Aren't those console amps under powered, and will only power only the most efficient small speakers ? In the consoles the speakers usually found in them aren't they usually 10" or smaller full ranger's ? And if your trying to drive large Altecs,subs,2 pair etc, be an issue with lack of power especially in the low frequencies ? Dunno ? Never had one of those old Magnavox's.
    I think that depends a LOT on the kind of music you listen to and your listening preferences. Take something like Pano's A5's or similar large format system that are particularly sensitive and a source like vintage big band or jazz, a few good watts can be hugely satisfying, and as far as some folks ever need to go with a system.

There is always that one compromise in hifi that can only be appreciated on an individual basis, that is when a component does "what it does" so well that the caveats or shortcomings become irrelevant to the listener. I've been there, and absolutely respect each individual listener's ability to choose his own compromises.

HB Super Moderator
    Expensive but...

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

I have been finding my tone preferences have changed over the past 25-30 years.When I was younger I liked more treble tones.Now I'm more partial to the lower frequencies.So I need an amp that can drive the big woofers !

Strange Huh ? I never thought that would happen.I guess maybe it has something to do with our hearing as we age our HF hearing rolls off much more than the lower freq. I dunno but this is what has seemed to happen to me WRT my tone preferences.

Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)

Strange Huh ? I never thought that would happen.I guess maybe it has something to do with our hearing as we age our HF hearing rolls off much more than the lower freq. I dunno but this is what has seemed to happen to me WRT my tone preferences.
    Good bass is addictive, Altecs can bump you with a good fix.

Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Altec Best View Post
    The drivers depend on the console. The amp I plan on using was driving a 12" woofer with 2 smaller speakers per channel. The other amp I have was driving a Magnavox 15" woofer with three other drivers. I don't think it's typical to be driving subs with any tube amp, is it? Our horns are effiecent, so I don't see a problem there...... of course I'm not running a horn with my amp at the moment, either.
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

Senior Hostboard Member Panomaniac's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Remember chaps, don't fall into the trap of thinking that bigger speakers need more power. It's usually the other way 'round. Bigger means more efficient.
    You could drive a pair of Model 19s to respectable levels off the output of a portable radio. Try it, you might be surprised.

Nothing wrong with a good power in the bass tho. Even at the same level, it can sound better.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12