Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Dont do this....

I replaced a horn diaphragm in a 846B for a friend. Although I never would have considered using an aftermarket part, he ordered one to save a few bucks.

For the most part it looked the same and they claim everything is the same as the original, but the connection terminals were different. That issue was easy to get around.

We installed it and gave it a shot.....

NASTY!

The repaired (if you can call it that) speaker is significantly brighter sounding. I say brighter but I would call it annoyingly harsh. There is a noticeable difference between the two speakers now. At first I thought maybe the old original might just be out of spec and we should have replaced both at once, but thats not the case.

That aftermarket diaphragm sounds like hell.

This was my first (and last) experience with an aftermarket Altec part. There may be better aftermarket parts for them out there and you guys with more experience may know of some but I would never chance it with mine after hearing this.

Fair warning to those of you considering any aftermarket replacement parts. That one is getting replaced so trying to save some money wound up costing almost twice as much.
    [I][FONT=Arial][COLOR=#333333]"The problem with quotes on the internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity"
    [/COLOR][/FONT]
    - Abraham Lincoln[/I]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

Re: Dont do this....

Sounds like the Radians I tried back in the '90s, they had a 'ripping sheetmetal' overtone similar to the JBL Ti drivers, so wound up airbrushing a mist coat of Dammar on them. Sounded fine to me then, with a bit more top end 'air' compared to the Altecs, but you would need to replace/tweak such diaphragms as a pair.

GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    Sounds like the Radians I tried back in the '90s, they had a 'ripping sheetmetal' overtone
    You got that right GM. Perfect description.

Its probably no revelation to anyone here that some of these aftermarket parts are junk but I didn't think they could be that bad. I couldn't even get them close using the crossover adjustment. Way off.

I see several places claiming to have original Altec diaphragms but I am going to stick with GPA.

Do you guys always replace diaphragms as a pair?
    [I][FONT=Arial][COLOR=#333333]"The problem with quotes on the internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity"
    [/COLOR][/FONT]
    - Abraham Lincoln[/I]

Senior Hostboard Member just me now's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nipper View Post
    that's the norm for me at least....
    not often required more than once (per pair of drivers) for me...

at least GPA is quite reasonable with the outlay required,
    considering the service(s) provided as standard....
    dave's not hear

Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)

For me, the exception to "always" is in the event that a fairly new one, or one with known limited use is inadvertently damaged/destroyed by known human error.

I'm totally of the school of thought that the surrounds fatigue, certainly the old style lead in conductors did/do, and i'm sure the surround area does too. Logic suggests that this would change the parameters to a degree as well.

Maybe it's just placebo effect, but i swear that to me new phragms sound a bit crisp on top and mildly constrained especially down at a 500hz XO until they have several hours play time.

While there's some different forces at work, i'm reminded of the guitarists grin as he plays for the first time after tuning up a new set of strings.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

Yeah, generally no need if fairly new, but what apparently changes the most to affect its sonics is diaphragm fatigue, which for alum. means it work hardens, becoming brittle at junctions and since the surround is the primary HF source, it gets decoupled a bit from the dome, changing its compliance some too, so a little lower Fs combined with a more rolled off HF it sounds a bit 'fuller' and less 'crisp' as it ages.

GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Mine are 36 years old and still sound great. Should I consider replacing them?
    [/COLOR][/FONT]
    - Abraham Lincoln[/I]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

I don't see why unless you can't EQ them enough to extend the highs out ~flat to at least 16 kHz, though having a spare set just in case GPA closes sometime 'down the road' seems a good plan.

GM

Senior Hostboard Member Tom Brennan's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I like Radian diaphragms, both for Altec and JBL drivers. Now that the price difference between Radian and GPA is so little I no longer see a need for Radians in Altecs. But I think they're nice diaphragms and made in the USA to boot. And IMO their model 475 1" compression sounds very good.

Senior Hostboard Member
    Dont do this....

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    56 Post(s)

The Radian isn't bad sounding. It actually handles power better than originals, so for live they are the way to go. For home use the GPA's.

Radians in JBL 2446 sound better than titanium. None of the JBL fans will admit it though.

The design work for Radian in the beginning was Jonas and Algis Renkus.
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast