Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Altec 420 questions.

Quote Originally Posted by kwingylee View Post
    I know this is an old thread but maybe there is still interest on the Santana/420A driver. I picked up a set of the 420A drivers on the cheap a few years ago and finally put them in a pair of 828 cabinets. Like others on this thread, I tried them with different tweeters such as JBL 2404H, EV T350s etc. I used an EV Merlin ISP-100 crossover to best match the tweeters to the 420A/828 combo. The sound that yield the most phenomenal results was putting a 1000Hz LeCleach horn on top of them with a TAD2001 driver. Crossing over them at 3300Hz with a third order butter worth filter, the voices sound absolutely real. Myself and people that have heard this combo are amazed my the quality. I know this is an overkill, so this weekend, I am swapping the TAD out for cheaper drivers (ex. 902-8B) to see if I can get similar results.

Awhile back there was a gentleman on ebay selling an quasi A7 system using 420A woofers in a 825 cabinet, 511B horns with JBL drivers and ESS tweeters. He was asking very high price for the combo....but maybe he was onto something..
    Correction, I think he had 1005 horns instead of the 511....

Senior Hostboard Member
    Altec 420 questions.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    36 Post(s)

Re: Altec 420 questions.

I've always liked the sound of the BiFlex speakers. The vocals really come out.
    Sonic Barbarian

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123