Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Any musicians here???

Just curious...anyway im a sucker for ampegs loaded with altecs and i scored one of my dream amps and it took 30 years to find the one......dead mint with my favorite guitar speakers.....4344

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Any musicians here???

Sorry that no one has replied to you. I have a lot of posts regarding
    417's. Most of the guys here are not into MI, they Listen to music. Not here often,
    but have learned a lot. Great score, looks NOS, Mint.
    Jeff
    I may be wrong!

Senior Hostboard Member gearfreak's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Sweet. Now you can stock up on NOS 7027/A's. ;-)

The mid-shift on the ampegs is really what made them stand out/work for me. IME (with a tele), gives you just enough natural overdrive in the mids to sound really nice.

I had an early VT40 (similar to yours, but 4x10), that I used to carry 2 or 3 blocks to the bars. What a beast.

Frankly, it was easier if you could get it up on one shoulder, but not easy to get up on one shoulder, especially after a few.

Then I switched to heads + cabs. :-)

The VT40 was only trounced (IME) by the giant (Gibson/CMI 'SG') SG-410, which came with it's own casters. That was incredibly loud and clean for a ~50w output amp.

not mine: Recent image by geezer_rock on Photobucket

Senior Hostboard Member
    Any musicians here???

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Yeah, I'm a musician - my current amp is an old 82 Marshall combo w/ a 12" celestion.
    I haven't upgraded in a long time, but then again, I don't play as much as I used to. Lately I started playing around with that RockSmith gadget on my PS3...it's a pretty sweet trainer. Built in DSP so you can call up almost any amp/effects combination you want. I did pick up a pretty dang nice guitar recently though - a buddy of mine was selling his RG1550...I think he was an idiot for getting rid of it - it plays so damn nice...i've never sounded better hahahah

That is a sweet score you got there...mint vintage Ampeg musta set you back a bit!
    - Mike

Senior Hostboard Member cradeldorf's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I agree that is a real nice looking piece of equipment. Nice find.

HB Super Moderator
    Any musicians here???

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

I play a little guitar.. Very nice find there ! It looks to be in Mint Condition...

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks guys...its basically brand new old stock..most of the ones ive come across are usually all beat up and in need of repair...or poorly repaired....i took it to a friend of mine who slowly brought it up on a variac...it only needed a few caps.....Im a stonesaholic and this amp is the only way to get the exile on main street sound...and for the get your ya yas sound i add this cabinet to it..The 417s are one of the best guitar speakers ever. for me anyway...45

Senior Hostboard Member
    Any musicians here???

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    56 Post(s)

Frustrated off and on guitarist. Don't play much these days, between health issues and arthritis. Sold my old (as in 50's) Strat to an extremely competent English fellow. Big amp is in storage, early 60's Bassman modified with a twin output section, and a 2x12 Fender cab with 417-c. I play a hot rodded Korean Squier Strat with GFS staggered alnicos and tremelo. maple neck, bone nut, otherwise stock. Most of the time just use a Frontman 25R. The Bassman I have is the one Marshall cloned the preamp for their early amp. Fuzzy brain doesn't remember model number offhand.

Heroes? Eric Clapton, Dave Edmunds,obviously Chuck Berry, Ritchie Blackmore...that list could get long. Just basic rock....
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

i made my living playing from the late 70s until about 5 years ago...you could work 5 or 6 nights a week...or go out and hear good bands with different styles or genres ...in a small club with a pa system bigger than a house...lol....those were the days

Senior Hostboard Member
    Any musicians here???

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    56 Post(s)

My back remembers many of those PA systems. Other than a short hiatus with Altec, did mostly touring audio from 1970 to 78.

RCA w-bins AKA Shearer horns. We owned 16. Most of the time we only used 8. 1971 at a college festival in North Carolina we used all 16, along with 16 Altec 815' types, actually cut down 210's, 8 1003 with dual 290's and every amp we could beg, borrow and steal. Today wouldn't be adequate, but impressive for those days. all Altec except for amps, and the drivers in the Shearer bins were some oddities a fellow in Pennsylvania was having mad, think by Eminence. We even had a lot of Altec mics, gave bfish a couple leftovers a few years back.
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast