Thread: OT: Best youtube downloader/converter? Free?

Senior Hostboard Member VolvoHeretic's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

OT: Best youtube downloader/converter? Free?

So, I spilled the wife's wine onto her laptop, killed it, and lost a few years worth of YouTube music downloaded with Real player. Not real impressed with Real payer and would like recommendations for other downloaders/converters, preferably free ones.

Thanks.
    Last edited by VolvoHeretic; April 4th, 2014 at 10:22 PM.
    "James, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing!" World's scariest Volvo: [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKn-LTNa4rc[/url]

Senior Hostboard Member joyspring's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: OT: Best youtube downloader/converter? Free?

youtube-dl is a Python-based command line program that I use on Unix machines... if you have access to a Python interpreter for Windows or Mac OS X, then it ought to work fine.

youtube-dl

Usage is: $ youtube-dl <URL to youtube media>
    and yields a .mp4 file.

Subsequently, I use ffmpeg to extract .aac audio from the .mp4, mplayer to convert to .wav and lame to encode a mp3. It's all contained in a shell script.

BobR

- - - Updated - - -

youtube-dl is a Python-based command line program that I use on Unix machines... if you have access to a Python interpreter for Windows or Mac OS X, then it ought to work fine.

http://rg3.github.io/youtube-dl/

Usage is: $ youtube-dl <URL to youtube media>
    and yields a .mp4 file.

Subsequently, I use ffmpeg to extract .aac audio from the .mp4, mplayer to convert to .wav and lame to encode a mp3. It's all contained in a shell script.

BobR

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks Joyspring. After looking at their websight, it looks complicated, is it?

How about Freemake? Freemake | Best Freeware Alternatives To Paid Video Software
    As described on this comparison sight: 5 Free YouTube Downloaders & Converters Compared: Which One Is Right For You?
    "James, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing!" World's scariest Volvo: [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKn-LTNa4rc[/url]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

NP VH, just thought I'd offer recommendations based on my experience (and as a free software advocate), most of which is on Unix- and GNU/Linux-based platforms. For background:

Free Software Foundation, working together for free software
    The GNU Operating System

I use Windows and Mac OS X only when necessary for compatibility with employer, client and student projects naturally; however, that stated, I do own licenses for ARTA, Mathematica, SPSS, Pro Tools, Logic, Avid Media Composer, various plug-ins. Unfortunately, the free analogues tend to be less user-friendly (and often cannot support proprietary-licensed codecs) but I prefer to use them anyways ;-)

Based on the website description, it appears that Freemake for Windows has the versatility to do everything you require including MP3 ID tags. Good luck!

BobR

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by VolvoHeretic View Post
    So, I spilled the wife's wine onto her laptop,
    might not be all that 'dead'.

many ways to fix stuff like this.

````````````````````````````````````````````

this works quite well.

Free Youtube Downloader | YTD Youtube Downloader

Free Youtube Downloader | YTD Youtube Downloader
    guns kill people,

like spoons made rush limbaugh,

fat ....

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for the link Tomt, my son and his friend, the computer tech removed the hard drive and tried it in an external driver with no results. They have already replaced the drive and the computer is again up and running. It's odd that this crappy Toshiba laptop has a sealed keyboard with only one ribbon wire passing through the case into the lower part of the computer, yet there were about 10 holes punched through the metal case letting wine flow around the keyboard and drip down onto every major internal component. Stupid design...

I only lost two songs I really liked that have since been removed from you tube and are irreplaceable, a live Spain by Chick Corea, and another live song by Al Di Meola. Bummer

After much reading of reviews for Freemake and YTD Youtube Downloader, it appears that both are loaded with adware and spyware that take over your computer. Even their paid versions eventually take over. And so, alas, the search goes on...
    Last edited by VolvoHeretic; April 11th, 2014 at 12:04 AM.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by VolvoHeretic View Post
    After much reading of reviews for Freemake and YTD Youtube Downloader, it appears that both are loaded with adware and spyware that take over your computer. Even their paid versions eventually take over. And so, alas, the search goes on...
    Probably the biggest practical reason to consider open source software in spite of user interfaces that are often not quite so friendly.

Managing several student picture and sound editing labs at work, it's quite amazing to watch the network traffic to vendors `phoning home' through our routers... I won't allow hosts with commercial operating systems or software on Internet-connected networks at home.

Good luck finding those songs!
    BobR