Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: OT: Using gain control Wisely????

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

Re: OT: Using gain control Wisely????

This is what Pandora does and why I ditched it pretty quick ages ago when it was still in its infancy and switched to Grooveshark as it allows one to create libraries of only one artist/whatever. I haven't accessed my account in years though, so it may not still allow it.

GM

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bowtie427ss View Post
    That's a great resource, GM. Thanks for posting. Most explanations on the web get overly technical and confusing to many folks.

One thing i would add for hifi applications, you need to be very mindful of the frequency extremes when the system is not hi and low pass filtered. There can be large signals present in recorded media at frequencies well beyond those encountered in a live sound application. Send a couple hundred watts of 16hz to an 825 or 828 cabinet and you'll quickly understand what i'm talking about.
    You're welcome!

Yeah, it's not something that one can intuitively figure out. Happened onto another one last night, but didn't take the time to read it, so Caveat Emptor: http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...ur-system.html

I use to periodically point out that even in the digital age all < truly 'full range' systems need a TT 'rumble filter', but folks by and large didn't believe me, so said to heck with it, yet folks with vented speakers wonder why they sometimes 'pop' at high excursion when either no music, or some with no strong bass content, is playing.

Then there's the amp protection ckt. clipping to protect the woofer and either damages the [super] tweeters to burn them out over time like I learned the hard way with my ultralight diaphragms or just flat out pops them instantaneously. Fortunately, with modern amps the latter isn't the problem it once was, but it doesn't hurt to have a light bulb in series just in case.

GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

Senior Hostboard Member VolvoHeretic's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks GM, I will check out home theater shack tonight. I have only been using Pandora for a couple of weeks and want music that I don't have to monitor or babysit and I don't want to DJ, only drink, party, and dance. Someone mentioned Juke Zone, but I don't have time to make a play list.

I am using a low cut filter, but I like the idea of a tweeter protector even though it is just a lowly Piezo, what size light bulb should I use?
    "James, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing!" World's scariest Volvo: [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKn-LTNa4rc[/url]

Senior Hostboard Member
    OT: Using gain control Wisely????

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

I not only enjoy, but pay for Pandora. I think it's $36 a year. Sound quality improves dramatically with the paid plan.

Yeah, it's kind of annoying when I want to listen to one artist, but the trade off is I get exposed to other music in the same genre that I wouldn't otherwise come across. It is Pandora "Radio" after all.

I've heard good things about Spotify, but I've never tried it.

As far as the gain structure issue, I'm just glad I found a system that keeps it pretty simple. Source (Cable, computer or TT) /pre-amp/amp/speakers. I run subs paralleled off the output of the main amp, but it has it's own volume. I set it once and never touch it. I don't even have tone controls, let alone a EQ. Give me too many dials and all I can do is mess things up.

Senior Hostboard Member valhallax's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

one rule of thumb ive found..every once in awhile, rotate the pots vigorously back and forth before you turn everything on. don't just set your system up and leave it alone. crusty pots sound horrible through your horns. also eq's are best when used only as cut devices
    "those sounds to which no definite pitch can be assigned are usually classified as noise"<br />harvey fletcher-1928

Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by valhallax View Post
    one rule of thumb ive found..every once in awhile, rotate the pots vigorously back and forth before you turn everything on. don't just set your system up and leave it alone. crusty pots sound horrible through your horns. also eq's are best when used only as cut devices
    Every mechanical connection in the signal chain can benefit from regular exercise.

I'd love to have a new piece of Altec for every time an enthusiast has heard a difference in speaker wire or interconnects that was actually only the result of disturbing a connection that was in process of degradation.
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by alancohen View Post
    As far as the gain structure issue, I'm just glad I found a system that keeps it pretty simple.
    You mean that back of your equipment doesn't look like this?

"James, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing!" World's scariest Volvo: [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKn-LTNa4rc[/url]

Senior Hostboard Member

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    36 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by VolvoHeretic View Post

i feel better now.
    Sonic Barbarian

Senior Hostboard Member

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Whoa...That brings back memories. It used to.

But not any more. After moving a few times, and completely forgetting how to rewire everything, I had to downsize:

Those are my two knobs. The one on the left is the input selector, volume on the right. Not even a remote. Below that is a Crown amp that powers the subs, and below that is a 3W/Ch main amp that delivers well over 100dB when called upon. God bless high efficiency speakers!

The AV digital front end. Mac Mini for music and movies. Blue light is the DAC:

Do I lose my stripes if I say I haven't tweaked anything in this system for over a year?

I'm putting a sub panel in my garage and just bought 70' of 6/3 UF wired for $167, and that was on sale for 40% off. The price of copper wire is just crazy.

I figure you have a pretty good retire plan going there!
    Last edited by alancohen; July 29th, 2014 at 11:17 PM.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

It's actually worse.

Senior Hostboard Member

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)