Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

Re: Magnificent Magnificents in Roswell, GA

Hmm, I use to have a factory measurement of an A7 with horn in mouth, but can't find it. Anyway, it's a bit different than flipped with horn on top and the Mag's grill, different cab material changes its tone a bit too, so unique in its own right. Call it more mellow overall with a bit lower tuning to blend better in room near/at a wall or corner.

That said, the ones I auditioned were set up to compare to the Bozak Concert Grand with the big cone tweeter 'horn array', which overall 'blew away' the Altecs big time and frankly had me trying to figure out how to come up with the cost difference of selling my then [1969] near worthless 805/288B A4s to get a pair; ultimately 'settling' for buying one of the demo pairs of the Mac 275s after they had sold off the speakers.

GM

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by voice of the theater View Post
    Makes total sense that Altec's speaker systems of that era were designed to sound great with the amps/gear of their era and as usual GM is right on the money.

EDIT#2 Magnificents have 802D h.f. drivers (which are very highly regarded drivers in the 802 line among vintage Altec aficionados IIRC) and Valencias had 806 drivers....
    FYI, 846A measurement showing +/- 3 dB from 40-15 kHz/2 pi [half space] with the peaks dips in the places that complement orchestra acoustic power responses while not exciting any sibilance in the HF. Little wonder then that [Altec] Lansing's Iconic system was the standard for the discerning consumer music lover, home theater owners and even small town cinemas of the time.

At least one pair of Mags built in '71? had 808s [barf/gag!] same as the Barcelona.

GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)

At least one pair of Mags built in '71? had 808s [barf/gag!] same as the Barcelona.
    This is supported for the Mag A7-500WIII, '75 reference guide specifies a 21545 diaphragm(symbiotik).

However, for the Barcelona, a 21597 diaphragm(aluminum) is specified. Reference guide also specifies 802-8D(which going by it's label could be practically anything).

Anybody remember these?

forums
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bowtie427ss View Post
    He brightened my world long ago .......I have since learned the importance of impedance relationship through the entire signal chain.

On other forums they call it "synergy" and dedicate entire threads to the fairy dust without ever revealing a scientific explanation or measurements.
    Yeah, sad isn't?

Anyway, glad I could 'peal back the veil of ignorance' a bit for you and others as TD likes to say. When I came to the early audio BBs, etc., horn systems in general were damned by the college youth that dominated them and even famous magazine reviewers that were well aware of the need for system 'synergy' trashed them as completely obsolete in the then current HIFI 'world' [true], presumably to pacify/pander to the then current crop of advertisers with their 'monkey coffins' and super high -nb/high DF, power SS electronics.

Any attempts by me and a few others to 'clear the smoke' were 'shouted down' with all manner of [foul] language/inuendos about heritage, etc., and on one BB I got immediately disconnected/banned, complete with my first computer virus to boot!

What a welcome [not] to the WWW!

Since I knew nothing about computers and the folks that built it were at a loss too, they had to learn about viruses or the need to protect against them, but to their credit, they learned ?post haste? and fixed my computer, etc., at no extra cost except loss of time, aggravation, etc. and just generally wished I?d bothered to learn about programming, so I could combat the a$$h0l3.

Oh well, the 'nail that stands proud gets hammered down', so when horn subjects came up I tended to either abstain or spout the 'party line' since in the scheme of things it wasn't worth fighting over and I didn?t have to listen to their misaligned, poorly implemented horn designs.

One day on the Basslist though, I'd finally had enough of horn bashing in general, so 'crossed swords' with some highly regarded and way more educated in the 'physics of the situation' European DIYers over several aspects of [mid] bass horn design and was being ~politely told that I was clueless when some 'nobody' named Tom Danley weighed in talking their language and eventually converted them to 'our' way of thinking about lots of things audio design related.

Now, thanks to TD, Dr. Geddes, the late JMLC and ?Zilch? along with the folks doing the flat pack, etc., econo-horn horn kits, horn/WG systems have a good size niche in DIY audio and the way things are heating up, two and three way Unity/Synergy kits could become a reality in the near future now that powerful digital signal processor prices have plummeted in recent years.

GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

Junior Hostboard Member mikte15's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hi, I'm Mike and today is the first day for posting and of course, I am an Altec fan.

I have a fairly nice pair of Valencias in my living room and I have one Magnificent in the basement.

Its' Story:

I'd been musing over the notion of either buying or building Magnificents and biamping them for some time when I went to a large indoor flea market. I was stunned to see a huge single speaker against a wall covered with typical flea market trash. The grill was damaged and the back was unscrewed and leaning against the wall. I was able to look inside and determine it was indeed the Altec. After a bit of light headed negotiation I bought it for $500 plus $50 shipping to my basement. I guess I over paid but seriously, I couldn't bare knowing that it would linger in that setting.

Well I ask you what do you think it is worth? I've resigned myself to the notion of keeping it and setting up - get this, a biamped mono system for my basement woodshop.

Best Regards,
    Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images

Senior Hostboard Member
    Magnificent Magnificents in Roswell, GA

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    36 Post(s)

I'm pretty sure that when they were sold, mono sets weren't all that uncommon. she looks pretty good inside.
    Last edited by Phil-G; October 26th, 2014 at 01:57 PM.
    Sonic Barbarian

HB Super Moderator
    Magnificent Magnificents in Roswell, GA

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Well when you consider nice pairs of Magnificents sell for anywhere around $2500-$3500 depending on condition I think you did pretty good..

BTW- Welcome to the Altec Users Board ! The cabinet looks to be in real nice shape..The only problem as you already know is the grill, which won't be easily replaced.The drivers inside look pretty clean as well..

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123