Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Lansing Field Coil 15XS

Now this is something you really don't see at all.. Incredibly Rare !

Field Coil RARE 1936 Lansing 15XS Pre Altec JBL Shearer Horn Western Electric | eBay

Senior Hostboard Member Steve Schell's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Lansing Field Coil 15XS

They don't make 'em like that anymore! Though the basket resembles Altec products of decades later, note that it is a six holer with a wide clamping ring. The Lansing woofers of 1935-38 were this way until being replaced with the more familiar 8 hole model with narrow clamping ring. The outer diameter of the clamping rings is the same but the inner diameter of the later ring is larger, allowing use of a cone with more piston area. The earliest model was the 15X which included a pedestal base and rectifier field supply, for use in fancy radios. It was used without the base or supply in the first Shearer systems and renamed 15XS.

Senior Hostboard Member gvasale's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Still doesn't pre date Western Electric, right?

HB Super Moderator
    Lansing Field Coil 15XS

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schell View Post
    They don't make 'em like that anymore! Though the basket resembles Altec products of decades later, note that it is a six holer with a wide clamping ring. The Lansing woofers of 1935-38 were this way until being replaced with the more familiar 8 hole model with narrow clamping ring. The outer diameter of the clamping rings is the same but the inner diameter of the later ring is larger, allowing use of a cone with more piston area. The earliest model was the 15X which included a pedestal base and rectifier field supply, for use in fancy radios. It was used without the base or supply in the first Shearer systems and renamed 15XS.
    Hi Steve Thanks for the info on this gem... Boy you don't see these hardly at all anymore, getting rare would be a huge understatement.

Senior Hostboard Member Steve Schell's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Not sure about the dating in relation to Western Electric, gvasale. W.E. was installing their "Wide Range" floor baffle with multiple 13.5" woofers by 1932, but these early ones may have been sourced from Jensen. Both Jensen and W.E. (ERPI) produced both 13.5" and 18" woofers for use in W.E. systems, though my understanding has been that the ERPI-built ones came later. These are the ones that typically have much of the black finish falling off the frame.

I have read in some old interview notes that Jim Lansing began building his cast frame 15X to compete with the Jensen Auditorium line of cast frame speakers. If true this would indicate that Lansing's model came slightly after the Jensens that were furnished to W.E.

Senior Hostboard Member
    Lansing Field Coil 15XS

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    56 Post(s)

Note the seller says NOS cone, but doesn't say Lansing NOS cone. IMHO an older cone the reconer had was used. Don't think that is an original kit. The seller may not have intended to mislead, but it is easy to draw the wrong conclusion. And the fact he won't mention the name of this "world renowned" reconer smells a bit to me. I gladly tell folks where I got the work done.

He says quite a few things actually, with no sources of info listed.
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

HB Super Moderator
    Lansing Field Coil 15XS

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

He says the phenolic spider and original voice coil were grafted onto the new cone.. That takes a lot of patience and a lot of re-coners won't even try to do that.But with such an old and original driver it had to be tried IMO...

Here are 2 more from Vietnam.These are labeled for IPC. I didn't realize that IPC went all the way back to Lansing Manufacturing..Thought they started to collaborate with Altec in the mid 1940's.

Vintage Super RARE Western Electric IPC LU1010 Speakers Drivers | eBay

Senior Hostboard Member
    Lansing Field Coil 15XS

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    56 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Altec Best View Post
    He says the phenolic spider and original voice coil were grafted onto the new cone.. That takes a lot of patience and a lot of re-coners won't even try to do that.But with such an old and original driver it had to be tried IMO...

Agree with that, I just don't like vague claims and such. It used to be common that reconers did that stuff. But us oldsters are a dying breed. Literally.
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

HB Super Moderator
    Lansing Field Coil 15XS

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

I can tell you for sure by experience that Bill at GPA doesn't even like trying to save old voice coils and cones.. He is in the business of selling new ones though.So I understand his point of view..It's just a lot of work for no money I guess.But on this example I'm sure he would give it a whirl being as rare as they are.

That pair in Vietnam even comes with original re-cone kits.. Now that has to be one of a kind still left in the world..Or very,very,difficult to find..
    Last edited by Altec Best; September 24th, 2014 at 12:30 PM.

Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)

So I understand his point of view..It's just a lot of work for no money I guess.
    It is not practical in Bill's business model, which in my understanding was born out of the need for continued service of Altec products in use for their originally intended purpose. Most of us on this forum are coincidentally fortunate that his business model also supports our listening habits to a great degree.

His is an efficient, practical, consistent, and reliable business. It does not always suit the pickiest of high end audio/hifi nit pickers. But, neither do those nit pickers want to pay for the value of someone like Bill's time for such a specialized and delicate job.

I understand and appreciate these realities, i wish for Bill's sake and the sake of other businesses similar to his that some of the nit pickers would too. Patronize the business whenever you can, but have the decency not to bitch about it if he cannot fulfill exotic requests.

Bill is fortunate to have a little community out here that appreciates what he continues to do, and especially fortunate to have great stewards like AB and Todd who lend inside info and enlightenment, and just preserve the faith in general.
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast