Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

Re: I sure did miss you guys

Quote Originally Posted by cradeldorf View Post
    Yep Greg, Still running the KLF 30's ..........some were skeptical of my mods .........
    Interesting! When I got an RSVP to audition the original 5.1 system, I was really expecting something special and was mightily disappointed, especially at the proposed sale price point. The [lack of] integration of the CC was appalling at best, the sub a boom box and the surrounds rather 'tinny' sounding. The mains did fairly well in phantom CC mode, but being somewhat spoiled by my Altecs and having already auditioned a truly SOTA Meridian 5.2 system, the old dictum that you can get 95% of SOTA performance for 1/10th the price didn't apply this time as I expected from such a well renowned speaker manufacturer. Even Yamaha's less expensive contemporary system outperformed it overall IMNSHO.

That said, I didn't audition any later iterations of this system, figuring they'd only come up with ways to make it cheaper, so real curious what Klipsch and/or you did to turn this over priced 'sow's ear into a silk purse'.

GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

Senior Hostboard Member cradeldorf's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Here is a list of all the Mods I have made to my KLF 30s. Take it for what it is. I will update it if I make any changes but at this point I don't think there is another sound I'd like to hear coming from them.

1. Removed feet and stuck flat onto a piece of carpet. I have hardwood floors.

2. Covered Mid range horns with 2 layers of gutter seal. 1/8th inch by 4" got it at Menards.

3. Stuck 1/4' weather seal foam onto the inside woofer spokes.

4. removed port tubes.

5. Removed all foam from inside of the cabinet, cut a piece of (factory) 1" foam to fit in the top and stapled it in. cut one 3" wide strip and put it down the inside of the cabinet on one side only up against the motor board. Put a piece of 1" foam on the bottom of the cabinet from the bottom of the port holes to halfway to the motorboard.

6. Reversed the wires on the Mid horn.

7. Set speakers off the wall 8.5 inches off the wall and turned inwards and placed so that the distance between the horn centers is twice the distance of the horn center to the side wall.

8. At this time I have a piece of 2" foam spanning from above the port holes to the wall behind the speakers. It's ugly but I think it sounds good. yes I know it sounds odd and I agree that it is. But it is what it is.

9. Removed metal jumpers from terminals and replaced with 12 gauge stranded copper.

The only thing not in this list is the rebuilding of the cabs which basically was remove the motorboard and back board and screw a 3/4 x 3/4 oak ring all the way around both openings so I had a decent amount of wood to screw the panels to. Klipsch had glued them in and they were falling out when I bought them.

This was my post over on the Klipsch audio community so it probably sounds like I'm talking to them. :0

What would one of my posts be without a vid to go with it. theres a couple of more vids of them on my youtube page if your really bored.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3K0f1-ljwpA

Oh yeah I got a new projector too. much better color.
    Last edited by cradeldorf; October 23rd, 2014 at 04:33 AM.
    Todd Radel. Kool Kat :cool:

Senior Hostboard Member juniper's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Glad you are still spending some time here!!! I think lots of Altec people have played with klipsch at some point, I must say that your vids of the 604's sound clearer than the vid you posted. I know everyone says that you cant hear through computer speakers, but you can get some idea of a speakers character. Surprised that you dumped your cornscalas, they seemed to be the rage over on the K board. Glad you are happy with your 30's!!!

- - - Updated - - -

The Klipsch type speaker I would love to hear in person can be found on youtube under KLIPSCHORN DIY 2. Sounds pretty impressive, doesn't look like a klipschorn, more like a jubilee. I heard modded khorns with altec drivers and horns. After the owner heard my friends jbl system, he described it best when he said, his system sounded like a transistor radio in comparison.

Senior Hostboard Member cradeldorf's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

OMG!! Those cornscalas lasted less than about a month at my place. Absolutely the worst sounding speakers I have ever heard. And the most costly. total waste of time and money on those. I sold them to a guy in Kzoo, and he posted them for sale less than 2 weeks later and I guess some guy in Chi town bought them. They were absolutely horrid sounding. I'm sure I had some good sounding 604 videos, but these things just have perfect timbre, dialog sounds exactly like you would think the person speaking would sound like. From the bottom octave to the top they are flat linear and smooth. The biggest thing that brought them around was the foam on the woofer spokes they went from almost unlistenable to sublime. The main problems I had with the 604's was getting them to cover the entire frequency spectrum across the board. I will attribute that partially to the design and more than partially to my inability to create a decent crossover.
    Todd Radel. Kool Kat :cool:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12