Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

9864-8a on ebay.

I got all excited, for a split second, thinking this was in Detroit. It's over 700 miles away in Detroit Lakes, in MN

Altec Lansing High Output Duplex Hanging Speaker Model 9864 8A | eBay
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

Senior Hostboard Member VolvoHeretic's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: 9864-8a on ebay.

It's only 300 miles away from me (and 50 miles from my son.) I wonder how it would work as a center channel?
    Last edited by VolvoHeretic; November 11th, 2014 at 01:20 AM.
    "James, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing!" World's scariest Volvo: [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKn-LTNa4rc[/url]

Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by VolvoHeretic View Post
    .....I wonder how it would work as a center channel?
    I don't know, I've never tried. I haven't run a center channel for a long time. When I did it was a modern Cerwin Vega product, purpose built for Home Theater. The problem, for me, is that the 9864 is big for trying to occupy the same space as the TV and credenza. I would imagine just about anything Altec would be pretty good. I decided I rather have stereo than surround any way....... of course, I've never had a good HT setup either. What I have heard has always sounded too processed...... and I mean that in a very basic, non-pro-sound, kind of way.
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I was once told that running the voices threw the center channel would fix the volume issues when watching movies by separating them from the music and sound effects and being able to turn up the vocals and turn down the effects.

I have a 95wpc 7.2 Yamaha receiver that I am already using to bi-amp my stereo Altecs and need another single Altec for the center channel. Too bad the 9864-8A needs a 1000hz crossover, I only have 500hz 501-8A's laying around.

I wouldn't use it for stereo listening and would probably lay it on its side and use it as the TV stand.

Of course, it would have to be had for cheap, but since there is only one...
    Last edited by VolvoHeretic; November 11th, 2014 at 11:05 AM.
    "James, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing!" World's scariest Volvo: [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKn-LTNa4rc[/url]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

No bids yet and I have assigned my sons to get them for me for my birthday/Father's day. Do I want the matching horn that goes with it? There is also a mono electronic crossover for $200 that doesn't seem to do me any good, I would probably just buy/build a passive something off of ebay.

midwestrmg on eBay

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

No bids yet and I have assigned my sons to get them for me for my birthday/Father's day. Do I want the matching horn that goes with it? There is also a mono electronic crossover for $200 that doesn't seem to do me any good, I would probably just buy/build a passive something off of ebay.

midwestrmg on eBay
    I wouldn't call that a matching horn. If it came from the same install, I don't understand why. Maybe someone else has an idea? The 9864 already has a good size horn behind the grill.

I don't understand the crossover pricing either. I haven't priced them for awhile, but I'm pretty sure they don't get that much money, and certainly not on a pickup only auction. I wonder if the no shipping is a mistake. That crossover would not be hard to ship.

The crossover isn't the one you would want. There is a DTS crossover that would have built in profile (correct term?) for the 9864. I've only seen one or two of those on Ebay.
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Only 1 day/18 hours to go. What passive 1000hz crossover should I look for or maybe build?

Here are some specs on the 9864-8A:

Edit: The above Altec brochure claims that any old Altec passive 1000hz crossover will do. Just which one might that be?

There is a single Altec N1285-8A crossover on ebay for $80:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-ALTE...item4628921496
    Last edited by VolvoHeretic; November 16th, 2014 at 11:10 AM.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

So did you win the auction? Someone did, with one bid.
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

It's mine. It might take a while to wander up my way, but when it does, I will swap it out with one of the morphodite 418's and run it with the electronic crossover to see what she will do. Now to come up with a passive crossover for it. I kind of feel guilty about the price, maybe I'll have to throw a little something into the church's donation plate.
    Last edited by VolvoHeretic; November 17th, 2014 at 06:01 PM.

Senior Hostboard Member
    9864-8a on ebay.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    36 Post(s)

It's mine. It might take a while to wander up my way, but when it does, I will swap it out with one of the morphodite 418's and run it with the electronic crossover to see what she will do. Now to come up with a passive crossover for it. I kind of feel guilty about the price, maybe I'll have to throw a little something into the church's donation plate.
    cool when you were watching it count down and it ended with no other bids, did you say "what the hell??? no one else bid on this??" then you went "oh shit i got it" well this beats my pair of 816 VIs for 200$ if you figure out what to do with the flying gear let me know. for what it's worth it takes 14 (5/16 -18) hex set screws for the holes.
    Sonic Barbarian

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast