Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

604-8H's in Rochester, NY

These are for sale a short drive from my house. Seller is calling them Altec 604's but he told me he's not sure which model. From the crossover photo it looks like they're 604-8H's? He says cabinets are home made and that the original crossovers and drivers (with original cones and phrams) work great. I'm thinking of setting up a time to listen to them this week but was wondering if the cabs look usable/suitable for 604-8H's. I know it's hard to tell with the exterior cabinet photo. Also, I was wondering how the 604-8H's stack up against other 604's. I'm a huge fan of the mantaray horn and the tangerines but was wondering how the low end is on the 8H's. He wants $1500 for them---I know 604's are pricey but I hate to pay more than I paid for either pair of my Model 19's for 604's in homebrew cabs. What do you guys think is a fair price to offer him if the drivers are working properly/in nice shape? Or should I pass? Could these potentially give my Model 19's a run for their money (in which case I may be interested in adding them to my collection/using them as studio monitors)?
    604-84 two.jpg

604-8h.jpg
    Being of "Sound" Mind

HB Super Moderator

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Re: 604-8H's in Rochester, NY

Only you can determine if you will like them more than the 19's... As far as 604's go the 604-8H is one of the best IMO.The last alnico 604's I think.Next came the 604-8K which were ferrite.I like them, and setup properly in the right cabinet ? Yes they can give them a run for the money..With all 604's I feel, IMHO that the bass is a little shy, not non-existent, but shy.But in a 620 cabinet or one with equal internal volume the bass is good.And as far as these cabs go ? They don't look bad, almost looking like a 620 vibe there.If you are interested in them I would say go take a look ? I would offer $1200 from the photos.They may look a lot better in person.From the crossovers they look awfully dusty and dirty,like they weren't taken care of.I would definitely want to check the drivers more thoroughly.For all the things you mentioned.Original cones,diaphragms,etc...And in what condition.If they look mint then maybe closer to the $1500.Looks like a little trip is in order here..

Senior Hostboard Member magnarc's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I would echo ABs points about inspection and cost. Good Alnico 604s go for 12-1800, esp with XOs.

Senior Hostboard Member voice of the theater's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I decided to pass on these due to the home-brew cabs. If anyone else is looking for 604-8H's, here is the link for his CL ad which includes pics and his phone number.

VINTAGE ALTEC , AR , SANSUI , INFINITY , SCOTT ,SPEAKERS and more
    Being of "Sound" Mind

Senior Hostboard Member juniper's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

VOTT, did you have a chance to listen to them or measure them? I grew up right down the street from there in Williamsville, and could have a friend pick them up if they are in good working order.... If you did hear them what are your impressions?

HB Super Moderator

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Those cabs don't look bad at all ! What is it that you don't like ?

Senior Hostboard Member VolvoHeretic's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

In full concurrence with the above, my experience with Atlec is that their cabinet work is nothing to right home about.
    "James, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing!" World's scariest Volvo: [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKn-LTNa4rc[/url]

Senior Hostboard Member voice of the theater's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by juniper View Post
    VOTT, did you have a chance to listen to them or measure them? I grew up right down the street from there in Williamsville, and could have a friend pick them up if they are in good working order.... If you did hear them what are your impressions?
    I'm a good hour from Williamsville and I thought about driving to check them out but I have no idea what he modeled those cabs after or what frequency they're tuned to, etc. I admit, I'm spoiled by the turn-key Altecs I already own (Model 19's and 14's) which are very precise speaker SYSTEMS (in my opinion). The 19 and 14 cabs are custom designed and tuned to accomodate a specific driver/crossover combination. I'm just not motivated to re-invent the wheel and tinker with some other guy's home made cabs. Now if he had them in 620 cabs or Stonehenge 5 cabinets which are ideal for 604's I would have checked them out without hesitation....
    Being of "Sound" Mind

HB Super Moderator

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by voice of the theater View Post
    I'm a good hour from Williamsville and I thought about driving to check them out but I have no idea what he modeled those cabs after or what frequency they're tuned to, etc. I admit, I'm spoiled by the turn-key Altecs I already own (Model 19's and 14's) which are very precise speaker SYSTEMS (in my opinion). The 19 and 14 cabs are custom designed and tuned to accomodate a specific driver/crossover combination. I'm just not motivated to re-invent the wheel and tinker with some other guy's home made cabs. Now if he had them in 620 cabs or Stonehenge 5 cabinets which are ideal for 604's I would have checked them out without hesitation....

Well you could always scrap the cabs and drop them in these..

Built to Order Altec Lansing Stonehenge V 5 Cabinets Oak Walnut etc for 604'S | eBay