Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)

Re: Altec 1593B strange bias issue

It's my understanding that the 1593 and 1594 were "voiced" to be drop in, plug n play, solid state replacements for the 1568 and 1569 amplifiers which were being phased out of production and support.
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 604man View Post
    Good to hear the amp is working . do you think the transformers affect the tonal quality ?
    Ironic for years and years designers were trying to get the iron out , And here in a SS
    design, They are in.............GC
    I'm sure the transformer does affect the tonal quality a bit, but interestingly I have a hard time telling the 1593B apart from my quasi-complimentary amps, but I can definitely tell it apart from the BGW 205D which is fully-complimentary. So the question is: is it the transformer or the topology? McIntosh has been using autoformers (which is really not a true transformer but I believe has the same issues of saturation and bandwidth) for years with great success. I guess the devil is in the quality of the transfomers. I remember reading that Altec bought Peerless back in the day because they understood the importance of quality control for the output transformers.

Elias

Senior Hostboard Member VolvoHeretic's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Man, I sure envy you people that can speak electric. I am totally stupid electronic, but have had the pleasure of knowing two gentlemen that could build or fix anything, one was a florist/ ham operator and the other was a gas company service man and both who's hobby was to fix TV's or anything electronic. Unfortunately, they have both passed on and electronics is a sadly dying hobby.
    "James, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing!" World's scariest Volvo: [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKn-LTNa4rc[/url]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by VolvoHeretic View Post
    Man, I sure envy you people that can speak electric. I am totally stupid electronic, but have had the pleasure of knowing two gentlemen that could build or fix anything, one was a florist/ ham operator and the other was a gas company service man and both who's hobby was to fix TV's or anything electronic. Unfortunately, they have both passed on and electronics is a sadly dying hobby.
    Let Bob Pease be your guide and mentor, Go here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-E_zUJ-SKRE

;-) ..........GC

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12