Thread: Altec model 19 crossovers by Iconic. Anyone familiar?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question Altec model 19 crossovers by Iconic. Anyone familiar?

Howdy folks.

I'm contemplating a speaker project that would combine the Model 19 cabinet plans from Jeff Markwart's site: Model 19 Shop Working Prints

With the 802-8G mid/tweeter and the 416-8B woofer as built by Great Plains Audio: Great Plains Audio's Classic Series Products

I'm contemplating building a pair of Yuchi horns for the upper end, but will get a pair of 811-B's to try too: Speaker Drawings

I'm fairly comfortable with all of this to this point, but input is welcome. What I haven't decided on is what to use for a crossover. There are two offerings from Iconic, but I know nothing about them: Iconic Speaker Manufacturing - Speaker Crossovers and then there is the active route such as Marchand, ect: Marchand XM9 Active Crossover Network

So, what do you folks think, which in the end would sound best in your estimation? I like the idea of the Marchand, but I'm somewhat concerned about the added complexity.

TIA

Rick

Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)

Re: Altec model 19 crossovers by Iconic. Anyone familiar?

So, what do you folks think, which in the end would sound best in your estimation?
    Active bi-amplification.

2nd choice for me would be sourcing original Nineteen networks and rebuilding them with the component quality of your choice, this would also allow for tweaking of the topology and filter parameters.

3rd choice, plug n play solution, new N1201's from GPA.

1000x1000
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

Senior Hostboard Member endeeinn's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I use a Marchand XM-9 and it performs great. As far as complexity goes it may be a little more complex in that you have more control of your system but I consider that a positive. If you contact Phil Marchand he can build it the HF compensation that is in Markwart's design.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Ah interesting, two thumbs up to not being a fraidy cat. Thats great, I like the idea of the active approach due to all I've read about the benefits of direct coupling between the speakers drivers and your amplifiers. Plus it might end up being a good excuse to acquire some more toob gear.

I have family in the OKC area that I've not been down to visit in some time. I could drive down to visit them and maybe make arrangements to talk to the folks at GPA while there.

I have a source here in Jefferson City for nice, cabinet grade baltic birch ply, and as I said; I'm aware of the shop drawings on Jeff's site. Are there any known, or preferred alterations routinely done to the factory specs of these enclosures? I've already decided to use 4 bolts vs 2 with fender washers to hold the top bonnet on, I don't like the look of just 2.

Anyway, thanks for the input guys. Anything else you think of please feel free to shout out.

Rick

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

These aren't factory stock obviously, but I do love the understated appearance of them. Very tastefully executed IMO.

Anyone know by chance who built them?

Senior Hostboard Member
    Altec model 19 crossovers by Iconic. Anyone familiar?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mizzou View Post

These aren't factory stock obviously, but I do love the understated appearance of them. Very tastefully executed IMO.

I don't know, but I sure do like that! Those have WAF written on them.
    - Mike

HB Super Moderator

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alien_Shore View Post
    I don't know, but I sure do like that! Those have WAF written on them.
    If they had a vertical wood support down in the woofer section they would almost look like a Klipsch Belle IMHO..

Don't know much about the Yuichi Horns.. But from what I hear about the Iconic Crossovers is that they are quite expensive..Never heard them so can't comment on their sound quality.What I did was I bought a pair of donor crossovers from ePay and put my originals away..Then I just rebuilt the donor pair.

BTW- Welcome to the board Rick !

2original

3original
    Last edited by Altec Best; November 27th, 2014 at 03:55 PM.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Altec Best View Post
    If they had a vertical wood support down in the woofer section they would almost look like a Klipsch Belle IMHO..

Don't know much about the Yuichi Horns.. But from what I hear about the Iconic Crossovers is that they are quite expensive..Never heard them so can't comment on their sound quality.What I did was I bought a pair of donor crossovers from ePay and put my originals away..Then I just rebuilt the donor pair.

BTW- Welcome to the board Rick !

Thanks, AB.

Yes, the WAF on this pair is good, for something this big. They do resemble the Belle's, which I always thought was the best looking Klipsch design.

AB, is there a build thread here for your crossover build? It looks interesting and I wouldn't mind reading about them.

I've got my patterns sorted out for the Yuchi horns, it should prove an interesting project. I'm making one of the 2" throat versions, only time can tell if they sound nice or not.
    Last edited by Altec Best; November 28th, 2014 at 02:33 PM. Reason: Fixed the quote tags

HB Super Moderator

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Here are a few threads that maybe helpful.. Don't have a build thread per say.But think there is some good info here..Was looking for a particular thread that I couldn't find but anyway there are enough to help out... Best of Luck with your project !

Model 19 Ground Bypass Mods Revisted !

altec model 19....

More Model 19 questions

New Model 19 owner - xover/foam questions

Heads up - 19's for sale

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mizzou View Post

I stumbled across the origin of these. They were built by Greg at Volti. They look to me like a cross between a Belle and a model 19, but in fact the bass unit is JBL. The top end I think is B&C and Beyma. As I understand it these were built before the Vittora.