Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Is it a first? modyfing an Altec speaker with a klipsch horn

I always have heard about modifying Klipsch speakers with Altec parts, never the other way around. I heard of a well regarded Klipsch horn and purchased a pair. they had been sitting in my basement for many,many months. I went to listen to a few systems this past week and decided to give it a try... Oris orpheans and the the jbl H9500, to say the least, I am impressed with the klipsch horn....
    Last edited by juniper; December 7th, 2014 at 06:44 PM.

Senior Hostboard Member

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    56 Post(s)

Re: Is it a first? modyfing an Altec speaker with a klipsch

You're entitled to your opinion, but having looked at a lot of Klipsch I wonder why you would bother. There is cheap chinese stuff for a quarter the price that sounds better.
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

Senior Hostboard Member juniper's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I agree, many things they make are sub par, the horn is a K 402 and it blows my M19 horn out of the water.... Wish I could upload pics, they are on top of my M19's and they are as almost as big. The H9500 is no slouch and the Orphean has some merit... it is actually funny to see an M19 with a horn on top that is as big as it... with the right combination this would sound very good!!!

Senior Hostboard Member

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    56 Post(s)

Okay I looked up the horn. It's a bigger horn, substantially bigger than an 811. So your comparison, in my opinion, just plain is not valid. It's a 300 Hz horn, according to forum posts there, so challenge you to compare against a 311-90 instead. The Klipsch won't be any better. I also looked thru Klipsch drivers, and frankly, a lot of them look like the cheap Chinese stuff I mentioned, marked up considerably.

Essentially, computer controlled machining has allowed low end makers to churn out better products, what could only be done by hand 30 years ago. Most of the Eastern makers simply copy the geometries established by Lansing, Western Electric, etc. For instance the JBL 2 inch driver is based on Western Electric, the geometry was refined by Renkus after he left Altec. So if you are using Klipsch drivers I am almost certain they are patterned after WE/Lansing/Altec/Renkus topology. Figure that in.

You can get a $75 driver that performs as well in many situations as a $300 driver did in years past

If you aren't comparing similar products though as I said, the comparison isn't fair. A bigger horn GENERALLY will be smoother across the mids than a smaller one. Just as a 15 inch woofer will generally have better bass than a 4 inch.

To do a real comparison the different drivers should be tried on the same horns, to see how much is horn and how much is driver.

I have to say, honestly, I hope the board doesn't go far in the direction of building "Frankenstein" products made up of multiple manufacturers. If we did, I'd rather support vendors who don't mark up stuff 400% like Klipsch does.

Sorry for the rant, just be fair in comparisons as I said. And the fact that Klipsch poses as a "manufacturer" when they are mostly a marketer does get my goat.

BTW the 311 I mentioned has been used to mod Klipsch designs with substantial improvement.

http://www.northreadingeng.com/ALTEC...EC_311-90.html

Qside 1

Klipsch Altec JBL 4

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by juniper View Post
    I agree, many things they make are sub par, the horn is a K 402 and it blows my M19 horn out of the water.... Wish I could upload pics, they are on top of my M19's and they are as almost as big. The H9500 is no slouch and the Orphean has some merit... it is actually funny to see an M19 with a horn on top that is as big as it... with the right combination this would sound very good!!!
    Yeah, the 402 is something. And, unlike other devices mentioned, can actually be obtained.

Old Guy, I think it would be best if you heard the 402 with a good driver before claiming something else is superior.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

OG I understand where you are coming.... I didn't compare the two horns, the Altec and the Klipsch... I was just happy about an upgrade to my system. The h9500 with its driver is uber rare, and the oris horns are fairly pricey at 3000 a pair without drivers and you have to paint them... I don't believe the 311 could keep up with these horns, and they are far less pounds, than the big vintage Altec offerings.... pounds as in money and in weight on top my beloved M19's

Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)

blows my M19 horn out of the water....
    As will the QSC 446GP.

They're 35 dollars each.
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

Senior Hostboard Member

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    56 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mizzou View Post

Old Guy, I think it would be best if you heard the 402 with a good driver before claiming something else is superior.
    What I said is if you make comparisons, make them fair. The cheap Chinese stuff mentioned BTW is likely EXACTLY the same stuff Klipsch sells but at a quarter the price.

OTOH having heard the horns Klipsch or the Chinese maker for Klipsch stole the design ideas from, do you not think I have a good idea what they will sound like? It's not any brilliant new idea. It's a continuation based on established designs.

Edit/addendum: in the interest of full disclosure Klipsch could be the poster child for what I detest in modern business. They mostly tread on past reputation, building little themselves, farming out most of the manufacturing. I'm certainly willing to admit the may have viable options, it would be a very poor company that made nothing at all usable. But I sincerely believe just as good is available elsewhere, and likely for less.

JBL is building most stuff offshore now, but has a much larger design staff, and is still generating new ideas. But even they I have issues with, just less than Klipsch.
    Last edited by Old Guy; December 10th, 2014 at 10:36 AM.

Senior Hostboard Member

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    56 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bowtie427ss View Post
    As will the QSC 446GP.

They're 35 dollars each.
    Very similar unit, QSC list as replacement for the horn you mentioned $12.50

PL-000723-TS

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

OG I am pretty sure these horns are made in the U.S., klipsch makes many of their speakers here manly the more expensive ones. For 2400 a pair plus shipping, I think they are a good deal. This isn't a flimsy plastic horn, it is pretty substantial... As far as the drivers I am sure you are correct, but very few people use the driver that comes with these horns... Hoping to bolt up some Altec drivers very soon....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast