Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ok i have an idea. what if i used Altecs for a theater?

Senior Hostboard Member gvasale's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Ok i have an idea. what if i used Altecs for a theater?

If I had my steel shed ready, I could use a couple of feet to one side. It's a 10 x 10. I need to dig for 5 sonotubes and a post hole digger would be really nice. There's also a lot of rural NY and I think only one might fit in the station wagon.

Boy, my wife would be pissed.

Senior Hostboard Member
    Ok i have an idea. what if i used Altecs for a theater?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    36 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bowtie427ss View Post
    My advice would be to stick with getting a 2 channel system properly set up in that space first. Then, maybe take it up to 2.1 for more contemporary flicks.

I'm wanting badly to sell these, very soon, and cheap, before i have to tear them apart.
    like to help you out but, the freight would put me over budget.
    what do you think about using wings at the stage level vs putting the 828s up where the A7s were in the wall? right now im setup to triamp the 299, 515s and subs. i'm still thinking about a single 604 for the center.

the original A7s mounted in the wall had 416 8As with 511 802As. their bitch was they kept blowing out the diaphrams. not sure what crossover they had it most likely was a 500. it sounded pretty damn good as i recall.
    Last edited by Phil-G; May 14th, 2015 at 10:57 PM.
    Sonic Barbarian

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

Yeah, unless tilted down and angled in, they would be too far off axis to be anything but ambiance 'fill' speakers, so filling this much airspace with high speech intelligibility would require large multiple driver multi-cells or similar.

WRT to a 604 CC, you might get by with an A7 cab with side and top wings, but ideally you?ll need an original A5 [H110] cab [or = with one or more 515 or similar woofers], which as you can see is quite large: http://forums.melaudia.net/attachment.php?aid=3770

GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

Senior Hostboard Member

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    36 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    Yeah, unless tilted down and angled in, they would be too far off axis to be anything but ambiance 'fill' speakers, so filling this much airspace with high speech intelligibility would require large multiple driver multi-cells or similar.

WRT to a 604 CC, you might get by with an A7 cab with side and top wings, but ideally you’ll need an original A5 [H110] cab [or = with one or more 515 or similar woofers], which as you can see is quite large:
    GM
    i planned on tilting and toeing in the cabs. in the wall boxes. i just thought it would sound good if the speakers are on the same plane as the screen. and depending on how the subs go, i hoped to bring the freq of 828s up to the low range of the horn and run the subs below that down to as low as i can go

it really isn't that large of a space GM. (although it seemed huge when i was a kid. ) the pictures make it look a lot larger. they used to have a big hammond organ with a leslie that could run you outta there. you know GM if you were here it would make it a lot easier.
    Last edited by Phil-G; May 15th, 2015 at 08:58 PM.
    Sonic Barbarian

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bowtie427ss View Post
    . Sadly, the 210's have become albatross' that i have invested too much physical space in on top of the cost of getting them here. Somebody, give those dogs a home!
    I understand that too well,the little Flamencos ,unused,are starting to get in the way.

If the Susquehanna ever reaches you again those 210's could be used as barges.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil-G View Post
    it really isn't that large of a space GM. you know GM if you were here it would make it a lot easier.
    Hmm, somewhere around 50 k ft^3 is a lot of air to wick away sound power and keep in mind that the 604 was designed for relatively small audio broadcasting & recording studios, so with sound power falling at 6 dB/doubling of distance in large spaces and a few mm at most of linear excursion, high speech intelligibility down to the desired ~80 Hz will rapidly fade over distance and even quicker if behind the screen [especially off axis].

Yeah, I wish I could afford to move further south or at least be close to DIYers active in my kind of audio systems. I use have a Daytona Bike Week time share and a beachfront lot down near Sarasota to build on when I retired, but was forced to sell it all back in the '90s for a variety of reasons.

GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

Senior Hostboard Member

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    36 Post(s)

i'll take a tape measure and get real dems. what i posted was a guestimate. i really need to play a speaker of a known performance in the room. to understand the acoustics.

you can still get places here pretty cheap. no state income tax, no heating bills, no spring floods, ,,,
    Last edited by Phil-G; May 16th, 2015 at 10:20 PM.
    Sonic Barbarian

Senior Hostboard Member

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    36 Post(s)

I was over by about 2' on my measurements. and i should add the ceiling starts out at 20' at the walls and 35' at the peak

i used a single WE 2cf / 755E with a pyle PTau23(cigarbox sized amp) and my cellphone on the left channel as a tester. moving the speaker around the stage I lost very little sound from the front to the back. the bass, for whatever a 755Es worth, carried pretty strongly all the way to the back. there was (an expected) bump in the bass response in the alcove at the back of the stage.

if i remember correctly. Built in the 50s they didn't use a pa to speak of, in the building till the mid 60s. and that was a couple wall boxes. the organ and piano(no amp) could get pretty loud in there.

my gut feeling is it's not going the take a lot to shake this room. like i said GM sure wish you were here.

Last edited by Phil-G; May 18th, 2015 at 10:54 PM.
    Sonic Barbarian

Senior Hostboard Member

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    36 Post(s)

next weekend is show time. screens up, i have all the pieces, the amps all work, i have a choice of two projectors, and i even came across a C3P0 standup for a door greeter.
    Sonic Barbarian

Senior Hostboard Member mattvandyke's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Can't wait to see what the setup looks like. Great job in putting the entire system together.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast