Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Altec Model 19 Crossover Help

Hello everyone, first post. I bought a pair of Altec Model 19's about a year ago. Everything is original. One woofer was re-coned by GPA. It's my understanding GPA doesn't refurbish the crossovers. I know they sell new crossovers for the Model 19. Does anyone know where or who could test/refurbish my crossovers. They're original and never been re-capped. After much reading I think I may need them to be refurbished with new caps. Thanks, John

Senior Hostboard Member westend9's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Altec Model 19 Crossover Help

Hi John,
    About the best advice I can give is to pose this same question on the Lansing Heritage Forum. There are some able technicians on that Forum that may be able to change your caps.

Before you proceed with the cap exchange, you may wish to research and build new networks using the Zilch designed Z-19 network. That is the way I would proceed as the Z-19 network will work well and you'll be able to keep the originals intact.

Good luck with your Model 19's.

Junior Hostboard Member xfr8tdog's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Westend9, Thanks for your input, much appreciated. John

Senior Hostboard Member

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Recapping is easy, if you have moderate skill with a soldering iron. There are several M19 refurb threads here:

help with m19 crossover

Ground bypass mod

A / B Solens & Sonicaps
    - Mike

HB Super Moderator

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xfr8tdog View Post
    Hello everyone, first post. I bought a pair of Altec Model 19's about a year ago. Everything is original. One woofer was re-coned by GPA. It's my understanding GPA doesn't refurbish the crossovers. I know they sell new crossovers for the Model 19. Does anyone know where or who could test/refurbish my crossovers. They're original and never been re-capped. After much reading I think I may need them to be refurbished with new caps. Thanks, John
    Welcome to the Altec User Board !

John ,

Alien Shore has posted some threads that should help you rebuild your crossovers.. I can assure you that your crossovers definitely need to be rebuilt.. I can't stress enough of how much a difference it made with my M19's.. They will get better then they are right now... All you need is some new wire.Stranded 14 awg is enough thickness. New Caps & Resistors.. And maybe a can of De-Oxit 5 for the L-pads..That's it ! Don't remove the coils/inductors. They very rarely go bad and is a waste of money IMHO..If you have a meter by all means check them.They are iron-core and where made in house by Peerless.If you have any more questions feel free to ask ? I had to get parts from 2 sources as one place didn't carry all the values I needed. I recommend Parts Express and Madisound.. The 2 hardest parts to source will be the 3.9 ohm resistors and the 21 uF capacitors.To get to that value you may have to get a 10uF & a 11uF cap and parallel them.

Junior Hostboard Member xfr8tdog's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Altec Best and Alien Shore,
    Thanks so much for your input...and the links, much appreciated! Sorry for the delay in getting back to this post. I've been looking at the GPA 1200 crossover also. I may pick up a pair and leave the originals as is. I have read about Bill's crossovers and they're all good/excellent testimonies. I have made RCA interconnects but that is the extent of my "Tec" experience level. I don't know how to read schematics and values of caps/resisters etc....maybe I could get a beginners book and learn how I guess. I have all tube equipment but usually take it to a local Tec to have it worked on if needed. He does a good job (takes forever though). So I haven't made a decision yet but you've given me some great help and a lot to think about! Thanks again, very helpful. Sincerely, John