Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Valencia 846A crossover question

Hi - New to this forum.

Recently picked up a nice pair of Valencias in good working order and with nice cosmetics.

They sound great, however the N-800 crossover should be rebuilt with new caps and possibly upgraded also.

Seeking recommendations from this community on best approach - rebuild the N-800 or replace with a new crossover?

Does anyone have experience with replacement crossovers from Werner Jagusch in Germany?

Jagusch.jpg

Senior Hostboard Member endeeinn's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Valencia 846A crossover question

I haven't purchased a crossover from him but did purchase a pair of his autoformers which are used in his crossovers. The quality is excellent, shipping and communication was speedy and he provided schematics of how to use/wire into a crossover. As stated he uses an autoformer in his crossovers to match output levels which is far superior in my opinion to the L-pad used on the Valencia.

Senior Hostboard Member

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I answered this question in depth over on AK and posted a pic of a naked N800F crossover. This unit uses a pot/rheostat and fixed resistor, not a rotary L-pad.

Although I agree that those audioformers look extremely nice, I'd be tempted to use a fixed resistive L pad and bypass the series resistor with a cap for a touch of welcome 6dB HF boost.

But I want a pr of those autoformers!
    Whereof we cannot speak, thereof we must remain silent --Wittgenstein

Junior Hostboard Member EliFisk's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Installed the Werner Jagusch XOs for the Valencias and have found that the speakers have clarity and resolution instead of murk and mud. There is also better bass slam. Overall a huge improvement and highly recommended.xo.jpg

Senior Hostboard Member

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

thanks for the follow-up on the WJ crossovers. It looks like there are various taps on the coils. I assume this allows for selecting the XO frequency?
    - Mike

Senior Hostboard Member endeeinn's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alien_Shore View Post
    thanks for the follow-up on the WJ crossovers. It looks like there are various taps on the coils. I assume this allows for selecting the XO frequency?
    The taps provide attenuation for the tweeter to match output levels of the woofer and tweeter.

Junior Hostboard Member stevenarrow's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hello,

I'm using this crossover now. I am having a difficult time setting it up -- the roll-off pot which is supposed to set the starting frequency of the HF does not seem to adjust the frequency rather acts to adjust the level. The crossover point seems to be set at around 1200Hz...

Can anyone help me work through this?

Senior Hostboard Member BillWojo's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

I'm not familiar with this crossover but I would think the L-Pad is doing what it's supposed to do. I would think the the crossover is optimized for 1200Hz, just like the Model 19 crossover.

BillWojo

Senior Hostboard Member LowOhms's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by EliFisk View Post
    Hi - New to this forum.

Recently picked up a nice pair of Valencias in good working order and with nice cosmetics.

They sound great, however the N-800 crossover should be rebuilt with new caps and possibly upgraded also.

Seeking recommendations from this community on best approach - rebuild the N-800 or replace with a new crossover?

Does anyone have experience with replacement crossovers from Werner Jagusch in Germany?

Jagusch.jpg

Ed,

I would go SLOW and conservative.

Tell us about your audio system. Are you using really good electronics on the speakers? Tube, solid state amplifier.?? Do you have a good " front end" in your system ( music source ).??

The film caps in a stock crossover for-sure always require an upgrade, due to degradation, and the fact that better capacitors are available today, and some high performing ones, at NON audiophile prices. I would replace the caps in the stock crossover, before spending money on a fancy German total crossover replacement unit. Go slow.

The VERY first thing I would do is a really high quality rewire of the system, starting with the amplifier's output, to the crossover, and then, crossover to the Valencias individual drivers. What is the good of spending a lot of money on an " audiophile" crossover, if the entire speaker's wire chain is CRUMMY ???

There is a current thread on some ( way way too small ) Belden 16 AWG " speaker " wire, right on this front page. Go down to my post in that particular thread, I think its number five, where I outline EXACTLY what to do, for a high " bang-for-the-dollar " rewiring of any ALTEC speaker. I did not address the crossover rewiring, and surely that may need some thought, or be approached intuitively for now, as part of the total upgrade.

" No need to do a heart transplant, when the patient's veins and arteries are all clogged up !!! " Its a system, all inter-related.

If you have any questions, contact me. Glad to assist. Welcome to ALTEC land, and wait till you hear it idealized !!

Jeff Medwin

Senior Hostboard Member gdmoore28's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stevenarrow View Post
    Hello,

I'm using this crossover now. I am having a difficult time setting it up -- the roll-off pot which is supposed to set the starting frequency of the HF does not seem to adjust the frequency rather acts to adjust the level. The crossover point seems to be set at around 1200Hz...

Can anyone help me work through this?
    Steve,
    Bill is right, as was noted in the above posts - the crossover frequency is fixed at approximately 1200 Hz. The only adjustment you are allowed is in setting the output level of the horn. Are you having some other problem?
    GeeDeeEmm

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast