Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Just bought one Altec 604 RWB / a real legend

Haven't been here for long. I left Altec for a while after I moved to a new house in Seoul with smaller rooms. The sound of 604b wasn't unbearable in the changed circumstance. It wasn't just size of the room. There was something that didn't accept 604b but I don't know what it was. So I sold it.

But I couldn't leave the memories of some voices of my favorite singers and the touch of piano keyboard of Bach(for example) and I had to realize they are following me everywhere. Am I hypnotized?

So I thought I was going to get one, I knew that I am going to get one someday,, not same 604b though, because I wanted to know more about Altec, I wanted to experience other Altec too. And thought about something like 604H or 604E or 19. Sometimes I thought I was going for A7, simple version with 620 cabinets and small horns with 806 drivers.

Stupid me.
    One day I found one 604RWB on ebay. It looked fantasic with nice RWB log on it and original old aluminum diaphram and original network. it didn't take long to go for BIN. I just couldn't hold myself . I didn't even check it carefully. You can tell I am very impetuous not meticulous when buying Altec..haha.

Problem is I have to change the woofer paper cone. And I am thinking to contact GPA for that'
    "Full restoration for the original Altec 515 low frequency loudspeaker is available. This includes a full paper cone, phenolic spider, and total remagnetization. We also provide this service for the original Altec 604 DUPLEX? loudspeakers. Please specify this option when sending in your loudspeaker. " This is what I found from their website. Very good.
    So they have (make) full paper cone, phenolic spider.
    I have to order one full paper cone with phenolic spider and install it here. Because it would be too much to ship 604 to them. I paid $280 for shiping from US to Korea already.

Now I need one more 604RWB to make it a pair.
    It would be wonderful if there is anyone here who has one and willing to depart from it.
    Please let me know if anybody has one.

Jh, Kim from Seoul

HB Super Moderator
    Just bought one Altec 604 RWB / a real legend

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Re: Just bought one Altec 604 RWB / a real legend

Welcome Back to Altec Sanhanul ! Place a want ad in the Marketplace thread at the top of page...

http://www.hostboard.com/forums/f700/177153-altec-users-board-free-marketplace.html
    Last edited by Altec Best; January 16th, 2016 at 12:30 AM.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sanhanul View Post
    Problem is I have to change the woofer paper cone. And I am thinking to contact GPA for that' "Full restoration for the original Altec 515 low frequency loudspeaker is available. This includes a full paper cone, phenolic spider, and total remagnetization. We also provide this service for the original Altec 604 DUPLEX? loudspeakers. Please specify this option when sending in your loudspeaker. " This is what I found from their website.
    Greets!

Wasn't aware of this, thanks! Very good news indeed as IME the original 515, Duplexes, especially the field coil models, are audibly superior enough to justify their high prices with the only downside being their considerably higher Fs, but then that's what separate sub systems are for, right?

GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Yes, it is great that GPA supplies original 515 paper cone with phenolic spider. Hope I understood right. I will contact them this week.

Senior Hostboard Member juniper's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Wow, didn't know they "provided this service"..... I enjoyed the g's they fixed for me.. but do they have a stack of 515 cones I wasn't aware of.......might need to make that call....

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I got a message from GPA.

I am sorry to say that it is not available any more.

Now,,,what should I do?