Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Re: OT: Totally off topic

Definitely go for a variac at those low prices.

Light bulb method included in this web page(Dim Bulb Tester): Steps to first power on.

Another way is to series connect the secondaries on a bunch of low voltage transformers and step upwards on the taps. Incorporate a protective fuse.
    Last edited by mah; January 31st, 2016 at 05:53 AM.
    Opinion is only as valid as its verifiable supporting evidence.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

Hmm, when it seems to be too good to be true, it usually is and having been burned on epay, really leery of even considering buying from there unless it's close enough to me to go see it.

Thanks for the link! Reminded me how much I've forgotten about basic electronics. Sure wish I still had my Heathkit capacitor checker, scope, etc., but only have a couple of tube devices to worry much about WRT reforming caps if possible after many decades of attic storage that has a below 0 to upwards of 150 degF temp and 25-100% relative humidity 'swings'.

GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

HB Super Moderator
    OT: Totally off topic

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    Hmm, when it seems to be too good to be true, it usually is and having been burned on epay, really leery of even considering buying from there unless it's close enough to me to go see it.

Thanks for the link! Reminded me how much I've forgotten about basic electronics. Sure wish I still had my Heathkit capacitor checker, scope, etc., but only have a couple of tube devices to worry much about WRT reforming caps if possible after many decades of attic storage that has a below 0 to upwards of 150 degF temp and 25-100% relative humidity 'swings'.

GM
    Yeah the attic is not an ideal storage location just for that reason..I wouldn't store any kind of electronics or speakers in that environment. WRT eBay they have changed quite a bit in the past few years..The buyer has all the control these days.With the Buyer protection if you complain that the item is not like the description they put a hold on your Paypal account for the purchase price.I had a problem once a couple years ago, not with the description but with delivery even though I had a USPS receipt. So the buyers really have no worries anymore on ebay IMHO.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

Thanks, good to know!!

GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12