Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

OT: Totally off topic

Was watching some ancient game shows in the wee-wee hours the other night on the local 5.3 OTA channel including one of my faves, the original TO TELL THE TRUTH where [3] contestants are presented to a diverse panel of professionals, mostly in the entertainment business.

Anyway, the Dec. 18, 1956 show had a contestant whose specialty was acoustics, whom I knew on sight [though not back then as this was right before the Christmas that set in motion my ~life long fascination with DIY audio] and the panel unanimously chose due to his typical engineer's accurate, detailed responses. None other than Leo Beranek!

GM
    Last edited by Altec Best; January 30th, 2016 at 12:26 AM. Reason: Title
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

Senior Hostboard Member VolvoHeretic's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: OT: Totally off topic

"James, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing!" World's scariest Volvo: [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKn-LTNa4rc[/url]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Last edited by tomt; February 9th, 2016 at 02:55 AM.
    guns kill people,

like spoons made rush limbaugh,

fat ....

HB Super Moderator

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

You can find pretty much anything on Youtube or google anymore ! I was going to look for that Tom Thanks for posting !

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

Thanks VH, Tom!

AB, apparently! I just this past month finally entered the 20th century [got a long ways to go yet to get into the the 21st ] with a relatively modern computer and high enough connection quality, speed internet to view/listen to youtube, etc., videos without needing buffering [even 1080P in the low traffic hours] so it didn't occur to me that something this old/obscure might be there, and in a quick browse, how many full length movies for free.

Wish I had time to get 'lost' in there for a few months, but I've more pressing ongoing issues/projects to deal with first; among others being getting all of what's left of my audio/video system functioning after doing without even stereo since '03 except through a now defunct RPTV, though not for the lack of help from various generous folks both locally and afar who I only know from various forums.

GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

HB Super Moderator

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    Thanks VH, Tom!

AB, apparently! I just this past month finally entered the 20th century [got a long ways to go yet to get into the the 21st ] with a relatively modern computer and high enough connection quality, speed internet to view/listen to youtube, etc., videos without needing buffering [even 1080P in the low traffic hours] so it didn't occur to me that something this old/obscure might be there, and in a quick browse, how many full length movies for free.

Wish I had time to get 'lost' in there for a few months, but I've more pressing ongoing issues/projects to deal with first; among others being getting all of what's left of my audio/video system functioning after doing without even stereo since '03 except through a now defunct RPTV, though not for the lack of help from various generous folks both locally and afar who I only know from various forums.

GM
    GM I'm still curious about those diaphragms I sent you.. I haven't heard them yet from GPA the 26420 Pascalites.I'm curious as to your impressions of them compared to the usual 34647 aluminums ? I don't recall what you where putting them in ? Was it a 909 or 802 ?

I'm most curious as to the difference between the all aluminum 34647 and those 26420 Pascalites.I know they have the added benefit of higher power handling, but was wondering if it is at the cost of sound quality, or if there is no, or not much noticeable difference ?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

Hopefully will have functioning electronics in the near future via a refurbished higher end Marantz HT receiver or through the refurbished 94444/SA amp Brad [b'fish] gave me once I reconnect its internal fan with a filter to make it run slower/quieter and make special patch cords to connect it to the receiver's pre-outs, then will put the Altecs back together.

Unfortunately, with my HF hearing loss since I last had a functioning stereo system, there's no way I'd be able to compare them even if I had good alum. diaphragms, so all I can say is that several folks with both couldn't tell any difference, but then they weren't exactly youngsters either. At least the 'meat' of its BW is apparently intact, which is what really counts, especially if it can actually handle higher power at ~ the same low distortion.

Another 'problem' is my rheostat is long gone and of course not a cheap 'toy', so anyone got any ideas about how to cheaply bring decades old electronics gently back to life? I'm drawing a blank ATM.

Anyway, will start a thread once I have something of potential interest to post.

GM

HB Super Moderator

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    Another 'problem' is my rheostat is long gone and of course not a cheap 'toy', so anyone got any ideas about how to cheaply bring decades old electronics gently back to life? I'm drawing a blank ATM.

GM
    What are the specs of the rheostat ? You mean L-pads for your speakers ? If so I use these here.

The Madisound Speaker Stor
    Last edited by Altec Best; January 30th, 2016 at 10:35 PM.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

No, not an L-pad and while I once upon a time used a huge 1924 stage light dimming rheostat from a small local neighborhood cinema tear down, I meant a variac, but while being put to sleep watching TV, had a mental 'light bulb'/'should of had a V8' experience, i.e. remembered reading a blurb somewhere long ago about wiring the device power cord in series with a screw in light socket and use different wattage's for awhile each to crudely 'step up' the voltage and in my case, help heat up the room as a bonus.

GM

HB Super Moderator

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Ah ha, a variac... How much current do you require for it ? There's quite a few on ebay.

a variac | eBay

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast