Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OT: Computer 101,Windoze,Software,etc.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

OT: Computer 101,Windoze,Software,etc.

Thanks! I have Win7pro and never having used PAINT, I had to Google Clipboard, but while it allows me the option to copy, then paste in a reply, nothing displays nor have I been able to quickly find where it's stored on my computer, so will have to research further if I'm not able to make SnagIt, an ancient freeware program I've historically used, work at least well enough; though if I'm to believe what I read on the net, most all of my XP and earlier programs either won't load and/or work properly and/or crash a lot, so not really looking forward to trying, especially since obviously I'm not much in the way of being computer literate.

OK, then thanks to you/whoever that finally got smart/whatever and hired someone with a clue and the desire, skills to hopefully make it 'be all it can be'.

GM
    Last edited by Altec Best; January 30th, 2016 at 09:49 PM.
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

Senior Hostboard Member

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    36 Post(s)

GM this is the easiest photo app out there. my favorite. http://download.cnet.com/IrfanView/?...=dl&tag=button don't click any "Download now" buttons except the one directly under "IrfanVeiw", download and install it. after you hit prtsc, you can open irfan view and paste. and then save it to a file of your choice or the default.
    Last edited by Altec Best; January 30th, 2016 at 09:49 PM. Reason: title fix
    Sonic Barbarian

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

Thanks! I'd totally forgotten about it. Are you sure it works fine with 7pro? Pano told me about it long time ago and used it on my original XP machine for much of its time and for whatever reason when it came time to load up yet another 'hand me down' I went back to SnagIt, which I normally left minimized, so I could copy/paste without having to save/whatever unless of course I wanted to.

GM
    Last edited by Altec Best; January 30th, 2016 at 09:50 PM. Reason: title fix
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

Senior Hostboard Member

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    36 Post(s)

i don't see why not, the last upgrade was in november
    Last edited by Altec Best; January 30th, 2016 at 09:51 PM. Reason: title fix
    Sonic Barbarian

HB Super Moderator

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

@GM...... The clipboard isn't viewable in Windows 7 or Vista. If you have a copy of Windows XP all you need to do is to copy clipbrd.exe from the c/windows/system32 folder. And Copy and paste that into the same folder in Windows 7 will now be viewable. But and easier way is using the snipping tool it is built into the OS in windows Vista & win 7. Go to: Start>all programs> accessories >snipping tool. Once you find the snipping tool just create a shortcut for your desktop. You can snip any size,full screen rectangle,etc.. and save to anywhere on your computer.

Use Snipping Tool to capture screen shots - Windows Help
    Last edited by Altec Best; January 30th, 2016 at 09:51 PM. Reason: add link

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

Steven, AB?, got carried away, so please move these OT posts to: http://www.hostboard.com/forums/f700...tware-etc.html
    Last edited by Altec Best; January 30th, 2016 at 09:52 PM. Reason: title fix and thread merge

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

Off topic: Computer 101: windoze, software, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil-G View Post
    i don't see why not, the last upgrade was in november
    Thanks! Decided to learn more before 'jumping in at the deep end', so went to their homepage since this is a 64 bit/8 GB ram machine, though no clue if I'll ever actually need a >1.3 GB capability or why anyone would want bother versions on their machine. Any idea?

GM

Starting with IrfanView 4.40 there is also a 64-bit version available.

Advantages of IrfanView 64-bit over 32-bit version:

• It can load VERY large files/images (image RAM size over 1.3 GB, for special users)
    • Faster for very large images (25+ Megapixels, loading or image operations)
    • Runs 'only' on a 64-bit Windows (Vista, Win7, Win8, Win10)

Advantages of IrfanView 32-bit over 64-bit version:

• Runs on a 32-bit and 64-bit Windows
    • Loads all files/images for normal needs (max. RAM size is about 1.3 GB)
    • Needs less disc space
    • All PlugIns will work: not all PlugIns are ported (yet) to 64-bit (like OCR) and some 32-bit PlugIns must be still used in the 64-bit version, some with limitations (see the "Plugins32" folder)
    • The Unicode and many Adobe 8BF PlugIns can't work on 64-bit

Notes:

• You can install both versions on the same system, just use different folders. For example: install the 32-bit version in your "Program Files (x86)" folder and the 64-bit version in your "Program Files" folder (install 32-bit PlugIns to IrfanView-32 and 64-bit PlugIns to IrfanView-64, DO NOT mix the PlugIns and IrfanView bit versions)
    • The program name and icon have some extra text in the 64-bit version for better distinguishing

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Altec Best View Post
    @GM...... The clipboard isn't viewable in Windows 7 or Vista. If you have a copy of Windows XP all you need to do is to copy clipbrd.exe from the c/windows/system32 folder. And Copy and paste that into the same folder in Windows 7 will now be viewable. But and easier way is using the snipping tool it is built into the OS in windows Vista & win 7. Go to: Start>all programs> accessories >snipping tool. Once you find the snipping tool just create a shortcut for your desktop. You can snip any size,full screen rectangle,etc.. and save to anywhere on your computer.

Hmm, I have the licensed XP, SP 1,2 discs [is it still necessary to input the license now that it's officially a dead OS?], so can I just browse it and DL off the disc without the license? All this stuff was always done by others and usually elsewhere, so completely clueless about just about everything except how to use Office, etc..

OK, saw the Snip Tool in the taskbar earlier, but didn't put 2 n' 2 together. Senior moments are turning into seemingly all day affairs sometimes, especially where computers are concerned. Anyway, works great, thanks!

GM

Senior Hostboard Member

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    36 Post(s)

neither vista or 7 has the snipping tool out of the box . it may be an add on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Altec Best View Post

Last edited by Altec Best; January 30th, 2016 at 09:53 PM. Reason: title fix
    Sonic Barbarian

HB Super Moderator

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

No Phil it is out of the box.. I have an old HP Laptop with Vista 32 bit that has the snipping tool and a more recent Dell Laptop with Win 7 that also has the snipping tool out of the box.
    Last edited by Altec Best; January 30th, 2016 at 09:54 PM. Reason: title fix

HB Super Moderator

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Re: Off topic: Computer 101: windoze, software, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    Hmm, I have the licensed XP, SP 1,2 discs [is it still necessary to input the license now that it's officially a dead OS?], so can I just browse it and DL off the disc without the license? All this stuff was always done by others and usually elsewhere, so completely clueless about just about everything except how to use Office, etc..

OK, saw the Snip Tool in the taskbar earlier, but didn't put 2 n' 2 together. Senior moments are turning into seemingly all day affairs sometimes, especially where computers are concerned. Anyway, works great, thanks!

GM
    Yeah not sure about getting off the discs i was talking about a working machine still running XP. If you know someone who still has one running XP have them copy that clipboard executable and send it to you and copy and paste into the system32/64 folder.. If your machine is 64 bit than will have to be a 64 bit XP version..

Your Welcome on the snip tool it works great doesn't it ?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast