0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Converting A7 cabinets into MLTL

altec 411-8A 3.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Altec Best View Post
    Can't tell much from that photo but depends on the cones.Are the cones original ? Aftermarket ? or are they GPA's... If you can find out those questions can give you a better idea.. I had a very nice pair I sold to Phil-G for $300 but they were freshly reconed/re-magnetized by GPA and never put back into service yet.So if you can do an estimate from that..I'm not sure if he used them yet or if he is going to use them at all.If not ask him if he wants to sell them.. Those are in pristine condition.
    altec 411-8A 2.jpg

Hopefully this helps, they are supposedly all original....I am asking for better cone pictures

HB Super Moderator
    Converting A7 cabinets into MLTL

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Try to get cone number pics... The cones look awfully dark..Need to see the surrounds also. Need some close ups to be sure..I am always skeptical when someone tries to sell something with terrible photos... I'm always asking myself what are they trying to hide ?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Try to get cone number pics... The cones look awfully dark..Need to see the surrounds also. Need some close ups to be sure..I am always skeptical when someone tries to sell something with terrible photos... I'm always asking myself what are they trying to hide ?
    I am meeting him at 6PM... these speakers look like they have FOAM surrounds based on google images?They should need to be refoamed by now...?

HB Super Moderator

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Its 6pm now.. Original 411's had a inverted cloth rolled surround that looks wet/doped. Recones used a regular foam surround.Check the Barcelona they came in them first..IIRC.The cones are ribbed as well.If they are not original cones it will cost you a couple C notes or more to recone them at GPA.Then I would offer 100-150 if they need to be reconed.If they are in good working original condition then 200 is a steal.

http://www.lansingheritage.org/image...ome/page04.jpg

I also should have said that Altec changed to a regular foam surround during the 411 production as well the very first original 411's had the inverted cloth roll..Look at the Altec data sheet and they have already went to the foam surround.

http://www.greatplainsaudio.com/vint...spec_sheet.pdf
    Last edited by Altec Best; March 6th, 2016 at 07:33 PM.

Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)

Original 411's had a inverted cloth rolled surround that looks wet/doped.
    Only until the point Altec realized the design was a flop. At some point in '73 or '74 they began leaving the factory with a foam surround.

The 411's in the pic above look like their cones have been spray painted. The original cones were dyed with a dye that wasn't UV stable and the cones fade easily.

An LE-15 cone is almost a direct replacement.
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

Why a flop? The [only] pair I messed with were fine for years after till they moved. Must have been a !@#$%^ to install though.

GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Its 6pm now.. Original 411's had a inverted cloth rolled surround that looks wet/doped. Recones used a regular foam surround.Check the Barcelona they came in them first..IIRC.The cones are ribbed as well.If they are not original cones it will cost you a couple C notes or more to recone them at GPA.Then I would offer 100-150 if they need to be reconed.If they are in good working original condition then 200 is a steal.

http://www.lansingheritage.org/image...ome/page04.jpg

I also should have said that Altec changed to a regular foam surround during the 411 production as well the very first original 411's had the inverted cloth roll..Look at the Altec data sheet and they have already went to the foam surround.

http://www.greatplainsaudio.com/vint...spec_sheet.pdf
    OK, I got them. The cones are ribbed and they have the foam surrounds. They look real good. We played some music through them. The guy said they came out of a pair of Barcelonas. He tried to sell the 411s, 511Bs and 80X drivers as a set. I bought the woofers for $200.

Not sure if I will ever used them but they showed up at the right time.

HB Super Moderator

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

The guy was probably telling you the truth as the HF drivers also in the picture look like 808-8A Symbiotiks.I should have posted this photo as well which is in the Altec is Now catalog.The Altec employee is doping the surround it looks like with some kind of glue.On the original 411's.

Congrats on the 411's.. I liked the 411's, they have some massive magnets on them don't they ?

1original
    Last edited by Altec Best; March 6th, 2016 at 11:22 PM.

Senior Hostboard Member

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    36 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kwingylee View Post
    OK, I got them. The cones are ribbed and they have the foam surrounds. They look real good. We played some music through them. The guy said they came out of a pair of Barcelonas. He tried to sell the 411s, 511Bs and 80X drivers as a set. I bought the woofers for $200.

Not sure if I will ever used them but they showed up at the right time.
    should have gotten the 80whatevers also, if he let the 411s go for 200, you might have gotten them for 150. never can have enough hf drivers on hand.

and yeah AB i'm still trying to settle on the best setup for them. they have a wonderful sound. i just need to try a couple more box styles and hf pairing. i'm thinking MR994As with 800 or 900 series drivers.
    Sonic Barbarian

HB Super Moderator

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil-G View Post
    and yeah AB i'm still trying to settle on the best setup for them. they have a wonderful sound. i just need to try a couple more box styles and hf pairing.
    Altec recommends a 4.5 - 8 cubic foot sealed airtight enclosure for them... I would try that first.