Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Altec 604-8Gs and GPA N604-8A crossovers

Have the stock 604-8Ks and XOs, not satisfied with their performance compared to my extensively modified A7s cabs and XOs therefore will build new ones based on Jeff Markwart?s simplified 604H. Simplified 604-8H EQ Crossover
    Went about replacing all of the grotty stock XO wiring with 14g Teflon silver/copper wire, one resistor was replaced metal-film type, cap just before the HF driver is bypassed with a small value Sidereal. It was a time consuming PIA but achieved a substantial improvement in transparency and dynamics making all the work worthwhile.
    Gathering the components required, already have most of them, PIO and Teflon caps, Teflon silver plated wire, carbon film resistors, waiting on Solen Hepta-Litz inductors and inexpensive L-pads which should arrive late next week. Once the XOs are dialed in the L-pads will be replaced with fixed resistors.
    Added pair of pics of the 604 XOs post mods.
    Cheers
    Attached Images Attached Images

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mah View Post
    Question for members. "Why do proponents of 'burn-in' invaribly claim an improvement, after it has been done, no matter what is the object of their attention"?
    Ditto for drivers like Lowther that supposedly require 1000+ hrs of break-in; my response and subsequent banishment from an early audio BB was that by this time they were broke if they'd changed much, otherwise they would have designed them that way to begin with!

GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Well I dont know about electronic burn in but after a few days of listening I am burning in! The GPA crossovers are really good! Listening to some vinyl last night was sublime. Very happy with this purchase!

HB Super Moderator
    Altec 604-8Gs and GPA N604-8A crossovers

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SD-50 View Post
    Have the stock 604-8Ks and XOs, not satisfied with their performance compared to my extensively modified A7s cabs and XOs therefore will build new ones based on Jeff Markwart’s simplified 604H. Simplified 604-8H EQ Crossover
    Went about replacing all of the grotty stock XO wiring with 14g Teflon silver/copper wire, one resistor was replaced metal-film type, cap just before the HF driver is bypassed with a small value Sidereal. It was a time consuming PIA but achieved a substantial improvement in transparency and dynamics making all the work worthwhile.
    Gathering the components required, already have most of them, PIO and Teflon caps, Teflon silver plated wire, carbon film resistors, waiting on Solen Hepta-Litz inductors and inexpensive L-pads which should arrive late next week. Once the XOs are dialed in the L-pads will be replaced with fixed resistors.
    Added pair of pics of the 604 XOs post mods.
    Cheers

Those Callin caps in the XO pics are they still active or did you bypass them ? If they are still active they should be replaced. I can almost guarantee they are out of spec by now.Almost every Callins cap I had in my crossovers have all drifted from spec that I had measured..They don't last very long, after 20 years they should go into the trash.

The Callins are very easy to spot they say Callins on the side and they are black with red ends.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Terp View Post
    Well I dont know about electronic burn in but after a few days of listening I am burning in! The GPA crossovers are really good! Listening to some vinyl last night was sublime. Very happy with this purchase!
    I'm real glad to hear that you're happy with your GPA purchase .

AFAIK, you're the first person to report back after buying that particular network ( I thought the price was really a bit of a steal, IMHO ).

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Earl K View Post
    I'm real glad to hear that you're happy with your GPA purchase .

AFAIK, you're the first person to report back after buying that particular network ( I thought the price was really a bit of a steal, IMHO ).

Yeah I searched all over the internet prior to purchase trying to find anyone who had reviewed this crossover, especially used for Altec 604-8G. I had no luck. I think for $60 each already built they are a steal.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Altec Best View Post
    Those Callin caps in the XO pics are they still active or did you bypass them ? If they are still active they should be replaced. I can almost guarantee they are out of spec by now.Almost every Callins cap I had in my crossovers have all drifted from spec that I had measured..They don't last very long, after 20 years they should go into the trash.

The Callins are very easy to spot they say Callins on the side and they are black with red ends.
    Hello AB
    Not going to bother with replacing the stock caps at this point as I'm just about to built new XOs. Maybe at a later date will replace them just to hear what the mostly stock XOs sound like with new caps.
    Cheers

HB Super Moderator
    Altec 604-8Gs and GPA N604-8A crossovers

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SD-50 View Post
    Hello AB
    Not going to bother with replacing the stock caps at this point as I'm just about to built new XOs. Maybe at a later date will replace them just to hear what the mostly stock XOs sound like with new caps.
    Cheers
    Well if your building new crossovers then yeah I wouldn't bother, but they will still need to be replaced at some point if you plan on using them again.. I can almost guarantee a much better sounding speaker once they are replaced.

Good Luck on the new Crossovers.

Senior Hostboard Member juniper's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Its funny I have a pair of GPA x-overs and they weren't my cup of tea, I listened to them for about a half hour. In my space with 8 g's they sounded muffled and rolled off.

Senior Hostboard Member LowOhms's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mah View Post
    Don't believe it. It is one of many audiophile myths(beliefs) that are regularly passed around by uninformed or misled people.

A primer: Myths in Audio

Question for members. "Why do proponents of 'burn-in' invaribly claim an improvement, after it has been done, no matter what is the object of their attention"?

mah,

Depending upon dilelectic , a film cap takes anywheres from 10 hours to 200 hours to fully break in. Usually 100 hours is pretty much there, except for teflon. Sometimes, a film cap will reveal their true characteristics, after break in, as being unacceptable. All one needs is a high resolution system, and some listening on their own, to discern such things.

Have fun in your search for audio truth, and most of all, learn to trust your own ears.

Jeff Medwin

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast