Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Here'a couple of Altec cabinet auctions that intrigue me.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

Re: Here'a couple of Altec cabinet auctions that intrigue me

Quote Originally Posted by gdmoore28 View Post
    I'm just old and pessimistic, but it seems to me that a simple point source arrangement without the need of extensive "management" makes the most sense in the long run.

True in theory and having auditioned some of DSL's 'point source' horn systems, they deliver in 'spades', both in PA/prosound and HIFI/HT apps, though the latter ideally need 'softening' as they're set up to 'cut through' long distances, so much too shrill/'sharp' for some folks.

GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by VolvoHeretic View Post
    Thanks guys, that is pretty cool. Sure isn't much talk or information around about latter Altecs. I hope I find a few more churches converting to the better sound of Bose sometime.
    the rlds auditorium, in independence mo, did just that.

Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    True in theory and having auditioned some of DSL's 'point source' horn systems, they deliver in 'spades', both in PA/prosound and HIFI/HT apps, though the latter ideally need 'softening' as they're set up to 'cut through' long distances, so much too shrill/'sharp' for some folks.

GM
    not only, is the digital winter cold,

it has sharp edges ...
    Last edited by tomt; May 4th, 2016 at 01:39 AM.
    guns kill people,

like spoons made rush limbaugh,

fat ....

Junior Hostboard Member mikotondria's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Sorry to be late to the party here, but I ended up winning this auction, and managed to work out a deal with the guy and met him half way on a trip he was taking with the four A700 cabinets.

All four fit into my minivan with only an inch to spare, and a bit of a shove.

About to start in earnest refinishing the cabs, will strip them back and see what the birch is like. They've not been wet ever, it seems, but were flown, and there's some scarring due to that.
    Of course tracking down some 515s that won't cause marital strife is going to be an issue. And I'm on the route to getting a talented friend to fabricate some MR994A horn clones.
    What really appeals is the trapezoid shape, the horn coupling and vents that give an insane 107 or 108dB efficiency, and the somewhat ludicrous horn size, set back time-aligned to the
    excellent choice of driver. I think of them as the grandchildren of the A7, a cultural milestone to me; unseen workhorses that helped shape American culture through the medium of
    movies to millions of people over generations. I love seeing the unrestored ALTEC logo on the back by the terminals - the name means something to me, something special, something
    quintessentially American, from near-history. And I'm a first generation British import, too.

So, bear me in mind, if you would, when you're selling of your 515 G extras for very little money, for no good reason.
    I have in mind to fully and sympathetically restore one pair to factory condition, and maybe have some fun with the others, close up the HF space and drop in a new-fangled dual concentric full-range thing.
    Paint them in holographic paint and make them hover, or fly them from a tree in the backyard. I don't know.

Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mikotondria View Post
    Sorry to be late to the party here, but I ended up winning this auction, and managed to work out a deal with the guy and met him half way on a trip he was taking with the four A700 cabinets.
    Good, I'm glad someone got them. Where are you?

About to start in earnest refinishing the cabs, will strip them back and see what the birch is like.
    Are you sure they're plywood? I would tend to think they would be "Enviroboard" like my 9864 is..... it's basically OSB with a vinyl covering on it.
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hurrah.
    I am in SW Missouri, Springfield.
    The guy was coming across country and we worked out to meet about an hour east of Kansas City, at a desolate gas station.
    We lugged and shoved and as I said, they fit into the back of my van perfectlyish. If they'd been an inch larger in any direction,
    it wouldn't have worked.

Can confirm, they are 1/2" ply, but have 99% of the crispy textured 'tough' coating, Duratex-like stuff still on, which initial experiments seem to
    indicate will come off pretty easily. Original fibreglass dampning still in place, with overspray from the factory. I'll take that out and power wash
    the life out of them this week.

I was excited to read here that the board owner is/was friends with Jerry Hubbard, the actual designer of them. Wow
    Googling him lead me to the AES Convention speakers' list for 1988, at which was also one Tony Andrews, then of Turbosound,
    now of course, the silver-haired face and brain and Funktion One.
    I understated my excitement at this tedious connection to my wife, and was wise to do so.

Loving the info at this board !

Thanks

Michael

Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mikotondria View Post
    Can confirm, they are 1/2" ply, but have 99% of the crispy textured 'tough' coating, Duratex-like stuff still on, which initial experiments seem to
    indicate will come off pretty easily. Original fibreglass dampning still in place, with overspray from the factory. I'll take that out and power wash
    the life out of them this week.
    Only 1/2? I would have thought 3/4", but maybe the geometry helps with the rigidity.

Are they really so dirty that you need to powerwash them? I have gotten many things wet that most people would not, but I would be hesitant to powerwash a speaker cabinet that I cared anything about.
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Audio_by_Goodwill View Post
    Are they really so dirty that you need to powerwash them? I have gotten many things wet that most people would not, but I would be hesitant to powerwash a speaker cabinet that I cared anything about.
    You know, I think I might skip that. A brisk dry scrub could do

Senior Hostboard Member LowOhms's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hello Michael,

Near Springfield, MO, well....I'd like to meet you !!!

I live in Warrensburg, MO. Two months ago I bought the pair of ALTEC Model 19s that popped up on CraigsList very near you - in Republic, MO.

I run hybrid A7-800s, actually 825s loaded with 515Bs and 802Ds, and about 400 pounds of mass loading / concrete, on each enclosure.

My main audio interest is very focused - building THE best possible sounding power amp for ALTEC speakers.

I am always working actively on that. For the last ten years, its specifically been optimizing tube type, two stage, direct-coupled, single-ended amp topologies. What a trip its been !!

My email address is [email protected]. Please do email me, so we can exchange contact information, and get together for a listen, your place or mine, some fine day in the future.

If I were driving south, I have a cool audio-friend who resides in Brighton, MO I can also visit. Thanks.

Jeff Medwin
    Last edited by LowOhms; June 11th, 2017 at 01:49 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123