Thread: ALTEC 420A Frames - Useful As ????

Senior Hostboard Member LowOhms's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

ALTEC 420A Frames - Useful As ????

Hello,

A friend has given me a pair of ALTEC 420A drivers, which have NO usable cones in them.

I run VOTTs ( A7-800s ) at home, with 16 Ohm 515Bs and 802Ds.

Would these 420As be viable as a FRAME for GPA to re-magnetize and to recone? If so, what can it come close to be used for, in light of my sole interest in A7-VOTTs ?

I am NOT an ALTEC expert, but I bet many of you will know how to advise me.

Pretty drivers, white cast frames and a light gray back cover.

How to best put these to use? Ideas anyone?? T.I.A.

Low Ohms Jeff Medwin

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

Re: ALTEC 420A Frames - Useful As ????

Well, I know they have the same basic motor as the 803B/416A, so unless there's some differing detail[s] I'm not aware of [not an 'expert' on any/all the different design details of the various models, never even re-coned one], then assuming GPA can do a period correct re-cone, you'd have the theoretically technically second best woofer to the original 803 the A800 series horn cabs were designed for.

Whether or not you'd prefer its performance over the 515B though........... I just know I preferred the 416A's bass and the 515B's 'sweeter' mids/HF at the time I compared them, so chose the latter and just used more bass boost.

Sounded great with a tube amp, but horrible when I switched to SS in '70, which led me to learning about the radically different way each was accomplished. This fortuitously occurred during the time I learned about/auditioned Altec's upcoming bi-amped VoTT and 'super' [AKA 'sub'] woofers using a SS XO in a Popular Electronics article, so began my odyssey with multi-amped systems in general and preoccupation with 'sub' woofer systems in particular to this day.

GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.