Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

Altec 604- Best bang for the buck

I recently aquired a pair of empty model 17 (620) cabs. I have been looking on the 'bay at different 604 models. Please help me understand which is the best value for the performance. Please post any corrections to my notes. I posted this over at AK first but did not get many responses.

604-RWB
    Looks like the first gen. Paper surround. AlNiCo magnets. Too expensive for me

604-B
    Looks the same as above

604-C/D
    Same as above except they switched to cloth surrounds. This is the generation (or G model) I would like if I can find a deal

604-E-Red
    I have only seen a few of these and they look nice. Not sure what the difference is between the C/D version

604-G
    Type used in the model 17. I am assuming these would have been original equipment in my model 17 cabs

604-H
    Gpa version. Ferrite magnets. I would consider a pair of these if I could afford them. From the perspective of wanting a matching stereo pair, these would be "brand new"

604-LN
    I dont know what these are. AlNiCo magnets and new style frames

604-HPLN
    Same as above except the ads claim them to be high power. I am assuming these are similar to the 904 with heavier cones

604-X
    Ferrite magnets. These go for pretty cheap on ebay. Like 400 bucks each or less. They claim to be "studio monitors" and have the mantaray horn.

Newer, high power PA version of the 604. I really would not even consider this model unless they were very cheap.

Any insight would be great. I would like to know more about each model if possible. I would be willing to pay around a grand for a pair. Less would be great. I will be waiting for a deal to pop up. No full ebay prices for me.
    Also I would consider getting frames and having them reconed if that is my best finacial move.

Edit: after some further thought I realize whatever woofers I get will have to be a "front mount" frame. Thats how the 620 cabs are setup. I am not sure all of the 604's I listed have a front mount option. Especially the older ones. Thanks again

Senior Hostboard Member gdmoore28's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Altec 604- Best bang for the buck

Here's a nicely detailed timeline on 604-related speakers and their evolution. Hope it helps:

http://www.technicalaudio.com/pdf/Du...04/DUPLEX.html

GeeDeeEmm

Senior Hostboard Member Elitopus1's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

Wow cool link. Thanks for sharing that!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I think the best 604 for money is 604-H . I didn't try it or compare the sound of it to other 604s but I guess that from many reviews from many Altec enthusiasts who have lots of experiences. But it is rare in the market in Korea. I also wanted to try one but couldn't find a good pair.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I owned 604-8K's in 620 cabs and the GPA XO.

I currently own 19's, but I find myself thinking I enjoyed the 604's better in some aspects.

I am currently saving for some more, I am looking at getting GPA's 604 offering this time and not have to worry about shipping to and from to get the diaphragms and cones replaced/re magged, etc.....

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

Hmm, based solely on having messed with a few different old models and the measured specs of the GPA 3 series, best bang/buck [at least for someone living in the USA and assuming a competitively priced pristine pair of 601s aren't available] would be the 3 series due to its larger horn.

GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

Senior Hostboard Member magnarc's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The one you missed is the 604E, the standard white frame one. The 604E Red was a custom version, and can be thought of as an early 604-8G.

The 604E is the most common on the market (read eBay).

A good pair of 604Es, 8Gs or 8Hs will sell for about US$1500-1800. This is about the cost of a pair of the GPA series 3. Which I would get. That way you get new speakers, as opposed to 50 year old units, which may be in great condition, or may not be.

Edit
    Yes you need the 8G or later to front mount. I'd wager you can actually rear mount in that 620 cab, by reversing the t-nuts.
    You might get a pair of these that need both recones and new diaphragms, for US$1000 a pair, but be prepared to be outbid a lot. You then need to spend US$250 each to repair.

The one you will get for under that price, working, are 604-8Ks.

Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)

Yes you need the 8G or later to front mount. I'd wager you can actually rear mount in that 620 cab, by reversing the t-nuts.
    Not possible.

There are no removable panels on a properly built 620, and that's part of what makes them such a great box.
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

Senior Hostboard Member Elitopus1's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

Bowtie is correct on that, there are no removeable panels on these cabs. I guess the front mount only really limits what woofers I can put in. I am seriously considering the GPA 604. Would that hurt the overall value of the speakers versus having original 604g? The plan is to hold onto them for now but someday if they have to go to make room I would at least like to be able to get back the money invested.

Senior Hostboard Member gdmoore28's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Off subject, but I never see any discussion of the "lesser" coaxial Altec speakers, such as the 602D. I've never seen one first hand, nor heard one. How, exactly, do they function? Is there a hi frequency driver centered in the main driver magnet? What kind of diaphragm is used? Are repair parts available for them? Most importantly of all, how do they sound? Would they be of any use in a small room home system?

Just curious. This version of the coaxial design seems to be largely ignored, and I suspect there may be very good reasons why.

GeeDeeEmm

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast