Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

are the model 19's the ultimate

I have built a pair of Model 19's. Then I bi-amped them. Is there a better altec arrangement for home use? Opera and classical for this listener.
    thanks for any input.

Senior Hostboard Member gdmoore28's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: are the model 19's the ultimate

When you ask for a "better Altec arrangement for home use," are you referring to a different way to set up the Altec 19, or are you referring to another Altec speaker system altogether?

There are several ways to bring much better sound out of the Model 19. If that is what you are referring to, let us know.

GeeDeeEmm

Senior Hostboard Member les winter's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hi GD. I would certainly start with suggestions on improving the Model 19. Even a new enclosure would be interesting.
    thanks.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hi Les -
    Well, there are two lines of thought regarding the Model 19/other Altec, the majority of it centering on equalizing the horn response via 1) active eq, or 2) passive crossover eq. Big changes. Rather than opine on a lot of stuff that is actually my casual hobby and not a specialty, let the guys who know what they are talking about do the work:

Look at my new babies...Altec 846Bs w/EV Tweeters!!

http://wajonaudio.webs.com/Voice%20o...%20theatre.pdf

These two articles will give you the basics of the whole horn eq process and the many directions that branch off from there. With these two as basic starting points, you will find literally tons of reference material, so get ready.

Hope this helps.

GeeDeeEmm

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Les,
    As I begin the Model 19 build journey, i also have questions.
    When you say bi-amp , are you using a DSP based or other "electronic crossover"?
    If so, I'm not sure you are hearing the smoothest response the 811b can provide. If I understand correctly, most loudspeakers need a bit of massaging to their mechanical response to sound their best. I'm not sure an electronic crossover will get us there 100%.

During a previous build (GR Research LS9), I spoke to Danny the designer about bi-amping using an electronic crossover. He said there was a couple of circuits in the standard passive crossover that could not be duplicated electronically. Then tons of engineering techno babble went over my head. I should have taken notes.

Senior Hostboard Member juniper's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I have 19's, 8g's and H's, with some music they all out do each other. I would think the ultimate would be a modern build with altec components. I for one would love to hear dual 416's in a very large cabinet with 311's and some 288's...

Senior Hostboard Member les winter's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Nick D: I'm using a minidsp that does the crossover and EQ. The system measures the room via microphone and equalizes the system. Pretty effective.

- - - Updated - - -

Juniper: you read my mind. I was wondering about dual 416's starting with the 811b and then who knows. Because I use a pair of subwoofers, the bass extension is not much of an issue for me. So I'm looking for what's best above 50-75Hz. 416's side by side or one above and one below the 811b? I'm hoping someone chimes in and says they have done similar.

Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)

I spoke to Danny the designer about bi-amping using an electronic crossover. He said there was a couple of circuits in the standard passive crossover that could not be duplicated electronically.
    Danny sounds like a great salesman.

You do understand that a passive crossover network is 100% electronic, right?
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bowtie427ss View Post
    Danny sounds like a great salesman.
    Nah. Danny's just communicating in Electronics Jargon, Version "B." It's the version used when casually discussing blanket assertions rather than drawing a verbal circuit board. It's sort of akin to the different languages your surgeon uses with you, versus what he says to his transcriptionist. Version "A" is technically correct, but version "B" allows one to transfer basic information while still retaining the mantle of intellectual superiority.

GeeDeeEmm

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Bowtie,
    Forgive the gaff, my post should have been worded better. If I remember correctly, Danny and I were talking about active electronic (before amp) crossovers like Bryston and Audio Research. His design needed some phase manipulation and a trap in the woofer circuit to really perform optimally.

Since then, I had a friend program a DSP based crossover built into a set Digamoda amps for a tri-amped set of Don Keele's CBT arrays. The software was amazing in its flexibility. Shelving circuits, phase manipulation, contours, etc.

The current rig I use now (Lyngdorf) offers selectable high and low pass and slopes, but does the DSP correction automatically ("Room Perfect" software). Not sure what results I would get if I bi-amp with that.

I guess the point I was trying to make is that the average enthusiast might not have the flexibility built into the crossover and the measuring equipment to really get things dialed in.

My Lyngdorf can do amazing things to remove bumps and dips, but I am going to use passive crossovers between the 416 & 802 at this point to make sure I get the sound that the Altec team thought was good.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast