Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)

Re: are the model 19's the ultimate

I guess the point I was trying to make is that the average enthusiast might not have the flexibility built into the crossover and the measuring equipment to really get things dialed in.
    I agree wholeheartedly.

This is also a big reason that so many designers go to great lengths to refine passive networks as far as they do, it assures the end user of a performance standard above which his speaker system will always perform.

For the majority of users it is not practical to own the necessary equipment and/or software, or to gain and possess the knowledge necessary to do critical loudspeaker analysis.

Thankfully, technology has advanced to the point where the more serious enthusiast can now get his feet wet in active bi-amplification for hifi at a relatively "hobby" entry fee.

If money is not a large obstacle, take a look at some of the processing offered by Xillica, particularly the XD series.
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

Senior Hostboard Member
    are the model 19's the ultimate

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    36 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bowtie427ss View Post
    Thankfully, technology has advanced to the point where the more serious enthusiast can now get his feet wet in active bi-amplification for hifi at a relatively "hobby" entry fee.

If money is not a large obstacle, take a look at some of the processing offered by Xillica, particularly the XD series.
    i still havent tried out my DCX2496 if it does what it's supposed to i may have a couple of cx2300's available cheap.
    Sonic Barbarian

Senior Hostboard Member gvasale's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

"Juniper: you read my mind. I was wondering about dual 416's starting with the 811b and then who knows. Because I use a pair of subwoofers, the bass extension is not much of an issue for me. So I'm looking for what's best above 50-75Hz. 416's side by side or one above and one below the 811b? I'm hoping someone chimes in and says they have done similar."

Seems as if I'm the only one here to have taken the plunge. There are a few on this board who took notice some time (months & years ago) but many whether they don't want to make the cash outlay...I can't say.

I started this journey in 1968 and have been largely satisfied. Once you go here Flickr - Photo Sharing! you can poke around to see a couple more Altec photos.

I have been using a passive x-over from Auido magazine which some say won't work, but it apparently does. I also spent money on a Linkwitz(sp) Riley kit which remains untested. Same x-over, 500Hz, frequency.

More later.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

that looks like a M19 on steroids! I'm a bit confused by the 500hz crossover however. I thought that 500hz was the 511 horn crossover spec. I didn't think the 811 is optimized for that range?

Can some one bring me up to speed?

Senior Hostboard Member gvasale's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Yes, the 511 horn was spec'd in the enclosure plans, so it was done accordingly.

I chose that along with the logical reason that according to Don Davis the 500 Hz crossover was ideal because the largest proportion of acoustic power in orchestral music was below 500 Hz.

Somewhere in my old posts, I think that chart is there.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

gvasale, those speakers look impressive.

I was thinking of something similar the other day while listening to my 19's....

I have had my 19's for a year now, and have not been wowed by them like I was when I had my 604-8K's in 620 cabs with GPA XO's. I am not saying the 19's are a slouch, and I enjoy them quite a bit. I will add that my 19's are factory, and only the caps have been swapped. I know the person who did the work, but it seems like the caps ( all solens, if I recall when I pulled out the XO's last) would've broken in by now.

I'm going to take a look at the XO's again and resolder everything, and check the grounds. I remember recalling someone posting something about the grounds on the XO's and it helping with output. Then I 'll look into getting new diaphragms and recone/remagging and hope that brings them up to spec. Been thinking about using miniDSP as the XO, as I am curious about it and how it might/might not pair with the 19's

Looking for another pair of 604's and get them up in running and compare them directly with my 19's. I do not know what is, maybe it was the fact I pieced my 604 project piece by piece and sourced everything and it was a fun, hands on experience. But I find myself thinking how would my old 604's hold up to these 19's. SO , I am gonna find out.

Btw, my listening preferences are all over the map, and I use/used a variety of amp topologies......

Senior Hostboard Member LICORNE's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gdmoore28 View Post
    Hi Les -
    Well, there are two lines of thought regarding the Model 19/other Altec, the majority of it centering on equalizing the horn response via 1) active eq, or 2) passive crossover eq. Big changes. Rather than opine on a lot of stuff that is actually my casual hobby and not a specialty, let the guys who know what they are talking about do the work:

Look at my new babies...Altec 846Bs w/EV Tweeters!!

http://wajonaudio.webs.com/Voice%20o...%20theatre.pdf

These two articles will give you the basics of the whole horn eq process and the many directions that branch off from there. With these two as basic starting points, you will find literally tons of reference material, so get ready.

Hope this helps.

GeeDeeEmm
    I would go for analogue active XO.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by les winter View Post
    Even a new enclosure would be interesting.
    There's been numerous threads on how to tweak a cab, 811 individually or as a speaker system on several forums, so to get you started: https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=modifying+altec+m-19+

Personally, as well as a few others, prefer a bit bigger cab tuned lower for the [near] 'full-range' response required for symphonies with this one having the best documented build details IIRC:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/187508-altec-416b-mltl-design-gm.html

GM

Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

Senior Hostboard Member les winter's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Other than power handling, what's the benefit of two woofers side by side?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Two woofers in close proximity on the same baffle gives you 3-6 decibel increase in output. In effect it should mean a combined woofer efficiency somewhere around 102db at 1 watt @ 1 meter from around 50hz up to crossover point. Less resistance needed in the compression driver circuit so the crossover would have to be reworked I would think.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast