Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

HeathKit AS101 mods

I'm slowly making my way through all the post about my HeathKit speakers and the Altec Valencia speakers. I'm in no hurry to do anything yet, I'm really enjoying them as they are but eventually I do want to mod them.
    Before I picked up the HeathKit's I had already collected a few parts. I have a set of 511b horns, a set of 908b drivers with the Symbiotic diaphragms and a brand new set of the aluminum diaphragms I picked up from GPA along with new back covers with felts.
    From all the reading I have done it seems that rebuilding the 908 drivers into 902 drivers and using them would work best along with moving the crossover up to 1200Hz.
    To move the crossover up to the 1200Hz range I have several options. Altec made a few crossovers that crossed at that range, what model's would be recommended?
    Down the road I may play with bi-amping this set of speakers but for now, I'd like to keep it simple. If bi-amping is clearly a better solution I do have the amps, MC40 monoblocks and a Dennis Had SET amp for the horns. I also have a Rane AC22 in the pile.
    Thanks

BillWojo

Senior Hostboard Member Elitopus1's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

Re: HeathKit AS101 mods

There is a pair of N1285 crossovers on the bay right now. They can switch between 500/800/1200 cycles and also has the MF/HF shelving control. You could probably talk the seller down from the 200 dollar BIN.
    I personally like my crossovers around 800hz but others like 1200hz. I have some DiY speakers with 414-16b that I run to their natural rolloff at 8khz and then bring in the horn with a single cap. The 12" woofer definitely goes higher than the 15"

Senior Hostboard Member BillWojo's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

I made him an offer on those 1285-8b crossovers, waiting to see what he says. The outsides are a little rough and I guess they will need to be recapped. Does anyone have schematics for them? A quick look around the net brings up nothing.
    Thanks

BillWojo

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Good pics for working out the schematic:

Altec 1285-8B Crossovers

http://www.hostboard.com/forums/f700/180232-crossover-32b-horn-a8-speaker/index3.html?highlight=1285+8b
    Opinion is only as valid as its verifiable supporting evidence.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Well, he won't budge on the price and they are kind of rough looking. There was a clean one that had a problem with the high frequency not working. Looking at the links I see that there is only a few parts in there and it's not potted. I went to grab that one for 50 bucks and it sold.
    Oh well, it's not like I need to do anything, they sound pretty darn good as is. I'll just keep my eyes open, things are always popping up.

BillWojo

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

altec n1285 8b - Google Search

Bill,

I think the top left schematic may be the 1285. I can't get the thumbprint to open up.

At least the wiring traces can be checked against the photos in the above links.
    Opinion is only as valid as its verifiable supporting evidence.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Thanks mah, it sure looks like it. If you click on the picture it takes you to a Japanese web site. Seems they sure like our Altecs.

BillWojo