Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

Re: Pair of Urei 813 cabs with 604G

Quote Originally Posted by Old Guy View Post
    JBL owned Urei

These have 604 and Eminence woofer unless I am confused
    Correct, true they made the woofer, but I couldn't buy them from Eminence a couple of decades ago when I was helping a local from the old basslist make a semi-clone using his 604Es, so technically a JBL replacement part since that's where he had to get them.

Anyway, I thought Eminence made all their cone drivers back then along with Klipsch. For sure, Ray Wagner? or maybe it was Jerry McNutt? that gave me the info for several of these brand's [horn] driver's obsolete T/S specs.

GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

Senior Hostboard Member Elitopus1's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

Do the crossovers in the 813 cut bass on the 604 at a certain frequency and bring the eminence in? Or does the 604 play full range up to the horn xover point and the eminence helps out on the lowest frequencies?

For instance somthing like a 2.5 way

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Loving this thread. It's just like earlier times when Altec product was the prime subject of forum discussion, celebrating the high design, manufacture and application talents of the Altec employees, contractors and agents.

Opinion is only as valid as its verifiable supporting evidence.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

Dunno, the XO we used for the semi-clone was Doug Sax's Mastering Labs XO modded for the extra woofer in parallel.

GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

Senior Hostboard Member
    Pair of Urei 813 cabs with 604G

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    56 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    Correct, true they made the woofer, but I couldn't buy them from Eminence a couple of decades ago when I was helping a local from the old basslist make a semi-clone using his 604Es, so technically a JBL replacement part since that's where he had to get them.

Anyway, I thought Eminence made all their cone drivers back then along with Klipsch. For sure, Ray Wagner? or maybe it was Jerry McNutt? that gave me the info for several of these brand's [horn] driver's obsolete T/S specs.

GM
    Jerry is a top flite guy.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Elitopus1 View Post
    I remember now that at one time you mentioned to keep an eye out for those Pas drivers. They must not come up too often. I have had a saved search on eBay for Pas and Urei and I hardly ever see any woofers. There are a couple pair of Urei 804 on their right now but they are the later ones with tangerine phase plugs. If I could just find a mate for my annular slit metal phase plug Urei 604G!
    Single UREI 804 8g Duplex Coaxial Speaker 15" Woofer for 813 Cabinet | eBay
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Old Guy View Post
    Unfortunately that one has the tangerine PP

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

What are the visual tell-tales that indicate the type of phase plug on these speakers as PPs usually don't show in pics?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mah View Post
    What are the visual tell-tales that indicate the type of phase plug on these speakers as PPs usually don't show in pics?
    I already asked the seller

From my experience if the woofer magnet cover has a lip around the edge ,like a 515b, it has the metal phase plug. If it has a smooth cover ,like the 515c, it has the tangerine. I am sure since this is Altec there are exceptions though

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Thanks.

Senior Hostboard Member speakerdave's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Elitopus1 View Post
    . . . . How is it that 604G go for big bucks but the Urei 604G are not worth that much? . . . .
    I always look at 811A, 813A, and 815A UREI monitor postings because I listened to 604-8G's for some years and sometimes think of working up some speakers using them. But I agree that there is a theoretical gap between the realistic possibilities of that 15" cone and that horn, a gap that has been bridged by crossover circuital legerdemain of various stripe and psychoacoustics. I have a pair of ManleyLabs ML10's which are shudders for imaging at near field monitor range. The thought of the same effect on a larger scale feeds this particular neurosis.

My observation is that the highest resale values of 604's (and 515's) are supported by the presence of original cones. Based on my reading of many UREI monitor postings, I'd say the general rule has been the presence of recones. I, and maybe many other potential bidders, believe there are correct cones when photos of the correct numbers are part of the auction post, and narratives about correct reconing are otherwise deeply discounted.

It could be that some recones are as good as the originals, but who is to say? I've never seen any published testing results or T/S parameters, and anectodal testimony is decidedly mixed.

I think there are two versions of the UREI horn, an early one I recall as plain metal and doesn't seem to be much bigger then the Altec 8G horn, and a later, larger one which I've never handled, but i think is plastic, has been perforated for resonance control and has a foam edge to reduce diffraction and terminal reflection. Not sure if that was ever mounted on a 604. Anybody know?

Has anyone tried Yuichi's A-800? It looks significantly bigger. I could make some, but the thought of tearing into a valuable antique driver on speculation leaves me hesitant. So, I'd like to find a pair of UREI 604-8G's with original cones. I have a pair of 828 crossovers waiting to be put into service.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast