Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

Re: New Altec lover

Quote Originally Posted by bowtie427ss View Post
    I wouldn't sell those D130's until you hear them against 416's.

IMNSHO&E, i prefer 416 in a large bass reflex box, period. My VOT's are loaded with JBL's and it had nothing to do with convenience.
    Just curious what JBL woofers do you run?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Elitopus1 View Post
    They came with jbl d130's. I plugged them in briefly but didn't really test them because I need another diaphragm for one of the 808's . But I'm looking at a couple others, a broken pair of 416-8z and a beautiful pair of 416-8a. But I will try with the jbl first.

Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)

2035's uber light cones, 3 inch voice coils, copper shorting rings in the poles. They have a sonic signature similar to the new GPA 416C, cost less, and handle more power. Most important to me is their nearly ruler flat impedance across their usable BW. Of course every time i post openly about them the price goes up and the supply shrinks, imagine that.

because I need another diaphragm for one of the 808's
    808's were originally equipped with symbiotik diaphragms, for hifi apps they need to be replaced with the proper tangential aluminum surround diaphragms. If you are still using a symbiotik phragm in one of the 808's it's not going to sound the same or have the HF extension of the driver with a new GPA phragm in it.

Anyone use the plugs for the a7's? They have the xover wired to the plug
    I assume you are talking about the 1/4 inch phone plugs. They are not a proper termination for a hifi speaker cable, period.

IMO, any low pressure contact is unacceptable for low impedance audio(speaker) wiring. I prefer binding posts or screw terminals that can be tightened down to provide a "gas tight" contact area that will not degrade over time from oxidation which effectively creates a resistive bottleneck. Banana plugs are for test equipment, you won't find them used for anything else in my stable.
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

2035's uber light cones, 3 inch voice coils, copper shorting rings in the poles. They have a sonic signature similar to the new GPA 416C, cost less, and handle more power. Most important to me is their nearly ruler flat impedance across their usable BW. Of course every time i post openly about them the price goes up and the supply shrinks, imagine that.

808's were originally equipped with symbiotik diaphragms, for hifi apps they need to be replaced with the proper tangential aluminum surround diaphragms. If you are still using a symbiotik phragm in one of the 808's it's not going to sound the same or have the HF extension of the driver with a new GPA phragm in it.

I assume you are talking about the 1/4 inch phone plugs. They are not a proper termination for a hifi speaker cable, period.

IMO, any low pressure contact is unacceptable for low impedance audio(speaker) wiring. I prefer binding posts or screw terminals that can be tightened down to provide a "gas tight" contact area that will not degrade over time from oxidation which effectively creates a resistive bottleneck. Banana plugs are for test equipment, you won't find them used for anything else in my stable.
    Thank you that is great info. I just looked up the 2035. Price is great, I can get a lot more for my d130's.
    I'm not that smart with diaphragms but I put up a pic of the broken one. At $90 each I hope I don't need another one .
    The wire I was talking about is a 14gauge 2 wire stranded power cord type. I put up a pic of that too, I ask because I have alot of nice PC type cords around I can use for this. But I'm guessing your saying solid core wire is better? I added a pic of that as well.
    Thanks again
    Attached Images Attached Images

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)

That's definitely an original symbiotik diaphragm. Ideally, for good reproduction with HF extension you want to replace those with a diaphragm that looks like the one on the right:

forums

Symbiotic diaphragms are NLA, GPA offers 2 8 ohm alternatives, standard aluminum, or pascalite which is a hardened aluminum alloy and offers higher power handling at the cost of an arguably tiny bit of extension.

You will also need to order wiring kits with replacement diaphragms. Altec diaphragms made after about 1979 have 1/4 inch push on terminals rather than screw type.

The "plugs" are something someone has added along the way. Not sure exactly what kind of connector it is. But, IMO you would be better served by simpler, more conventional binding posts, or barrier type screw terminals. They offer secure, gas tight connection with spade terminals or even bare wire ends.

Exercise care when shopping JBL 2035's in the used market. They don't have the power handling that other JBL woofers have and many in the used market place have been abused. Original recone kits are NLA leaving a fella SOL if he encounters a damaged 2035. I bought a dozen well over a decade ago at a JBL "tent sale".
    Last edited by bowtie427ss; October 17th, 2016 at 10:10 AM.

Senior Hostboard Member Elitopus1's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

You are referring to the 2035HPL correct? They are supposed to be a lower power version of the 2226? There are some sweet deals on the bay.

Senior Hostboard Member
    New Altec lover

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    36 Post(s)

Of course every time i post openly about them the price goes up and the supply shrinks, imagine that.
    well cut it out
    Sonic Barbarian

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for the info!! I really appreciate it. I'm off to the mountains and no service for a week. All my projects are on hold. When I get back I will research everything .
    Thanks again

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Elitopus1 View Post
    You are referring to the 2035HPL correct? They are supposed to be a lower power version of the 2226? There are some sweet deals on the bay.
    Yes. H - 8ohm.

PL simply means "plain label". Unpainted mags, even the baskets on some, no cover, no foilcal just a white label.

Make sure they are not "B" stock, or if they are get disclosure on the defect/s.

Junior Hostboard Member wweigle's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

You should definitely try the D130s in the A7 cabinets. I have run a set in heavily braced 825 cabinets with the horn section closed off, crossed at about 900hz, and think they are excellent. I think what stands out is their ability to reproduce percussion with such clarity. My guess this is due to the rolled paper surround, which makes the lightweight cone pretty stiff. I run mine with subs crossed at about 80hz. I also have a set of 604es that I am currently running in my 825 cabinets utilizing only the woofer as a test to see how I might like the sound of the 515b. Im also running these with the subs. I am trying to determine what I prefer between the two. Not sure if the 604e horn is acting as a phase plug, but have to assume they sound similar to the 515b. At this point I'm leaning towards the D130s. Clearly the 604e woofers are better balanced, but I seem to prefer the D130s with the subs. I would love to get my hands on a set of Altec 803a with the similar rolled paper surround design as the D130. Good luck, keep us posted, interested in you opinion on how they compare.