Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: GM-416-8B MLTL Corner Cabinet

Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    Yeah, this went way beyond the initial design and I got to the point where I couldn't keep up plus there seems to be areas of the drawings that don't seem to jive with some of my thoughts on how to make this cab a triple conversion, especially when you wanted to start shifting things in the vertical plane where I made sure the two horn setups would fit and now supposedly don't if I understand some earlier Qs, so something's amiss and why I need proper drawings of each before commenting further.

The HF driver support can be a 90 deg 'V' slot cradle in a 1x4 hardwood board where the 'V' depth is the driver radius and the woofer can be two of these clamping the woofer [one above, one below] with a scrap piece of plywood or hardwood to make a rear plate to be able to preload the woofer[s] against the baffle as well as provide a bit of extra brace support across the 'V' notch on the bottom board.

I've never used 2" on large cabs, just 1" and never felt the need to add more except to the top plate on occasion, so using it elsewhere may be overkill, especially across the curved back.

GM
    Hello GM,

Thank you.

Yes, there were many variations of the diagrams were created. Final selected diagram was almost close to your original specification with minimal changes – still this change can be avoided. Please see the comparison between the original spec given by you and the actual spec,

Original GM Spec
    H- 58.5, W - 38.5, and Four Sided - Sides 1&5 = 9-3/4" and Sides 2&4 = 25-7/16"
    Internal Center Depth = 27-3/4"
    Horn down - 4-3/4"
    Driver Down - 22"
    Horn-Driver CTC - 17.1/4"
    Vent - Removable baffle for [1]5" upto [1]9" dia.vent hold/side
    Total Volume - 25.25 ft^3; 24 ft^3 net MLTL

Current Spec
    H- 58.5, W - 38.5, and Six Sided - Sides 1&6 = 14-11/16" and Sides 2,3,4&5 = 11-15/16"
    Internal Center Depth = 25-1/2"
    Horn down - 5-1/2" - (to gain 3/4" for inside board around the horn, this can be avoided if it is too bad)
    Driver Down - 22-3/4" (or 22" if I avoid the 3/4" inside board around the horn)
    Horn-Driver CTC - 17.1/4"
    Vent - Removable baffle for [1]5" upto [1]9" dia.vent hold/side
    Total Volume - Single Woofer - 26.14 ft^3; Dual Woofer - 23.7 ft^3 net MLTL

I hope these cabs can be good with the few changes pointed here. Please let me know if you think otherwise.

For my understanding,
    Two Horn Setups - When you say two horn setups, does this mean using this cabinet for Single woofer (416/811B/802D) and Dual Woofer (416/511B/802D), then yes current cabinet inside depth can fit both. And, I will be building two sets of front baffle(s) for this need.
    Triple Conversion – When you say triple conversion – does this mean using three configuration? Single, Dual Woofers of 416 and 604? Then Yes, I am planning to use the cabinet for all three configuration and I assume I can build a front baffle to accommodate 604.

Please correct me if I am wrong here.

Couple more questions, in the dual woofer configuration,
    - I assume the CTC is 17-1/4" between 511B and 416, am I right?
    - What would be the distance between two woofers?

James has all the original drawings – he is the creator of these drawings. I was hoping to get the actual drawing file uncompressed but couldn’t connect with him. Hope all is well with him and his family. I haven’t seen him in this forum for some time. Otherwise, I am attaching couple of old diagrams for reference,

90 degree V slot cradle is doable by me, I can work on that and I will go with 1” insulation.

Thank you,
    Sri
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by srivenkat; March 25th, 2017 at 09:44 PM.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Finally, I have completed the cabinets and installed the drivers with three different configurations!

Extraordinary set of speakers, amazing mid clarity, clear high, naturally flowing effortless bass and great lifelike imaging - unbelievably good.

GM's design brought the Altec Magic!! This is it!

BIG THANKS to GM and James (VolvoHeretic) for this project! This wouldn?t be possible without their help.

Here are the details on what I tried so far,

Amplifiers: Jeff Korneff 45 SE & Jeff Korneff 45 SE-Integrated
    Preamplifiers: Cary SLP-98P
    DAC: Monarchy Audio 18B and NM 24
    CDP: Oppo BDP-83

Single Woofer:
    - Drivers : GPA 416-8B/811B/802-8G
    - Crossover: GPA N1200-8A

Single Woofer:
    - Drivers : GPA 604-8H III
    - Crossover: Selah Audio Custom Crossover

Dual Woofers:
    - Drivers : GPA 416-8B ? Dual / 511B/ 802-8G
    - Crossover: Werner Jagusch?s Autoformer based Crossover ? crossed at 800Hz
    - Note: I tried this only in mono configuration since I have only a pair of 416 drivers. Eventually I would try 2 pairs.

Attaching few pictures.

Thanks to Lance (Westend), John (Altec Best) for their support and inputs.

GM, Thanks for designing this cabinet, helping me during this project, answering all my questions patiently and guiding me. No words to express my thanks.

James, Hope things are going well, I haven?t heard from you. Again BIG THANKS for helping me in every step, I couldn?t have done this cabinet without your CAD drawings. You are just awesome!

Thank you all for sharing your input and helping me here. Please feel free to reach out to me for any questions.

-Sri
    Attached Images Attached Images

Senior Hostboard Member juniper's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

That is just AWESOME!!! Cant wait to see how you finally decide to set up your system in your space, good Luck!!!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by juniper View Post
    That is just AWESOME!!! Cant wait to see how you finally decide to set up your system in your space, good Luck!!!
    Thank you! I will post a picture when I clean up the room and put everything in order.

-Sri