Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Dad's old WE 754a's and Altec 755a's

Here's a picture of my label that shows the color.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)

Most desirable......................................... .. form your own opinion as opposed to internet lore. The last Altec branded, WE built pair on ebay brought 5 grand.

The pair Phil posted are later versions, actually built in house by Altec people. They are the most common 755A.

Green on a 755 is MUCH later than the "A" versions.

As Joe and i pointed out in the other thread, Scott's(the OP) are the earliest Altec versions of 755A, likely the most desirable versions that actually say "Altec" on them. They were manufactured by Western Electric and badged Altec under the new agreement between the corporations.

Western Electric built 755A have 6 welds securing the magnetic return pot to the front plate, Altec built units skip every other weld and have only 3.

This is a pretty good 755A page: Junkyard Jukebox: WE/Altec 755A: You pays your money and takes your choice
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

Junior Hostboard Member Talbot78sc's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for the info bowtie.

I finally got around to putting an ohm meter on the connectors of the speakers.
    They measure 2.7-2.9 ohms or there abouts.
    Are those acceptable numbers?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

Hmm, this is typical for a nominal 4 ohm driver, whereas the 755A is 8 ohm [published] with a ~6 ohm DCR IME.

GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Okay ( adding to the knowledge base ),

In support of Bowtie's info, here's an ancient compendium ( sourced from WMeckle's site ) that strongly supports Bowtie's dcr assertions ( as to who manufactured what, as well as when ).

( OPEN the pic in a NEW Window to see actual size );

The author of this ( partial list ) was very fastidious in his information collection .

I highly doubt that he would mix-up the Altec label for one reading Western Electric.

The authors own labelling shows he knows the difference between an Altec & a Western Electric transducer.

IOW, it appears to me that he knew that the Altec labelled 755A ( as documented here ) was made by W.E. ( and simply rebranded by Altec )

2.8 ohms? That's a bit low IME ( but it's still ballpark > with most eBay examples coming in as low 3's )

Still, I don't see those numbers ( @ 2.8R ) as implying a short-circuit within either voice-coil.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Is there any place out here in the LA area that could test these or should I just hook 'em up and give 'em a try on my home system?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

It appears that you're not aware of the following info ( about your 2 speakers ).

Click the pic!

( Build some sealed enclosures of the recommended sizes, if you get bored with the sound you can then sell the drivers for big bucks on eBay ).

Senior Hostboard Member
    Dad's old WE 754a's and Altec 755a's

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    36 Post(s)

just for grins I'm calling graybar Monday and see if can order some.
    Sonic Barbarian

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Earl - Thanks for that link to the cab sizes. My 'problem' is that I've got 4 of these speakers and building cabinets for all of them is just not going to happen. We just don't have the room for that to happen. I have a pretty good idea of what these will sound like since I had some speakers in the garage that were Altecs and I didn't even know it. I posted a pic of which ones they were but it might have been on another forum.
    I'd like to ask you to read through this whole thread if you haven't already, to see what I'm dealing with here.
    I know it's a 'good' problem to have and one that many of you would relish.
    I just wish I didn't have tinnitus as that has taken a lot of pleasure out of listening to music as it really aggravates it.

Maybe I should run a Black Monday ad here on Monday and see what kind of response I get.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Earl K View Post
    IOW, it appears to me that he knew that the Altec labelled 755A ( as documented here ) was made by W.E. ( and simply rebranded by Altec )

2.8 ohms? That's a bit low IME ( but it's still ballpark > with most eBay examples coming in as low 3's )
    Yeah, guess I had a 'senior moment' as the 8 ohm was strictly an Altec whereas the W.E./Altec were 4 ohms, so 2.8 ohms is good since WE's 4 ohms was measured in a 2ft^3 sealed cab IIRC. Guessing the higher 3+ ohms is due to extreme age/usage.

GM

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Talbot78sc View Post
    I just wish I didn't have tinnitus as that has taken a lot of pleasure out of listening to music as it really aggravates it.
    Yeah, got the same problem, but the 754, early 755A are quite benign and the main reason they're so coveted, at least when used regularly, though can't recall ever auditioning any that had been stored for decades, just either new Altecs or W.E. units pulled from old buildings, etc., so been used at least five days/week for decades. I've had several pairs of 755s back when they were basically giveaways, using them to build cheap speakers for others.

For sure, if I could afford the going rate, I'd own some to make bodacious three way tower speakers.

GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast