Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: China made multi-cell horn(1803B)

Senior Hostboard Member Elitopus1's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

Re: China made multi-cell horn(1803B)

And there is the also the ebay guy in Europe who makes the wood or ceramic multicells for very decent prices. I have been considering a pair of 805's from him

Senior Hostboard Member Steve Schell's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The best workmanship I have seen where multicellular cell throats join together is on the earliest Lansing horns circa 1936-37. The cell throats were soldered together then hand filed to meticulous knife edges. Most tar filled Altec multis are also pretty good.

I was able to inspect some Fletcher System horns years ago, the world's first multicellular horns built at Bell Labs in 1932, and the throat junctions were kinda rough!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy DIY View Post
    The producer reply: The 1803B US$ 3130, Shipping fee to New York around US$ 870, please let me know if you are interesting in it?
    No, this is about what a pair of originals were going for last I checked, with some even including drivers! Thanks anyway. They really do need to fine finish the horn throats to a knife edge though if best HF reproduction is required.

GM

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schell View Post
    ....the world's first multicellular horns built at Bell Labs in 1932, and the throat junctions were kinda rough!
    IIRC, they only had to pass ~5 kHz ~flat, so probably good enough, but by what? 1939? it was more like 9 kHz through a screen for Gone with the Wind, so would definitely need to be knife edge tapered like the later ones I've seen.

GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123