Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Years of production of Altec drivers?

Senior Hostboard Member gdmoore28's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Years of production of Altec drivers?

Quote Originally Posted by bowtie427ss View Post
    30767 = 416-8z Look at the 4 possible woofer loads for the 846U here: http://www.lansingheritage.org/image...ers/page06.jpg

"Z" models were typically factory installed components in assembled speaker systems.

AFAIK, the "Z" version simply omits the can style motor cover.

Spot on!
    Once again, Tom, you've blown me away with your knowledge of all things "Altec!" I can't tell you how much I've learned from you.

Tell me one more thing: I've always assumed that the "A" designation referred to the original 15" woofers, and that the "B" designation referred to all the 16" iterations. Am I wrong on this?

GeedeeEmm
    Last edited by gdmoore28; January 9th, 2017 at 08:04 PM.

Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)

Re: Years of production of Altec drivers?

With the "A" it makes a difference if it's hyphenated with a number in front of it.

Example: A 416A should always be a green 16 ohm woofer in the 15 inch frame. A 416-8A came nearly a decade later and AFAIK, will always come in a black/charcoal frame, BUT, can be in either the 15 or 16 inch frame.

Special orders, hot jobs, and end runs could always produce exceptions without documentation. I think Old Guy and myself have both encountered internet pics of 416-8A's in white frames with gray magnet covers at one time. One thing Altec has taught me is to never make blanket assumptions o claims.

The 416-8B/416-16B is the final iteration of alnico motors in the 416 woofer. It was introduced late in 1974. It's motor represented a major design change in that the magnetic return structure is a one piece, machined, steel casting, whereas all prior 416's used a magnetic return structure made from pipe and rolled steel plate, welded together. There is no cover on a "B" motor, what you see is the return pot itself. As far as i know, 416-8B/416-16B is the only alnico 416 that came exclusively in the large 16 inch frame. This would also be the same time period that the 802/808 drivers would change from welded pipe and plate construction to one piece steel castings. The model Nineteen loudspeaker would be designed around the newly revised 416-8B woofer and 802-8G driver.

Last edited by bowtie427ss; January 9th, 2017 at 10:15 PM.
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12