0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question Altec 417h 8 ohms identification

Hi,

i'm going to buy a 417h speaker but i'm not sure about it :

. The serial is : 50 03 0333 10
    . There are no label at all and i think the back was unscrewed of it
    . Im' pretty sure it was reconned (the glue is...yellow !). Not a bad thing but how to know if it was correctly reconned or not...
    . The price is at 150 euros, sound correct for me even if the cone was broken in small aera (but fixed)

What's your opinion ? It is a genuine 417H or could be another one ? It is a good opportunity ?

you can find the pictures here : john.fender.free.fr/Export/AF/Altec417H/

Thanks !

Senior Hostboard Member gdmoore28's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Altec 417h 8 ohms identification

That converts to $158 (US), and that's approximately what they sell for here in perfect condition. 417s with defects such as the one you are considering sell here for about $70. But those are plentiful here, maybe not in Europe. You will need to be the judge of it's worth.

The cone looks original to me. The reason the glue looks yellow is because of age. It simply turned that color over time. This speaker never had a cover over the magnet. The number is a part number.

You are aware that the 417 is classified as a guitar amplifier speaker, right? If that's how you will be using it, that would be fine. But it's not good for home stereo use.

GeeDeeEmm

Junior Hostboard Member johnfender's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Altec 417h 8 ohms identification

I agree, it's maybe a bit expansive even here in europe. I think i will wait for another offer.Thanks a lot !

Quote Originally Posted by gdmoore28 View Post
    That converts to $158 (US), and that's approximately what they sell for here in perfect condition. 417s with defects such as the one you are considering sell here for about $70. But those are plentiful here, maybe not in Europe. You will need to be the judge of it's worth.

The cone looks original to me. The reason the glue looks yellow is because of age. It simply turned that color over time. This speaker never had a cover over the magnet. The number is a part number.

You are aware that the 417 is classified as a guitar amplifier speaker, right? If that's how you will be using it, that would be fine. But it's not good for home stereo use.

GeeDeeEmm