Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

OT: Russian bypass caps

After seeing a few different posts about these I am curious about 3 in particular. The Russian FT-3, K10-75, and K12-75. They are listed from most to least expensive, with the K12-75 being less than a buck each.

So who has experience with all these and which would you recommend for a bypass cap? In a .1uf or .22uf size.

Thanks

Senior Hostboard Member LowOhms's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: OT: Russian bypass caps

Quote Originally Posted by Elitopus1 View Post
    After seeing a few different posts about these I am curious about 3 in particular. The Russian FT-3, K10-75, and K12-75. They are listed from most to least expensive, with the K12-75 being less than a buck each.

So who has experience with all these and which would you recommend for a bypass cap? In a .1uf or .22uf size.

Thanks
    Hi.

A K75-10 has fantastic dynamic contrasting capabilities, in the middle-midrange, at the expense of being a little disturbingly dark-sounding.

It would be more suitable in larger values, I have used them as a 0.68 uF bypass, but, a 0.22 uF bypass may not be too small, depending upon your system. I don't think they are best used below 0.22 uF, in real small uF Values, versus other choices.

Now-a-days, after experimenting with Russkies, I use modern German-built industrial film caps for all my main capacitors, and for bypassing, as the technology employed today is state of the art, goes well beyond old Russian eBay choices, in my experience. Industrially priced, not audiophile priced. Out-does audiophile caps largely.

Have fun .

Jeff Medwin
    Last edited by LowOhms; February 2nd, 2017 at 05:21 PM.

Senior Hostboard Member Elitopus1's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LowOhms View Post
    Hi.

A K75-10 has fantastic dynamic contrasting capabilities, in the middle-midrange, at the expense of being a little disturbingly dark-sounding.

It would be more suitable in larger values, I have used them as a 0.68 uF bypass, but, a 0.22 uF bypass may not be too small, depending upon your system. I don't think they are best used below 0.22 uF, in real small uF Values, versus other choices.

Now-a-days, after experimenting with Russkies, I use modern German-built industrial film caps for all my main capacitors, and for bypassing, as the technology employed today is state of the art, goes well beyond old Russian eBay choices, in my experience. Industrially priced, not audiophile priced. Out-does audiophile caps largely.

Have fun .

Jeff Medwin
    So what would you recommend for a more modern cap? I am open to options as long as they are not too expensive. I can get K12-75 for 70 cents each or K10-75 for 2.30$ each. The FT-3 I was orginally looking at are around 5 bucks each if I buy a bunch

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I got a handful of Russian caps from an audio buddy and was so impressed with the increase in transperancy and dynamics bought more .22 caps from PartsConnexion to bypass all the main PIO caps in both my A7s and 604Ks XOs, no going back to Solen caps. My brother bought enough .22 for his Dynaudios and was blown away by the audio gains.
    Ordered more last week for future projects.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SD-50 View Post
    I got a handful of Russian caps from an audio buddy and was so impressed with the increase in transperancy and dynamics bought more .22 caps from PartsConnexion to bypass all the main PIO caps in both my A7s and 604Ks XOs, no going back to Solen caps. My brother bought enough .22 for his Dynaudios and was blown away by the audio gains.
    Ordered more last week for future projects.
    Very cool. I am wanting to try bypass caps on my A7's and 604g's. Probably on the 604's first.

So do you recommend the FT-3's you have on your Markwarts xovers or are there other Russian caps you use?

Senior Hostboard Member BillWojo's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

I wonder if the K42Y-2 caps I bought at 0.1uF will be large enough. Oh well, I'll give them a try when they get here. Anybody have any thoughts on cap sizes for bypassing on crossovers?

BillWojo

Senior Hostboard Member rogerh113's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

What do you use to mount the rectangular Russian PIO caps? Never seen a mounting bracket what will work. I am planning on mounting them on a 1/4 inch plywood board. I have seen tie-wraps through holes in the board, but that does not seem ideal. Is there some removable mounting goo that work well? I have heard Blutack mentioned, but advice from someone that has successfully used a particular product or method would be helpful.

regards -- Roger

Senior Hostboard Member BillWojo's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Roger, that's a good question. I have a collection of rectangular oil filled caps of all different sizes that I'm going to try out in my Model 19 crossovers. Most of the values will have to be made up by combining at least two of them in parallel, so two different size packages to make one cap value. I might just wire tie them together and put them in a box for now sitting next to the crossover.
    My crossovers are going to be very nice and neat, a visual treat it you like that sort of thing. Not sure about a "box of caps" though. Of course If I don't like the sound of them, than it's no problem. But if I do like them, I have to come up with a game plan.

BillWojo

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

I drilled holes in my xover board (piece of plywood) and zip tied my caps to it. I plan on using some nicer, finished boards once I get things sorted out. For now the caps are secure enough not to fall off the board if I move it.

I also did some researching on how to mount these caps. A google search comes up with some interesting ideas. If you google "Markwart crossover", and then look at images, there are a few ideas. If it wasn't such a pain to post pictures here I would put some up. Photobucket is too damn slow

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

I bought some K75-10 and K75-12 last night. The K75-10 are .33uf 750v. The K75-12 are .22uf 1000v. It will probably take a month or so to get them from Russia

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast