Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: OT: Russian bypass caps

Quote Originally Posted by Elitopus1 View Post
    So what would you recommend for a more modern cap? I am open to options as long as they are not too expensive. I can get K12-75 for 70 cents each or K10-75 for 2.30$ each. The FT-3 I was orginally looking at are around 5 bucks each if I buy a bunch

Welcome to 2017 !! You will have a HARD time, cost and performance wise, beating WIMA ( Germany ) caps. These are industrially priced, not audiophile priced. As a main film cap, in tube power supplies, I LOVE the WIMA DC LINK MKP4 series, preferably the ones with four leads, over the two lead ones.....four is audibly better.

To bypass the WIMA DC LINK< I would try the WIMA FKP1 caps, in small values. I usually will use MULTIPLE and progressively smaller values, down to 0.01 uF in my bypassing, usually start at 0.68 .

Since you and I have totally different wiring and amplification, I will let you decide what values to use, but frankly, it will be a hard-go, with out optimizing the amplification and the wiring. EXPERIMENT freely, with the German brands I have given you herein. Trust my suggestion Don, but use YOUR ears. Have FUN !!

BTW, NO CAP I HAVE EVER HEARD, equals the expensive DynamiCap 4.0 and 10.0 E caps, with modded lead outs. I HAVE / USE the 4.0 Es across every spot on my ALTEC A7-800 crossover, and I would NOT listen to ALTEC speakers without them in place, for one millisecond of my life..

Jeff LowOhms

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Very cool. I am wanting to try bypass caps on my A7's and 604g's. Probably on the 604's first.

So do you recommend the FT-3's you have on your Markwarts xovers or are there other Russian caps you use?
    Two different setups, the mancave with the A7s has an acoustically treated wall behind my chair, the bedroom has none beyond what my futon offers. The A7s have .22 and .68 on all the caps, the 604s have .68 on two caps of the four caps. Also they have different drivers, 802/515, 808/416, can't make a direct comparison, although the response of both setups has been greatly improved by the addition of the Russian Teflon caps.
    PS Also wanted to add that the caps are a fantastic value for what they do, better caps out there but it will really cost you to surpass these caps.

Senior Hostboard Member Elitopus1's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LowOhms View Post
    Welcome to 2017 !! You will have a HARD time, cost and performance wise, beating WIMA ( Germany ) caps. These are industrially priced, not audiophile priced. As a main film cap, in tube power supplies, I LOVE the WIMA DC LINK MKP4 series, preferably the ones with four leads, over the two lead ones.....four is audibly better.

To bypass the WIMA DC LINK< I would try the WIMA FKP1 caps, in small values. I usually will use MULTIPLE and progressively smaller values, down to 0.01 uF in my bypassing, usually start at 0.68 .

Since you and I have totally different wiring and amplification, I will let you decide what values to use, but frankly, it will be a hard-go, with out optimizing the amplification and the wiring. EXPERIMENT freely, with the German brands I have given you herein. Trust my suggestion Don, but use YOUR ears. Have FUN !!

BTW, NO CAP I HAVE EVER HEARD, equals the expensive DynamiCap 4.0 and 10.0 E caps, with modded lead outs. I HAVE / USE the 4.0 Es across every spot on my ALTEC A7-800 crossover, and I would NOT listen to ALTEC speakers without them in place, for one millisecond of my life..

Jeff LowOhms
    Ok thanks for the suggestions.

I have a few of the WIMA MKP series. I'll have to see what number they are.

I checked out those MKP1 caps at Mouser. They have the .1uf and .22uf in different voltages up to 1600v. From 5-7 bucks each. I'll grab some of those on my next order from them.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I checked out those MKP1 caps at Mouser. They have the .1uf and .22uf in different voltages up to 1600v. From 5-7 bucks each. I'll grab some of those on my next order from them.
    May just do the same, price is within reach and if they are as good as Jeff(LowOhms) states, then good value.

Senior Hostboard Member LowOhms's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Oopps, No No, not MKP1s,..... FKP1s are the small value bypasses. Just download the WIMA datasheet, and read what their Engineers write about their cap, and you will come to understand.

Jeff Low Ohms

Senior Hostboard Member Elitopus1's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LowOhms View Post
    Oopps, No No, not MKP1s,..... FKP1s are the small value bypasses. Just download the WIMA datasheet, and read what their Engineers write about their cap, and you will come to understand.

Jeff Low Ohms
    Whoops typo on my part. The ones I looked up on Mouser, and the ones I have at home are the FKP1. Unfortunately the ones I already have are too small for bypass caps. They are .0047uf 1600v. We scrapped some circuit boards at work. I removed them before they got tossed. Already "burned in"

I'll pick up some bigger values from Mouser.
    Last edited by Elitopus1; February 4th, 2017 at 03:45 PM.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

... The ones I looked up on Mouser, and the ones I have at home are the FKP1. Unfortunately the ones I already have are too small for bypass caps. They are .0047uf 1600v. We scrapped some circuit boards at work. I removed them before they got tossed. Already "burned in"

I'll pick up some bigger values from Mouser.
    Be interested if you hear an improvement. Bypass caps don't cost much and easy enough to do. Although I'm not sure if my playback has the finesse to produce a result.

Are these any good? "0.22uF / 600V, Russian *PTFE +/- 5% Capacitor"

Russian FT-3 (600V) Caps

Greg
    Last edited by xinu; February 4th, 2017 at 04:52 PM. Reason: link color

Senior Hostboard Member endeeinn's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I bought some K75-10 and K75-12 last night. The K75-10 are .33uf 750v. The K75-12 are .22uf 1000v. It will probably take a month or so to get them from Russia
    I have used all three of the above caps. The K75-10's are the best large value caps that I've used in a passive crossover. The FT-3 Teflon's are great bypass caps for the K75-10's. The K40Y PIO small values (3300pf) are very much better than the WIMA's. I had WIMA FPK2's in my Marchand XM44 and the K40Y's put them to shame. Both the FT-3's and K40Y's are great for bypass caps and will improve any setup. Just my opinion in my systems YMMV. I have since replaced the K75-10's with Duelund Cast Tinned Foil caps and will never go back, the cost benefit is up for the individual to determine but the benefit is sure there.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)

Ok, I'll bite.
    Why are you bypassing the X-over caps?
    Enjoying Altec Speakers since 1972

Senior Hostboard Member BillWojo's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Seems like a lot of different opinions on bypass caps. I have some Russian K42Y-2 0.1uf 600V caps on the way. Nobody has mentioned the K42Y-2 series, are these not the type that I need?
    For all the hubbub about Russian caps, there seems to be very little actual info on them except on how they are constructed. No real info on the best usage for each series.

BillWojo

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast