Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

Re: OT: Russian bypass caps

I like all the other cool toys that are tied in with our audio hobby. I have always been into electronics as a hobby, and also do it for a living.

I had an old Packard Bell tube oscope. It worked but man those tubes tested low. That thing must have sat on for years! I have been looking for a newer replacement. I'm sure something will come up eventually.

Senior Hostboard Member BillWojo's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Keep an eye on Craigslist if your looking for old Tek gear. Nice thing about that is you can check it out in person.
    My buddy that picks up old scopes for tube pulls was dismantling an old Tek scope one day and I was watching. I was amazed at all the small signal tubes that were the same as used in audio preamps. Really good ones! Than it hit me, a scope is a small signal amplifier! No wonder so many of the tubes used cross over to audio applications.
    I really like the ceramic terminal strips that Tek used. I've thought about salvaging some for a build someday.

BillWojo

Senior Hostboard Member Elitopus1's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

Yeah the scope I had used quite a few clear top RCA 12au7.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

I received my caps from Russia yesterday. It only took about a month to get them. Funny thing is it only cost me 13$ shipping. The same size package would have cost 20$ if it came from California.

I'll start installing them tonight. I got 8 K75-12 .22uf 1,000v for my Markwarts 604 xovers. Also I have 4 K75-10 .33uf 750v for my A7 xovers.

All the .33uf caps tested at .33uf. All 8 of the .22uf caps tested .21uf. Thats pretty good quality I think!

Also wanted to recommend ussr-tubes.com. They came through on these. The seller answered my questions and sent exactly what I ordered. I will be doing business with them again

I'll post some of my listening impressions this weekend

Attachment 3428

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

So I bypassed all the caps on one of my Markwarts xovers. I am A/Bing it with the other one. I can definitely hear a difference.

At a glance you can hear that the bypassed side has louder HF response. It sounds like there is more sparkle on that side. It sounds like someone bumped the EQ up around 10khz-14khz. Interesting.

I will do the other side tonight. Maybe do the A7 xovers tomorrow. They are running N801 coils with Jantzen caps and no Lpad.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234